Toyota Plans to Double Number of Hybrid Models

Variance

Toyota Plans to Double Number of Hybrid Models

Posted Image

Toyota is set to release twice the hybrids we have from them now by the early 2010's and reap more than four times the sales as a result. This translates to plans of one million hybrid sales by that time. Toyota is also focusing on alternative-fuel vehicles including releasing ethanol-powered vehicles in Brazil next spring.

Read "Toyota to double hybrid models" @ Yahoo

Camry

Prius

Highlander

Sienna

Tundra

Avalon

A hybrid Corolla is probably not necessary, nor a Yaris. I hope that when all Toyotas have hybrid options, the Prius dies. I'm honestly sick of looking at them.

corolla and yaris are pricey enough the way it is. for them to go hybrid would be far too pricey.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/06/hybrid_minivan.php

i'd like to see them release something like this over here w/ that styling, no seriously...sure doesn't look like anything else as bland that's here

Anything to make the mini-van world less boring is good in my book... thus, I love the Quest's styling. It's the only one that REALLY looks unique.

As for more hybrids... yay great... and how many years do you have to drive one to make up for the mark-up?

Note when they say "twice as many", they mean twice as many as a whole corporation (including Lexus). With the coming LS600h, that would translate to 12 hybrid models. The article says Toyota has seven but they only have five for sale plus the upcoming LS.

Note when they say "twice as many", they mean twice as many as a whole corporation (including Lexus). With the coming LS600h, that would translate to 12 hybrid models. The article says Toyota has seven but they only have five for sale plus the upcoming LS.

I believe there are a few hybrids sold in Japan that are not sold in the U.S. I know a new minivan Toyota released is a hybrid but it's only sold in Japan.

Camry

Prius

Highlander

Sienna

Tundra

Avalon

A hybrid Corolla is probably not necessary, nor a Yaris. I hope that when all Toyotas have hybrid options, the Prius dies. I'm honestly sick of looking at them.

Amen to that! Those are an eyesore and cluttering up the highways although I could say the same for several other newly introduced Toyotas.

How many hybrids does GM sell - not counting the commercial busses & the like?

GM currently sells two hybrids, the Sierra and Silverado hybrids...right now. Here are the plans we know are in the works.

GMT-900's, including Tahoe, Sierra, Avalanche, Escalade, etc, all get new 2 mode system in 2008 and 2009 MY, and following in '10 the Lambda's, including the new Uplander minivan and Outlook and Enclave crossovers will have it.

The Epsilons will all have the new BAS system (G6, Malibu, Aura) as well as the Theta's (Equinox, Vue, etc).

Stuff I'm sure is in the works are the Zetas, G-Bodies (when they are updated), Aveo, Cobalt, etc, with the more expensive products getting the 2 mode, the less expensive ones getting the BAS.

So yeah, they're covering the market even better than Toyota. Toyota isn't going to be able to make a hybrid that will tow ANYTHING because of the way it's designed, while both systems from GM will be able to perform comparably or better than Toyota's Synergy Drive system, while being as versatile as a non-hybrid. Put in to that perspective, I think Toyota's going to be running scared on hybrid production, NOT GM.