May Car Spotting Thread

Rain and mud, rain and mud, rain and mud.   Now getting some warm sunny weather.

3-4 days a week I'm down at my mud farm working to clean up, clean out, and get my stuff out of the muck in preparation to unload it all.  My sister and I have been able to find a fair number of old family photos and mementos.   Now that it's warmer and dryer,  I've been trying to get my late brother's vehicles up and running, so far no luck on getting most to start. Bought a few batteries, been trying to charge up others. Did get the '09 Ranger running and outside.   I've found the keys to over half of them, got a locksmith to make keys for more last week.  He couldn't key two of the motorcycles, one had a busted ignition and the other is '15 Triumph that requires the dealer to rekey.    What a mess...

My brother was obsessed with putting stickers and flags on his vehicles.

All in all, it's been frustrating and sad to deal with all of this..but I knew it was inevitable (part of why I moved back to Ohio 5 years ago was the inevitability of dealing with the farm).

IMG-6997.jpg

IMG-7042.jpg

IMG-7044.jpg

IMG-7045.jpg

IMG-7047.jpg

IMG-7049.jpg

IMG-7098.jpg

IMG-7076.jpg

IMG-7077.jpg

IMG-7078.jpg

IMG-7080.jpg

IMG-7083.jpg

IMG-7051.jpg

IMG-7053.jpg

IMG-7070.jpg

IMG-7048.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, David said:

@Robert Hall Is that a black BMW sedan in front of the Ford Ranger and a Suburban in front of it?

Yes, a 2000 740iL with an ‘89 Bronco II in front in it.    The Bronco II is also in the pic in the open barn door.   I have the keys for both, they have flat tires and dead batteries…

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Yes, a 2000 740iL with an ‘89 Bronco II in front in it.    The Bronco II is also in the pic in the open barn door.   I have the keys for both, they have flat tires and dead batteries…

Was the BMW your brothers or parents? LOL, I for some reason thought that open barn door pic was the ranger. :lol:

22 minutes ago, David said:

Was the BMW your brothers or parents? LOL, I for some reason thought that open barn door pic was the ranger. :lol:

The BMW was my brother's...he was a fan of the movie 'The Transporter', I guess..it's an odd car for him, maybe the only imported car he ever owned (over 55 years of driving he probably had 50-60 cars total)...he had 2 BMW bikes also.   Black on black 740iL. 

The Rangers are 1997 and 2009.   The '89 Bronco II does have the same front as the Rangers of that era. 

The blue '68 Cougar and white '97 Explorer Sport were my Mom's cars, she drove that Cougar a lot in the 70s-80s.  It has a 302, 3spd manual, no power steering or power brakes..less than 100k miles IIRC.   My brother's dark green '69 Fairlane 4dr sedan is an odd one--390 4bbl, automatic, A/C, base trim w/ rubber mats.  One of 8 built in that spec according to the Marti report I got.  His maroon & white '68 Cougar is an XR-7 w/ the 390 4bbl and auto. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

The BMW was my brother's...he was a fan of the movie 'The Transporter', I guess..it's an odd car for him, maybe the only imported car he ever owned (over 55 years of driving he probably had 50-60 cars total)...he had 2 BMW bikes also.   Black on black 740iL. 

The Rangers are 1997 and 2009.   The '89 Bronco II does have the same front as the Rangers of that era. 

The blue '68 Cougar and white '97 Explorer Sport were my Mom's cars, she drove that Cougar a lot in the 70s-80s.  It has a 302, 3spd manual, no power steering or power brakes..less than 100k miles IIRC.   My brother's dark green '69 Fairlane 4dr sedan is an odd one--390 4bbl, automatic, A/C, base trim w/ rubber mats.  One of 8 built in that spec according to the Marti report I got.  His maroon & white '68 Cougar is an XR-7 w/ the 390 4bbl and auto. 

Love the Transporter movies too, they are awesome for me to enjoy! :P 

Cool info about the autos. WOW 50 to 60 auto's. I can say I have owned a total of 8 auto's to date in my life. Crazy that difference. How many have you owned Robert?

8 minutes ago, David said:

Love the Transporter movies too, they are awesome for me to enjoy! :P 

Cool info about the autos. WOW 50 to 60 auto's. I can say I have owned a total of 8 auto's to date in my life. Crazy that difference. How many have you owned Robert?

I’ve had 7 cars and SUVs over almost 36 years of driving.  I tend to keep vehicles a long time…my brother went through lots of cheap rust buckets in the 70s and 80s.  

• Thanks 1

On the freeway tonight saw a clean dark red G6 convertible, top down. Don’t see those very often. Saw a red VW New Beetle convertible with the left rear taillight out and the right front headlight out.   And as proof Ohio doesn’t do inspections saw a ratty early ‘00s Silverado that had the bed barely attached to the frame, so much rust,no tailgate and the left rear fender leaning in and strapped to the right one…only one taillight.  The cab appeared partially detached from the frame also. 

