Do you like the "laptop left open" feature on dashboard center stacks?

trinacriabob

Do you like the latest info center design that looks like a "laptop left open" atop a dashboard's center stack?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the latest info center design that looks like a "laptop left open" atop a dashboard's center stack?

• Yes
    • Mostly yes
    • Mostly no
    • No
    • Other - explain

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/2019 at 04:00 AM

Many brands are now featuring what I call the "laptop left open" look atop the center stack of newer vehicles.  Mazda is doing this, and some German marques are doing this, too.  It appears that the new Ford Focus will also feature it.

Mazda 6 (?)

BMW 3 series

2019 Ford Focus

The Malibu has it, sort of, but it looks fairly well integrated.

Latest Malibu

I do not like most of them.  I can handle it on the Malibu.  It may be convenient but, in most cases, it looks ugly ... to me.

Edited by trinacriabob

:puke:This trend that I believe came from Mercedes-Benz is just hideous to the dash design and what I think is a major safety hazard of a big screen sticking up in the center of the dash. Especially if your short.

Just NO NO, HELL NO to this! :fryingpan:

Some are much better than others. The bezel on them can make or break them. The BMW there definitely looks the best with the smallest bezel and it looks the best incorporated into the center stack. 

Why would that angle be optimal in the Malibu? The Ford focus' looks the cheapest..  It even looks better in the EcoSport.. 

EcoSport.jpg

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

:puke:This trend that I believe came from Mercedes-Benz is just hideous to the dash design and what I think is a major safety hazard of a big screen sticking up in the center of the dash. Especially if your short.

Just NO NO, HELL NO to this! :fryingpan:

Cadillac was actually a pretty early adopter of this. I don't know if it was technically a "first"

2008 CTS

2008-cadillac-cts-interior-photo-205246-s-1280x782.jpg

• Agree 2

They look like a tablet glued to the dash.  I prefer the integrated screens like FCA vehicles have with UConnect. 

These look much better--integrated into the dash rather than sticking up.

2019-jeep-grand-cherokee-top-hd.jpg

06-Limited-02-l.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

On 9/24/2018 at 3:29 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

Cadillac was actually a pretty early adopter of this. I don't know if it was technically a "first"

2008 CTS

I actually like that dash.  That center screen seems to retract.  I like the old school chronometer - a la Chrysler 300 - nice touch.

16 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I actually like that dash.  That center screen seems to retract.  I like the old school chronometer - a la Chrysler 300 - nice touch.

Yes it did retract and while retracted you got a 2.5"~ high color screen for things like radio controls.  The 2nd gen CTS and 2010+ SRX had it. 

• Agree 2

On 9/24/2018 at 12:29 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

2008 CTS

The difference that I see is as you pointed out, retracts down to a small screen with functions still if you do not use the radio or nav, but they are thick and strong looking compared to the paper thin units the Germans used that do not retract and look like they would break off pretty easy.

18 hours ago, dfelt said:

The difference that I see is as you pointed out, retracts down to a small screen with functions still if you do not use the radio or nav, but they are thick and strong looking compared to the paper thin units the Germans used that do not retract and look like they would break off pretty easy.

Yes, the one used by Cadillac looks somewhat integral.  The thin upright ones look misplaced and like they would break.  It's an immediate turn-off.  I thought the Mazda 6 was a decent looking vehicle.  Then I sat inside one at the auto show and thought "no thanks."