How do you keep focused?

Whenever I'm off from school and work terms, I tend to slack off a lot, even when I have a lot of crap that I need to sort out. But I can't seem to focus on the right things, either start slacking off on the net, playing games, or watching TV series on my computer. How do you keep yourself focused on work at hand??

I come to class in my new Lexus GS. If I don't pay attention and the sensor detect an impending question asked by the professor, my GS will automatically use embedded voice recognition technology to replicate my vocal patterns and use the 15-speaker Mark Levison sound system to accuratly project the correct answer culled from the on-board World Book Encyclopedia DVD.

I come to class in my new Lexus GS. If I don't pay attention and the sensor detect an impending question asked by the professor, my GS will automatically use embedded voice recognition technology to replicate my vocal patterns and use the 15-speaker Mark Levison sound system to accuratly project the correct answer culled from the on-board World Book Encyclopedia DVD.

[post="10249"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Either have automated classrooms or don't. Anything in between from topic-departure warnings to self-written essays to this is half-ass crap. :P Edited by Bimmer325

Unless it's something that is required to be done immediately, do little by little at a time. Writing a 10 page report the night before it's due is a hell of a lot harder than writing one page a day for 10 days. I crave structure in my life for some reason so I keep a mental list of all I need to do, along with a mental schedule. Time management is huge for me, along with repetition. Things that need to be done on a daily basis I do in the same order at usually the same time every day. For example, getting ready for school every day is the same thing: shower, get dressed, eat breakfast, read the newspaper, finish getting ready, out the door.

I think I would actually consider Adderall if it weren't addicting..

[post="10369"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

unless your doctor says you need it, you should probably stay away from it. adderall is just a prescription grade pure amphetamine (actually racemic amphetamines - two salts of each of amphetamine and its stereoisomer, dextroamphetamine), which is speed, which is highly psychologically addictive, not to mention its tendency to cause a fairly quick tolerance buildup.

for most of you guys reading, discipline, planning, and knowing your limits will take you very far--you don't need drugs to focus (not even caffeine).

for most of you guys reading, discipline, planning, and knowing your limits will take you very far--you don't need drugs to focus (not even caffeine).

[post="10617"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What he said. I started taking Strattera in February, the only changes I saw were changes I made involving study habits. I quit taking it last month and, so far, this semester is going smoothly.

To really concentrate, I need to be in isolation for a long, long time. It usually takes a while for distracting thoughts to leave my head. Once I do that I can make some real progress. Background music (usually something classical or instrumental) sometimes helps, and sometimes it makes things worse. No TV, at all, under any circumstances, even Game 7 of the World Series. Despite several all-nighters and almost-all-nighters, I've never had the need to use any kind of "upper". If I fight my urge to go to sleep, I'll get my "second wind" which usually lets me stay up till I'm done with whatever I have to do.

Strattera (Atomoxetine) isn't much better than adderall (amphetamine/dextroamphetamine). While the latter is a dopamine/norepinephrine agonist, triggering the release of a.) the neurotransmitter responsible for the brain's natural 'reward system', and b.) the neutotransmitter responsible for mediating the parasympathetic nervous system and parts of the brain related to 'attention', the former is simply a selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor: it creates a positive norepinephrine concentration in synapses by plugging some of the drain holes it's supposed to run out. In simpler terms: Adderall causes production of attention-related hormones, while Strattera causes your brain to make "more efficient" use of the ones it already has in play. Both are dangerous. The only real difference I suspect is that strattera is a bit less liable to be abused, but seems to have equal or higher incidences of toxicity compared to plain ol' speed.