Nissan Versa sedan - more utilitarian than versatile

There are only 4 econoboxes that I know of that you can get with manual windows.  They are the Chevy Sonic, the Chevy Spark, the Ford Fiesta, and the Nissan Versa.  When it's icy outside and hitting the power window button does NOTHING, you sort of think back to manual windows.  I had them in my last car ... by design!

It's not surprising they are in the Nissan Versa.  It's supposedly the least expensive car you can buy in America.  At least, that's the case in base form with manual transmission and no options.  It costs something like $12,000 outfitted that way.

Professional reviewers all say that the Versa sedan is bread and butter transportation and nothing more.  Except for doing its job, they don't like much about it in terms of how it runs, handles, and how it's assembled.

I had a chance to rent one for one day.  It's a throwback to when cars didn't handle that well and were a little noisier.  It doesn't take any time to learn what's in the instrument panel because there's not much to learn.  Car reviewers comment on how noisy the engine is and that coupling this small engine (1.6) with a CVT brings out the worst in it, meaning that it can drone and drone when pushed, passing, or going up a hill.  I never really did that with it, but I will say that noise suppression is not one of its best qualities.  The CVT works fine in the larger Nissans such as the Altima and even the Sentra.  The Versa's ride stays settled enough but can become more unsettled than most cars if the asphalt is broken, there are normal pavement gaps, and whatnot.  Then, it jerks around.  The model they put in rental fleets is the one right above the base model, so it has power windows and cruise control.

The build quality is very downmarket with nothing in the instrument panel being appealing.  It doesn't cost anything to at least make the panel attractive instead of planting this squarish blob there as the center stack.  The seat comfort was also subpar.  This would be a difficult car to live with if driving long distances.   Also, in base form but with a 4 speed automatic, there is no cruise control.  There are very few 4 speed automatics on the lots since a $500 uptick base model with CVT does include the cruise control.  Living without cruise control these days would be problematic .... and it would add to driver fatigue.

I'm sure that, like other econoboxes made by the Japanese, this car is probably good for 10 to 15 years if driven 10,000 to 12,000 miles a year and taken care of.  You see a lot of cars in this category still on the road, just like you see quite a few GM W-bodies from the 90s still on the road.  There isn't much to go sideways in these little runts. 

The funniest thing about the Versa is its shape, particularly without the spoiler giving it some upward kick.  It looks like it's making a sad face or it looks like a dog that you've kicked in the ass (NOT something I'd do) and that is running away from you with its hind quarters sort of scrunched down.  I know that, in the U.S. News subcompact category, the Versa came in at 17 while the Sonic came in at 2 and the Fiesta came in at 3.  The little Sonic sedan, even though it costs $2 K more, is a much more attractive little car in my opinion, especially considering that you'll be looking at whatever you buy for a long time.  However, for someone short on funds and who prefers a new bread and butter ride, I'm sure they can't complain about the inherent value that comes in the basic Versa sedan.

WP_000155.jpg

nice write up.  at one of my last offices, they had hired a tech school grad, like 20 y.o. and someone who didn't have much $$$$ in his family....nor was the office i was at paying him much.  But he was able to get credit and get a loan to buy a new Versa like this, so he could drive his 35 miles one way to work every day.  

So, to serve a purpose like that, I'll call them 'new credit' and not making much $$$, first loan.  This is exactly why this car is built.  I would say Nissan does a good job with this here.  That is where Chevy should move the Sonic.  (The current sonic is nicer than the Versa though).

rather fitting this versa is by Ikea.  affordable and useful.

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 2

Speaking of...  I helped my mother lease a 2015 Versa Note hatchback after the Kia dealer refused to help her get into a second Soul lease.  I believe hers is the SV (comes with power windows/locks/mirrors) in Peacock (blue).  For a very small lady in her early 70's, it is just fine for putzing around in.  I took her to get cat litter (40 pounds worth!) yesterday and I drove her in her car because it is hard for her to get in and out of my truck.

For a cheap, rather unrefined, CVT-saddled transportation device, I have to say I have a modicum of fun driving it.  We were on a busy 4-lane road with her holding the oh-shit handle the whole time, and she said between grimaces of fear... "you like driving this little thing, don't you, whipping it around in traffic..."  I had to agree.  I actually thought for a while about buying one for myself as a work commuter.

There will always be a place for cars like this.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 2

Agreed.  The Versa in particular is very space efficient for the size of car.

The last version of the Versa was really appealing to me, the huge tall cabin with big windows in a compact footprint.  One day when i was selling i took one in on trade and I have to say though it was one of the worst driving, handling, and riding cars I have ever been in.  That wasn't the current gen, though.

I always have believed that Chevy could potentially resurrect the Chevette moniker for something along the lines of a Versa competitor.

The Sonic does well but is perceived as more expensive, and I think not as utilitarian.  Chevy would need to probably build such a rig in Korea and import them.  Spark is really too small compared to Versa.  

ocnblu, btw the way I see Suzuki finally updated and has a new Swift.  I always thought it was stupid they never had the Swift in the USA.

http://www.km77.com/01/suzuki/swift/2017/informacion-fotos-330549-p.html

there is something called the Ignis too that is revised

http://www.km77.com/01/suzuki/ignis/2017/informacion-y-fotos-326757-p.html

Fiesta is a great car, but i think Ford prices it premium.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017-03-25 at 10:05 PM, regfootball said:

rather fitting this versa is by Ikea.  affordable and useful.

Oddly enough, when I saw the pic of the Versa....that was the first thing to pop in my mind.

I says to myself: "Cool. Cheap & affordable Japanese appliance at the cheap affordable Swedish appliance store!"

Then I read your post and I was like: "Hey! I just said that!" (well, I  thought about it, not actually talked it out verbally...but I do talk to myself sometimes but this time was not one of those times...)