New Malibu - not once, but twice - review

Recently, in a few bargain basement rentals of 3 days and 1 day, I had a full size reserved and was upgraded to "anything you want" from a compact, respectively.  The first time, it was a white Malibu.  And, with nothing but SUVs to choose from the second time, the only car I found was a Malibu in the odd pepperdust metallic that Chevrolet is currently offering.

My review of the cars is largely the same.  However, the first Malibu, with around 30,000 miles, had a drone that was either due to the tires or a bearing.  The second time around, the car had less than 7,000 miles, allowing me to review it more objectively, so I held off on doing so.

I may have already mentioned somewhere that I was not really fond of this car when it was introduced ... and I'm still not fond of it.  However, I knew damn well that the driving experience would be positive.  After all, something with 1.5 liters under the hood is now considered a full size car, so they had to do something right.

Notwithstanding the fact that I dislike odd numbers (in addresses, zip codes, engine displacements, etc. - lol), the 1.5 handles the Malibu competently, either pulling away from a light under normal throttle or when you step on it to pass or merge.  The engine hum is noticeable, but it's not off-putting.  However, the best part of the powertrain is the 8 speed automatic transmission.  The first 2 shifts are silky smooth, yet still perceptible, while the remainder of them go unnoticed.  In full highway mode, the car can get 37 or 38 mpg.  On the second car, the engine shut off at idle was working properly and was not annoying when pulling away from the light.  It was a little rougher in the car with more mileage.

This platform/chassis is supposed to be taut and it is.  It's one of the car's strong suits.  It's not taut in a rigid (to the driver) sort of way, but in a secure and smooth way.  The car rides very well on nicely paved boulevards, on the interstate, and on two lane roads alike.

The seats are comfortable, but also very conventional.  I like sitting up a little higher and the best adjustment wasn't good enough.  The dashboard is standard Chevrolet, with sculpting common to the Cruze's dash et. al.  However, I do not like the incorporation of the screen in the center stack that protrudes upward like an open laptop, which is almost a Mazda trademark.  The controls are straightforward, especially when compared to how busy the main cluster and center stack are on its rival, the Ford Fusion.  I'd seriously recommend taking about 5 minutes to familiarize yourself with the lay of the land and making adjustments before motoring off.

I don't like the styling of the Malibu all that much.  Its squished proportions are much more suitable to the Cruze, where they look really good, but seem a little too horizontal for this big of a car.  Viewpoints I'm not crazy about are the front grille / lamp assembly and especially the rear 3/4 view where the kink in the molding of the rearmost opera window drives me nuts.  Inside, the kink is nonexistent, with thick pillars covering it up.  As for visibility, looking to the right rear isn't all that bad.  However, looking rearward on the driver's side is tougher, owing to the headrests, B-pillar, and C-pillar.   One still turns their head, but it sure doesn't help much.

I wouldn't buy one.  I know the professional reviewers look favorably on this car.  I'd probably choose it over a Ford Fusion.  I just think this package, if you will, works better on the Chevy Cruze.  I very much liked that car.  And, with the Malibu being sort of a Cruze on steroids, one can expect a little more room, quiet, and stability that is part and parcel of the wider stance.

People must like them.  You see a lot of them.  In fact, one 70-something ex-hippie driving either a Volvo or a Mercedes and pulling up next to me at a rural gas station started asking me about it.  He told that his wife loves the new Malibu and that she has the mid 2000s one with more notch-back styling which had been fairly reliable for her.  He walked around it and made some comments.  What he said about the rear is that it alludes to the look of the old Ford Torino fastback coupe, and I'd have to say I probably agree.  Still, I wouldn't mind a more upright backlite in conjunction with its somewhat attractive rear fascia.

I'm finding that, with GM, there's now sort of a canyon in likable mid-size to full-size cars in the $25,000 to $30,000 MSRP range, given that only Chevrolet and Buick are in that niche.  While I'm not expecting the return of either a 1992 Buick Riviera or Olds Toronado, I wouldn't mind a return to shapes and greenhouses in cars that are much more to my liking.

• Agree 3

i can say due to driving this same car everyday you are pretty accurate.  

I'm really in a love / not love relationship with mine, i plan to do an 18 month review soon.  As much as this car improved over the last one, there is still room for lots more improvement.

I'm really REALLY hoping to check out the new Regal as soon as it arrives.  The hatchback, lighter interior choice,  and 2.0 would improve my opinion of the very similar car a lot.  A moonroof would help with the claustrophobia.  I think if GM hasn't done well with the new Regal then I may be done with sedans for good (apart from the lure of a used CTS).  I might even look at Accords next time.

I know what you mean about the GM mid size void.  And i too, would still get this over a Fusion but GM really just wants to sell SUV's and trucks nowadays so i don't see lots of real choice from GM in these types of cars any time soon.

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1

it's funny you say that.  i was looking on autotrader for used cars this wkd and it is scary, there have been some of the new version Cruze hitting the used listings and they are being posted with prices cheaper than the previous Cruze.  2016's with new body style, 30k miles and such for 12-13 grand.  scary.  The older ones there is a glut but they still hold higher prices a lot of the time.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/13/2017 at 9:29 PM, regfootball said:

i can say due to driving this same car everyday you are pretty accurate.  

I'm really in a love / not love relationship with mine, i plan to do an 18 month review soon.  As much as this car improved over the last one, there is still room for lots more improvement.

It has improved.  Yes.  And it has become more sophisticated.  However, as you say, there is room for improvement ... a little bit here and a little bit there.

The preceding model was just easier for me to live with, day in and day out, based on these rentals, even if it was more old school.

• Agree 1