Car commercial from your youth

What's a car commercial from your youth that really stuck in your head over the years... it doesn't have to be a car you particularly liked, but one that was unique and you remember well.

One of the ones that really stands out for me was this Isuzu Rodeo commercial. A older teacher in a monotone voice slowly instructs a class of coloring 1st graders to "Stay between the lines, the lines are our friends".  Then one precocious little girl decides to scribble all over her coloring book. She grows up to buy an Isuzu Rodeo and goes off-roading.   For whatever reason my dad got a kick out of it and it really stuck in my head all these years.

So what's one that you remember that just sticks in your head?

I got several. 

Typical 80s groove!  

And the "Like a Rock" Chevy truck commercials. Only because I always loved the song.  I loved the 1st and 2nd  "Like a Rock"commercials too, in the beginning, but then I got fed up of the those commercials and eventually got fed up of the song because of the commercials. 

I was slightly older with these ones

And I know that the topic is when we were young, but I love this recent commercials that have had a mark on me as well.

I wont do all the Led Zeppelin Caddy commercials, Ill just do one, my favorite of all of them. But I do love all of them.

And then there is the Dodge Brothers commercials. I love those too!

Ill probably will never forget these. 

Edited by oldshurst442

I remember Pontiac ads being fun...though being cars and not motor cycles I thought 'get on your Pontiac and ride' was a bit odd.

Cougar ads stuck in my head growing up..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vMpg1-V1cg

There is one from '85-86 with the Cougar and the old song 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough' but I can't find it.

I remember liking 'The Boss in Back' '82 Mustang GT ad..

And the '87 Mustang GT ad is for the car that stole my heart as a teenager...really want to get mine back..

Edited by Robert Hall

This one always stuck in my head. Maybe due to my love of the TV show Fantasy Island, but ya gotta love the way he talked to you through the TV.

Course this was my favorite Spoof too of this commercial:

Loved this review from my time and what made me fall in love with the mid 1980's Monte Carlo SS. Especially the Areo version.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

@NINETY EIGHT REGENCY I do like those Cadillac Style and Great American Road Belongs to Buick commercials.... I just don't remember them from when I was young 😞  I do remember the Silhouette one with Spock.... but that's because I was more of a Star Trek nerd than the car nerd I am now. 

Hahah! Yes, that one!

That second Riviera one reeks of desperation though. That was 1988, the first year of the re-extended version after the disastrous shorty Riv.  "A classic returns" and "Riviera is back!" even though it never actually left is Buick's way of saying "We're sorry, please come shop us again!?"

• Sad 1

If you noticed this is when GM was messing up badly.  We are still paying for that to this day. The downsized era (1985-1991) did a lot of damage to GM.  The E bodies were cash cows to GM, and they lost buyers and money.  The up sized Riviera was trying to win buyers back.  The funny thing, it was the longest Buick outside the wagon that year and in 1990 also. It was longer than Park Avenue.  

Cadillac did it too with up upsized Deville and Fleetwood although more effective. 

Here are a few more:

Upsized:

Downsized

• Thanks 1

^ [* only redeemable at the Pittsburgh Cheers & Gears Gift Shoppe'] ;)

I don't have any to list here but wanted to add - that compilation of Dodge Brothers commercials (perhaps unsurprisingly; being it's me) may be the best auto commercials EVAR. EVER. And I just watched a trio of the Harley Earl/Buick commercials- I didn't find them inspirational or even really that cohesive of a message. And of course I wanted to like them.

Long running ads with celebrities always felt like a huge net negative. Tiger Woods/Buick - don't believe or care. Dick Van Patton & Olds was a desirability KILLER, IMO. A celebrity's paid endorsement rings more hollow than a 'real people's.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ [* only redeemable at the Pittsburgh Cheers & Gears Gift Shoppe'] ;)

I don't have any to list here but wanted to add - that compilation of Dodge Brothers commercials (perhaps unsurprisingly; being it's me) may be the best auto commercials EVAR. EVER. And I just watched a trio of the Harley Earl/Buick commercials- I didn't find them inspirational or even really that cohesive of a message. And of course I wanted to like them.

Long running ads with celebrities always felt like a huge net negative. Tiger Woods/Buick - don't believe or care. Dick Van Patton & Olds was a desirability KILLER, IMO. A celebrity's paid endorsement rings more hollow than a 'real people's.

Yet the Chrysler commercials with Ricardo Montalban were really good I thought even if the auto's were not memorable.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=car commercial with ricardo montalban&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=car commercial with ricardo montalban&sc=1-37&sk=&cvid=6FAE91254C15464BA6B757257493F10B