18 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

On the freeway tonight saw a clean dark red G6 convertible, top down. Don’t see those very often. Saw a red VW New Beetle convertible with the left rear taillight out and the right front headlight out.   And as proof Ohio doesn’t do inspections saw a ratty early ‘00s Silverado that had the bed barely attached to the frame, so much rust,no tailgate and the left rear fender leaning in and strapped to the right one…only one taillight.  The cab appeared partially detached from the frame also. 

I honestly think there should be a national standard of safety inspection to keep the roads and auto's safe for all, I saw today when I ran out to get some errands done at lunch a Toyota Corolla and Honda Accord that both had front and rear bumper facia's missing and also tail/headlights missing. 

Driving is a privilege earned and not a right and if these people cannot keep the auto in proper working condition and safe, then those auto's need to be removed from the road. Crazy how some will drive auto's that are death traps IMHO.

Saw an old Rat rod that @balthazar would have loved all in primer grey, clearly a work in progress, but at least all bumpers, lights functional and windshield wipers were working and there.

🤔 Been a while since we have seen @balthazar posting, anyone hear from him? Hope he is all right and just busy with work.

• Agree 1

Saw a clean silver early Fiero on the road yesterday.

Friday evening on I-77 saw two morons in late model Challengers racing each other on the freeway, darting in and out of traffic...one was really loud and in a camo paint scheme.  The were driving side-by-side for a few miles, going maybe 10 over the flow of traffic, revving at each other.  At one point, in the 3rd lane a dark blue current style Shelby GT500 rolls up beside them, then takes off like a blur.... the Challengers don't give chase, but continue to change lanes and goof around...until they come upon a silver OHP Charger in the median---which pulls out and lights up behind both of them, pulls over both of them... 

• Agree 1

After 190,000 miles the dual cats and O2 sensors needed to be replaced. Dealership wanted almost $6,000 for the SS Trailblazer. Brody's auto repair wanted $2,800 for this using Magnaflow cats and Bosch O2 sensors which the SS has 6 total.

Picking up the SS, there was this Cherry Chevelle that had been brought in for a tune up.

20220526_132453.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Saw a sharp rumbly Chevelle today similar to what David saw above, with a big cowl hood and big wheels and tires..was a bright red '69.   One odd sighting was a burnt out '70s VW Beetle cabriolet on the side of a freeway off ramp.  On my street this evening saw a sharp taupe mid '80s Olds Cutlass Supreme 2dr w/ the T-tops (off).  

Drove past a farm out in the country that had an eclectic mix of dead yard cars sitting w/ grass growing up high around them near a barn--an older gray Mercedes ML AMG SUV,  a silver Honda S2000, a gray BMW Z3 roadster, a mid 00s tan Lincoln Town Car, and a pale blue late 50s Chevy pickup w/ stake bed...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 2

On 5/23/2022 at 9:49 AM, Robert Hall said:

Saw a clean silver early Fiero on the road yesterday.

Friday evening on I-77 saw two morons in late model Challengers racing each other on the freeway, darting in and out of traffic...one was really loud and in a camo paint scheme.  The were driving side-by-side for a few miles, going maybe 10 over the flow of traffic, revving at each other.  At one point, in the 3rd lane a dark blue current style Shelby GT500 rolls up beside them, then takes off like a blur.... the Challengers don't give chase, but continue to change lanes and goof around...until they come upon a silver OHP Charger in the median---which pulls out and lights up behind both of them, pulls over both of them... 

Cool about the Fiero.  "Iron Duke" action!

I see this sort of racing about once a month.  Except that I don't see a highway patrol car around when one needs to be on hand.  I don't find this stuff fun(ny) at all.  They dart in between cars with very little distance to spare and it could all end so tragically, especially for the people who drive in a law abiding manner.

Texas has its own culture.  Here are a few sightings from a few weeks ago:

KIMG0747.thumb.JPG.b44e177d2aad84e9df37482c39bf7169.JPG

I can't imagine too many V6 Chargers in Texas!  And this was no V6.

KIMG1046.thumb.JPG.06dc54716a00ebd5f98d020d296283c1.JPG

I always get a chuckle out of the Texas edition of the Silverado.  It's a both self regarding and a self fulfilling prophecy.

- - - - -

Speaking of freeway racing, I saw a bit of it in and around Houston in just a matter of days.  And I didn't see anyone getting pulled over.  

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

This afternoon on Mud Farm Life.  One of these is not like the others..

C786E00C-8C82-4F03-B66D-0A11549BD2FF.jpeg

Let's see:  "four of these are of the Found On Road yada yada variety while the other vehicle is not?"

