NYIAS Closeup: 2018 Volvo XC60: Comments

At the 2017 New York Auto Show, Volvo finally showed in the US what is likely to be one of its biggest sellers over the next few years. In spite of the rapid growth of the brand due to the public's fantastic response to the Volvo XC90 and Volvo S90 (read our review), the XC60 seems poised to eclipse even that. The current XC60 is one of the oldest models in Volvo’s lineup though it still makes up 30% of its sales. That fact really drives home how important this car is to Volvo.

You can read about the technical details of the Geneva release of the 2018 Volvo XC60 on our press release page.

Th2018 Volvo XC60 Inscription Interior - Driftwood trime XC60 is rated as a compact crossover, however it feels like it pushes the boundary into a mid-size vehicle. In the two Inscription level models I examined in New York, Volvo’s recently developing reputation for their sumptuous interiors shows.  The seats are of a very soft leather, and very well bolstered. Inscription models get an open pore wood trim called drift wood.  Momentum models come with aluminum or another open pore wood trim available as an option. Much of the hardware on the dash carries down from the larger full luxury models, somewhat of a rarity in the industry.  Volvo’s entertainment system is one of the easiest I’ve had the pleasure to use. Volvo really nails a lot of the small details on the interior, right down to the Flag of Sweden tags on the seats.

Engines will range from 250 horsepower to 407 horsepower and at launch all XC60s will come equipped with AWD.

Volvo’s current trend in pricing has been to undercut competitors on base pricing and then load up quickly on options with the top models.  It appears to be working as most new large.58efa17fd480f_2018VolvoXC60-10.jpgVolvos leave the factory as top-end Inscription trim.

The XC60 is built on the same SPA platform as S90 and XC90, both solid and strong entrants into their respective segments. I expect the trend should continue with the XC60 as Volvo enters its 90th year on a strong upswing.

View full article

3 minutes ago, Paolino said:

I LOVE Volvo's interiors lately!

They are one of my favorites in the industry right now.

Plus... you can get the XC60 with Air Ride suspension.... so that just might be the sales maker for my house. 

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

They are one of my favorites in the industry right now.

Plus... you can get the XC60 with Air Ride suspension.... so that just might be the sales maker for my house. 

I wouldn't mind an S90... not sure if it has the air ride suspension... but I'd love a car with a pillowy suspension if I could afford it. ;)

1 minute ago, Paolino said:

I wouldn't mind an S90... not sure if it has the air ride suspension... but I'd love a car with a pillowy suspension if I could afford it. ;)

Air ride is available on all of Volvo's SPA platform vehicles so far (S90, V90, V90 Cross Country, XC90, XC60).  Yes, this is the pillowy suspension you are looking for and you don't have to get the car in top trim to get it. 

Yes, but unfortunately a base FWD S90 with the air suspension is about $50,000... I do love that they don't force you to go top trim for some creature comforts.  I wish more things on cars were a la carte.

On 4/13/2017 at 7:13 PM, Paolino said:

Yes, but unfortunately a base FWD S90 with the air suspension is about $50,000... I do love that they don't force you to go top trim for some creature comforts.  I wish more things on cars were a la carte.

That really sounds about right for that level of car though.  The new S60 would probably have it available too in a few years.