January Car Spotter

Thank you for starting this thread for this month.

On New Year's Day, I saw a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix in near perfect condition.  While not a big deal, what made it unusual and definitely a 2004 was that it was Fusion Orange (IIRC), or basically metallic rust, that was only offered that year.  It had the base alloy wheels.  None of the GP's W-body siblings were offering an orange or a rust paint job that same year.

It's great to see so many of these on the road some 14 to 15 years later.

84869875.jpg

This will always be one of my favorite dashboards, even though the build quality and materials aren't top shelf.  It has always made this a fun car to drive (rent).

229595.jpg

• Agree 1

Not really a 'spot' but stickin it in here anyways.

I stored this '63 in my shop a little over a year for a relative, he finally sold it in Dec. and the guy paid up/picked it up today. He has restored other Corvettes, says he's going to do this one, too. Original 340 HP 327 4bbl/4-spd car. Will need a body-off going over- has been sitting since 1969 (!!!!). Godspeed, lil plastic Chevy!

DSC05404.JPG

• Agree 4

We got about 3 inches of snow.  I went riding and stopped at the local Chevy and Ford dealers.  Ford place has moved to their spanking new building (on the site of their old, old building, which is closer to town on the same road as their old building).  Chevy dealer has a white Blazer AWD RS, MSRP $50.7k.  It is pretty, wouldn't want to replace 21" tires as optioned, wouldn't spend $50.7k on it even if I had the money.  First Blazer I've seen in person.

Ford dealer has THREE Ranger Supercrews, all Lariats, all black in various states of spec, MSRP $44-$45k.  First Rangers I've seen!  While the Blazer left me neutral due to its price tag, I actually got tickled looking at the Rangers, like I used to when viewing a new vehicle for the first time.  They look great, TALL but great!  Now I want one, spec'd more conservatively of course.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 1

Got a few inches of new snow last night.  Sunny out today, i went out to shovel the driveway and clear off my sister's Trax--the way the snow blew, only the left side and roof had snow, right side was completely clear.   Jeep is in the garage, coated in salt and slush from running around downtown yesterday afternoon...need to run it through the carwash this week. 

• Agree 1

Saw some interesting newer Cadillacs in the last few days:

I saw a Cadillac funeral procession car with the amber strobe light on top of its roof.  It was not a hearse.  It was a black CT6.  It looked slick.

An XT4 was next to me on the freeway.  I like the way they have modified the tail lamps by taking them down along the exterior edges of the rear lift gate and then boomeranging them back toward the center.  Nicely done.

Stayed home this weekend w/ all the foul weather, and have watched a bunch of movies.  One old movie w/ Robert Mitchum (Foreign Intrigue, 1956) had this neat '49 Delahaye 135 cabriolet...blue w/ red interior, the top was half open in some scenes.

Also watched another Mitchum film--'The Friends of Eddie Coyle' (1973)...gritty '70s crime film set in the Boston area..had a gold late 60s Mercedes S-class, a neat lime green '71 Road Runner, several '71-72 Galaxies and LTDs, a dark green w/ white top '69 Camaro SS, a Karmann Ghia, and Mitchum drove a battered matte black '62 Cadillac Sedan de Ville. 

i121146.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a new Regal sport wagon alongside me today.  It was either charcoal or black.  It was ahead of me, beside me, and behind me as traffic flow varied, so I got to check it out.  The front end is okay.  The side profile is not so okay.  The roofline thickens too much toward the rear and this is accentuated by the chrome molding that follows that sweep backward.  The rear is rather nondescript but I do like the way the rectangular dual exhaust outlets are slotted flush with the rear bumper.  I think I like the sedan better but I definitely like the rakish look of the last model better.  Sayonara, January 2019.