Chevy Camaro, EV, Hybrid, What do you think? Discuss!

David

Chevy Camaro, what should the future powertrains include?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What is your choice for the future Powertrains of the Camaro? Should they do a EV, Hybrid, both or none?

• Do a EV only!
    • Do a Hybrid only!
    • Add both EV and Hybrid!
    • None, they should stick with ICE only!

Chevy Camaro, EV, Hybrid, What do you think? Discuss!

We are on the cusp of change, change is never liked by all, but is inevitable. With that said, and brought up by other members in some other threads, I felt it was time we had a section to discuss what the future of the Camaro might be.

Will it include an EV only powertrain, Hybrid, both and will AWD come to the Camaro? Or due to being a pony car, should it stay ICE only.

Sound off on what you think should happen and your thoughts about this!

Camaro is a muscle/sports car, maybe eventually it will become electric or hybrid but people are not buying it because of that.

I am planning to buy a Mustang in a few years.  Is it the fastest car? No . But I am not buying it to set records on a track, I want to buy it for my enjoyment and part of the enjoyment on the weekend drive is hearing the rumble and scream of the V8, to row my own gears, to have RWD handling.

However, eventually I will consider electric or hybrid car as my daily driver.

I'd prefer ICE only but that isn't exactly the most realistic thing to ask.

As for adding electricity to its propulsion.. I think a full on EV would be best. Do it like a Tesla and make it performance oriented. Don't do it for efficiency's sake. If they're going to put electricity into a sports car the best way to get the point to the people that electricity rocks is to make it quick as sh!t. 

• Agree 1

@ykX @Drew Dowdell @ccap41 So what do you guys think about AWD, just a motor front and rear between the wheels or in-wheel hub motors with Torque vectoring for maximum push in and out of corners?

I agree with Drew that EV with it's 100% Torque from Zero and continue to dial in the driving characteristics is an outstanding way to take the Camaro and even the Mustang to the next level of performance.

Anyone that has seen the videos or actually been in a Tesla with Ludicrous mode knows the gut pulling G's of performance fun.

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

@ykX @Drew Dowdell @ccap41 So what do you guys think about AWD, just a motor front and rear between the wheels or in-wheel hub motors with Torque vectoring for maximum push in and out of corners?

I agree with Drew that EV with it's 100% Torque from Zero and continue to dial in the driving characteristics is an outstanding way to take the Camaro and even the Mustang to the next level of performance.

Anyone that has seen the videos or actually been in a Tesla with Ludicrous mode knows the gut pulling G's of performance fun.

No one has successfully done in-wheel hub motors yet as they have some negative performance characteristics that will be difficult to overcome. 

I don't care how they do it as long as they make it torquey... 

• Like 1

Personally, I can see Corvette becoming pure electric or some kind of hybrid way before the Camaro.  Maybe AWD too, however they will choose to do it.

Vette has to compete in much higher bracket than Camaro, it needs the performance of electric motors, and it can afford to be more expensive with more technology.

Edited by ykX

I want Camaro to continue being what it is. A V8 muscle (pony) car. Yeah yeah...a Camaro is nowhere near being the classic muscle car it once was as now its a world class 2+2 sports car handling twisties and accelerating like mad and being basically a world class performer. Its still a big V8 brute though...

With that being said, how the Camaro evolved into this new  persona since its resurrection is how it should re-define itself moving forward into the future by also being a Tesla roadster fighter...with both convertible and coupe EV offerings.  Eventually the V8 will be gone...

Im not saying this transformation 

(pun intended: Bumblebee robot transformer and  electrical transformer...)

Image result for chip and dale gif

Im not saying this transformation should be done tomorrow...but sometime in the next decade. In the meantime, hybridization should be introduced shortly.