I Drove a Manual V12 Aston Martin......

......and now I have never wanted something so badly in my life.

Earlier I got a chance to take our 2017 Aston Martin V12 Vantage S Coupe out. Nothing crazy. about a 10 mile loop through some local roads with a few esses and sweepers. Seven speed dogleg manual transmission. My. Gawd. Easily the most fun, coolest, most charismatic car I've ever driven by a comfortable margin. The sound, the power delivery, the shifter, steering, the physicality of it. Just unlike anything else I've ever been in. I drove it right after a Gallardo LP550-2 Spyder E-gear, and the Brit was so, so much enjoyable to drive. It's just intoxicating. You have to drive it, and it's not easy to drive. It's not delicate, and it's not cosseting. The steering is heavy, and direct, and full of feel. The throttle is micrometer shard and precise. As are the brakes. The shifter is delightfully mechanical feeling and a joy to use. Just be careful with the 2-3 up change lest you have one very, very pricey money shift into first. Dogleg transmission problems and all that. It's really just an incredibly immersive, involving car that you could spend a lifetime learning all the wonderful nuances and idiosyncrasies of. 

I can't fathom having the ability to own such a car and letting it go. It's simply spectacular. I've had the privilege to drive a lot of fun and cool cars in my day, and this is the one that will stick with me and make me long for another taste more than any other. This was the high water mark. 

As for the Lambo, it was pretty cool. Sounded great. The RWD layout definitely added some improved steering feel I felt like in comparison to the AWD car I recall driving several years ago. E-gear is a mess, but also adds a layer of involvement that would otherwise be missing. Would definitely be way better with a proper manual. The aforementioned steering is rather heavy, and does not result in as sharp of direction change as you'd expect. It's certainly good, but not great. It feels a bit unwieldy and a tad nervous. It was a fun drive, but mostly a one and done for me. It doesn't have enough tactility, nor outright performance to excuse it's general bad behavior. Think I'd rather an R8, unless we're talking a 6MT Balboni 550-2. 

• Agree 4

9 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

They are both cars in our inventory. I had to take them to another store to have photos taken.

Lucky Man, so glad someone got to drive them. :P 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, ykX said:

Very nice, I am very jealous, I am big fan of Astons. :) 

No pictures?

So would you take Vantage over 911? :)

I would take this Aston over any car I've ever driven by a decent margin. The only cars that really come close are the AMG GTS and 997.2 GT3.

Probably the only 911 I would take over it would be 991 R or GT3 RS, or a new 991.2 GT3 w/ 6MT.

I'll try to post some pictures up here later.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

They are both cars in our inventory. I had to take them to another store to have photos taken.

I am sure you suffered horribly with your bad day at work...(not!)

Highly jealous!

Chris

1 hour ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I would take this Aston over any car I've ever driven by a decent margin. The only cars that really come close are the AMG GTS and 997.2 GT3.

Probably the only 911 I would take over it would be 991 R or GT3 RS, or a new 991.2 GT3 w/ 6MT.

I'll try to post some pictures up here later.

Thanks!

• Agree 2