I don't know nothin'

A while back, my neighbors put their little house cat outside because she "attacked" their daughter (I think it may have been the other way around, but I digress). She was in heat. So of course a tomcat got to her and knocked her up... she was a homeless little girl in trouble. They put food out for her, but didn't let her back inside any more. She's been hopping over from their deck to mine from time to time if she knows my door is open. She'd been trying to get into my house. I've been petting her and being nice to her, but I didn't want to let her in.

I had the door open this morning, she heard me through the screen door, so she hopped over and started crying her little eyes out with more urgency than before, staring at me through the screen. I sat down in the doorway with my legs on the deck and she lay there between my legs, nuzzling my feet and looking up at me.

That's when the contractions started. She wouldn't let me go, she lay on my right foot, with her paw on my left. About 25 minutes later, out pops the first of six kittens... born on my deck. The mackerel of birth!

I had to leave to run some errands. My neighbors gathered the brood up and put them over on their side. Now they want to take the whole kitten kaboodle to a shelter.

See... I was raised to care for animals... for my neighbors to kick the cat out when she was in heat is inexcusable, imo, especially when it probably was not the cat's fault to begin with.

Let me tell you, we did that for the cat we have now.

First female cat we've ever had. Basically neighbors left her out in the cold, etc when she was knocked up. She adopted US! We didnt adopt her.

Well anyway, she was as big as a house. My mom and I went and purchased a nice small "dog house" for her and put hay in there. Took it home, ploped it in the bushs, she went right in, had the kittens.

THis happened for two litters. We got her fixed after the second.

Now?? She lives with us and sleeps in our home every night. We lost Tuckey about three months back and the Misses has been with us for about 8 months to a year now.

We are the same way when it comes to pets, but I'm amazed she had the cat near you, most of the time they will go off and hide and give birth.

this thread is ironic because my sister recently got a hamster... like... 2 weeks ago... and we got home after a birthday party today and found that the hamster had given birth to 5 babies... needless to say... we were surprised... lol

Wow!  Some people should not have pets.

From the sound of it they might not be capable of raising a child either. :ph34r:

Ven, there is a local organization that guarantees they will not euthanize unwanted animals brought to them. He was talking to me about it after suggesting the Humane League (which I guess has an incinerator, so I was trying to discourage him), and I jumped on the suggestion. So, I guess they're going to keep her and the litter until they're old enough to be adopted, then take them there. I still think a pet is a life commitment, but this is better than certain death, I guess.

PB, are your neighbors white trash? They sound like it.

What's with the cat not wanting to let go as she is about to give birth? They mark people and things. Sounds like she's marked YOU.

I'm not much of a cat person, but I hate to see them get the shaft. It is a domesticated living creature. On the other hand, it is EXTREMELY painful to see a dog suffer, in contrast.

this thread is ironic because my sister recently got a hamster... like... 2 weeks ago... and we got home after a birthday party today and found that the hamster had given birth to 5 babies... needless to say... we were surprised... lol

I had a hampster a few years ago that was pregnant and gave birth after I bought her. Needless to say, I woke up one morning and there were blind pink things rolling around in the bedding. By the next morning she had suffocated them all by sticking them in her mouth pouches. I guess she couldn't take care of them all?

I like cats, though. Nice job, Ocn.

Reading Sciguy's post: :blink: