ocnblu

It Ain't Easy...

i edited a config file in the system to disable that so i can drive around with a honda generator in the frunk to charge me while i'm on the highway. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FAPTurbo said:

without brakes my tesla goes faster now so winner winner chicken dinner

Law of Newton #1...

wait for it...

wait for it...

BANG!

2in1v5.gif

Edited by oldshurst442

2 hours ago, FAPTurbo said:

i edited a config file in the system to disable that so i can drive around with a honda generator in the frunk to charge me while i'm on the highway. 

What's the generator running on?

Yes I had a mini-rant against my Compass a while back, posted in Random Thoughts, but now I'm back in favor of it.  It is a real nice size, and I have had no real concrete issues with it so far, with 13.6k miles on the clock.  Winter gas does suck, but that is gas, not vehicle at fault.  My right rear tire has something stuck in it, requiring air a couple times a week in frigid temps (after my service department patched it unsuccessfully) and I have a slight interior trim creak somewhere on the passenger side.  But it starts and runs and I have had no tangible hint of the electrical woes so many report with the Jeepiats (save for an intermittent bluetooth fart).  As far as power goes, I drive it like I drove my Fiesta:  keep it in a lower gear than I would be used to in a V6, let it rev, and don't shift into 6th until I hit 55 mph.  If it stays, and that prospect seems more likely now, there could be a set of Yokohama Geolander A/T tires in its future, stock size.

100_2464.JPG

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Yes I had a mini-rant against my Compass a while back, posted in Random Thoughts, but now I'm back in favor of it.  It is a real nice size, and I have had no real concrete issues with it so far, with 13.6k miles on the clock.  Winter gas does suck, but that is gas, not vehicle at fault.  My right rear tire has something stuck in it, requiring air a couple times a week in frigid temps (after my service department patched it unsuccessfully) and I have a slight interior trim creak somewhere on the passenger side.  But it starts and runs and I have had no tangible hint of the electrical woes so many report with the Jeepiats (save for an intermittent bluetooth fart).  As far as power goes, I drive it like I drove my Fiesta:  keep it in a lower gear than I would be used to in a V6, let it rev, and don't shift into 6th until I hit 55 mph.  If it stays, and that prospect seems more likely now, there could be a set of Yokohama Geolander A/T tires in its future, stock size.

100_2464.JPG

I thought you were all the rage now on going back to a truck ZR2 Duramax Diesel or was it a ford?

ZR2.jpg

A Ford F-150 will not fit in my garage.  Too tall.  A ZR2 is also too tall, and WAY out of my price range.  I wish Chevy sold the diesel in the non-ZR2 extended cab, you can get it in the ZR2 extended.  I wonder if the new Ranger will be available with diesel in an extended cab.  The 2.7 will undoubtedly be less expensive though, and will likely mop the floor with the 3.6 Colorado.  I'd love to see a regular cab Ranger too.

Edited by ocnblu

Update, long time comin':

Turned over 30k miles this week.  No problems with the Jeep to report, however the tires... kept getting things (screws, a nail) stuck in the Firestone Destination LE tires that came on it... replaced them with... Yokohama Geolandar A/T in the stock size.  Seems to have robbed me of almost 2 MPG on average... last tank was a little over 28.  When does "winter gas" go full effect?  Seems like Pumpkin Spice comes in and MPG goes out. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

Turned over 30k miles this week.  No problems with the Jeep to report, however the tires... kept getting things (screws, a nail) stuck in the Firestone Destination LE tires that came on it... replaced them with... Yokohama Geolandar A/T in the stock size.  Seems to have robbed me of almost 2 MPG on average... last tank was a little over 28.  When does "winter gas" go full effect?  Seems like Pumpkin Spice comes in and MPG goes out. 

Yeah I need to buy tires for the Beetle also. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

interesting you say that. I've noticed a drop in MPG and I almost want to say performance on the Encore when I switched from the Continentals to Goodyear Triple Treads.  It's been a while since the switch-over, but it is still noticeable.  If I keep it long enough, I may go back to the Continentals.

Light snow traction on the Triple-Treads has been excellent for an all-season tire though. 

• Upvote 2

I think the mileage on my GC went up when I switched from the original Goodyear Forteras to Michelins Defender ATs about 9k miles ago...

The Defender ATs have been good in snow for me, but then again I really haven't driven much in snow since I've been back here.  Since I work out of the house I can stay in when the weather is really bad. 

I will stick with my Michelins. They have been awesome on my SS and Escalade. The rest of the SUV family has BF Goodrich All Terrain that i just love too.

Drew, I had Fortera Triple Treads on my '07 Sierra 2WD, and I was very pleased with their snow performance.  I was concerned, but with a little weight in the bed, those tires and G80 rear end, it went right up a snow covered, steep hill.  A steady foot on the throttle helped.  I also put them on my '09 Cobalt, and that little car was actually a polar bear in the snow... made it up the hill in my development with 8-9 inches of snow pre-plowing, just a'pushin'!

20 hours ago, dfelt said:

I will stick with my Michelins. They have been awesome on my SS and Escalade. The rest of the SUV family has BF Goodrich All Terrain that i just love too.

I installed Michelin Premier on my wife's MDX last year.  They are very quiet and have great handling in dry and wet, but snow traction was a little disappointing since they were rated very highly by Tire Rack.  I think the previous tires did better on the snow but were definitely not as good on the dry and wet.

Just put Michelin Pilot Sport all-season on my car, will see how they will handle the winter and some spirited driving.

On 10/18/2018 at 5:20 AM, ocnblu said:

I think I read somewhere that the blends start in the end of September in some places and slowly spreads from then.

On 10/18/2018 at 7:42 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

interesting you say that. I've noticed a drop in MPG and I almost want to say performance on the Encore when I switched from the Continentals to Goodyear Triple Treads.  It's been a while since the switch-over, but it is still noticeable.  If I keep it long enough, I may go back to the Continentals.

Light snow traction on the Triple-Treads has been excellent for an all-season tire though. 

I's wager the Contis were a LRR tire whereas the Triple Treads are not. 

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I's wager the Contis were a LRR tire whereas the Triple Treads are not. 

Could be. I wanted something that would be better than a normal All-Season in the snow to avoid going full snow tires on the Buick, but that hasn't seemed to work out. 

4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Could be. I wanted something that would be better than a normal All-Season in the snow to avoid going full snow tires on the Buick, but that hasn't seemed to work out. 

The ExtremeContact DWS were fantastic in the snow on my Mercedes. I would always suggest those as an all-season that sees some snow time. They're not an LRR tire but if you're looking for good snow traction I don't think there is that combination on a good all-season.

Fantastic for an all-season*

14 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Drew, I had Fortera Triple Treads on my '07 Sierra 2WD, and I was very pleased with their snow performance.  I was concerned, but with a little weight in the bed, those tires and G80 rear end, it went right up a snow covered, steep hill.  A steady foot on the throttle helped.  I also put them on my '09 Cobalt, and that little car was actually a polar bear in the snow... made it up the hill in my development with 8-9 inches of snow pre-plowing, just a'pushin'!

Getting going is fine on the Goodyear Triple Treads plus the excellent AWD in the Encore.... stopping in snow hasn't always been as confident.  The Dunlop WinterSports on the CR-V definitely do better. 

My OE continentals(ContiProContacts) on my Escape and also Focus aren't the best in the snow. Starting from a stop isn't terrible but braking is a little sketchy and I feel them give away a little quicker than I feel confident in when turning as well. They're "adequate" at best. It scares me knowing how many people have those on their car in the snow as they're an OE tire. 

My Conti DSW's were pretty good in the snow for one year, but second year in I went back to having a winter set.  No more $700+ CAD Michelin or Bridgestone winter sets for me, $250 Chinese Sailun tire set I had put on have been more than adequate, about to go into fourth winter with them.

Edited by frogger

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

The ExtremeContact DWS were fantastic in the snow on my Mercedes. I would always suggest those as an all-season that sees some snow time. They're not an LRR tire but if you're looking for good snow traction I don't think there is that combination on a good all-season.

Fantastic for an all-season*

Michelin Premier LTX  I got for my wife's car were rated even better than Continentals for snow traction on Tire Rack but I was somewhat disappointed last winter. 

I guess hard to beat real winter tire.  I guess it is just a matter of how much snow you really getting to make it getting winter tires worth it.

5 hours ago, ykX said:

I installed Michelin Premier on my wife's MDX last year.  They are very quiet and have great handling in dry and wet, but snow traction was a little disappointing since they were rated very highly by Tire Rack.  I think the previous tires did better on the snow but were definitely not as good on the dry and wet.

Just put Michelin Pilot Sport all-season on my car, will see how they will handle the winter and some spirited driving.

I put on both my SS and Escalade the LTX tires and they handle the dry, wet and snow really well. Course both are also awd.

4 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Getting going is fine on the Goodyear Triple Treads plus the excellent AWD in the Encore.... stopping in snow hasn't always been as confident.  The Dunlop WinterSports on the CR-V definitely do better. 

Michellin LTX have been awesome dry, wet and snow starting and stopping.