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Speaking of freeway racing, I saw a bit of it in and around Houston in just a matter of days.  And I didn't see anyone getting pulled over.  

I've never been to Houston, but my sister has worked on a couple of projects there, said it had some of the worst drivers that she had seen and saw people racing near the airport..had a road rager following her once coming out of the airport, evaded them in a rental Charger.. she's worked and driven in Boston, Chicago, LA, SF Bay Area, Seattle/Redmond, Dallas, and many smaller places, found Houston to be the worst.

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

Let's see:  "four of these are of the Found On Road yada yada variety while the other vehicle is not?"

And the Fords are rusty, broken and filthy inside and out.  One does run (the '09 Ranger on the far right). 

• Thanks 1

Today's photos from #MudFarmLife.   My Mom's '68 Cougar should clean up nicely, along w/ my brother's '69 Fairlane.  The '82 Mustang GT has no brakes.   The red and white '68 Cougar XR-7 needs a thorough cleaning.  Going to get my '87 Mustang GT out next week.   My brother's ;'89 Bronco II was a pain to get out of the barn, they didn't want to pull it from the rear as the rear frame was quite rusty and the gas tank was falling off.  And last, my Dad's breen (firethorn bronze, though it was originally Lime Frost green) '67 Cougar will take a lot of work to get out of the barn...been off the road since 1985. 

That's it for this week, taking next week off from work and will be down there back at it again..still a lot of work w/ the house and buildings.   The mechanics will be working on getting the cars running that can be fixed.. 

IMG-7216.jpg

IMG-7217.jpg

IMG-7210.jpg

IMG-7209.jpg

IMG-7220.jpg

IMG-7240.jpg

IMG-7235.jpg

IMG-7242.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I've never been to Houston, but my sister has worked on a couple of projects there, said it had some of the worst drivers that she had seen and saw people racing near the airport..had a road rager following her once coming out of the airport, evaded them in a rental Charger.. she's worked and driven in Boston, Chicago, LA, SF Bay Area, Seattle/Redmond, Dallas, and many smaller places, found Houston to be the worst.

It's an interesting place, in it's own way.  Mostly, I like that one can put in some jaunts to Galveston, which seems to be coming along and, sadly, getting more gentrified and expensive.

I can see that about driving there.  And would probably agree with that, of the cities listed.

This might weave in some politics, but I was miffed watching this.  I was in H-town in Feb. of 2020 and it was evening rush hour time, so it was backed up on one of the feeder roads to I-45 south of the city.

There was this dark haired bearded guy his 30s in a big white newer raised Ram truck stuck in this traffic.  In front of him was this middle aged brunette lady in a VW Jetta.  She was going the speed limit and then stopping as the traffic crawled, but he was riding her tail and getting aggressive toward her.  There were no political stickers on her car, nor on his truck.  I glanced over and he seemed really angry.  I'm almost sure that it was because, the month before, the election didn't turn out the way he wanted and he had to channel that anger.  Having just been down there again, it's amazing, and stereotypical, what I see on cars, trucks, and properties in white suburbia that's both not very klassy (yes, with a k) and seems to have good disposable income ... probably from working in the trades, working in energy, or working in a higher paying govt. job.

29 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

IMG-7216.jpg

I like this one.  In fact, I've always liked these more than their stablemate, the Mustang, of those same years.

IMG-7217.jpg

Looks like something one of the moms that carpooled us kids to parochial school would have driven.

Spotted this past weekend in the same parking lot.

KIMG1526.thumb.JPG.a69a68cce585e2253e5e71c3fcd68751.JPG

The owner of this immaculate old Mopar convertible was friendly enough.   Those wheels look similar to the long-lived Buick alloys.  I forgot which model this was since they made some nameplates that didn't stick around long, even when Mopar was chugging along smoothly.  (Remember the short-lived Mirada?)

KIMG1518.thumb.JPG.d1286ce91d8265ad6fe8932e33872214.JPG

KIMG1521.thumb.JPG.31d4185ede75d2ecc2389f4128fc5136.JPG

KIMG1522.thumb.JPG.09e495ecd99130263806f548b8d1eae2.JPG

Now, the owner of this vehicle was a different story.   He got sort of miffed with me that I thought it was a kit car.  He said it's an original 1965.  BFD.  I wouldn't own one.  It was just unusual, so I took some photos.

• Agree 1

On today’s installment of #MudFarmLife, I came down and put a new battery in my Mustang, aired up the tires, it fired right up.  Drove it out of the barn.  Needs a new exhaust.  Going to get it hauled to my mechanic and gone over.  Hasn’t been on the road in maybe 7-8 years.  I last drove it in 2013.  64k miles.  I want to be able to drive it again and feel like it’s 1987….:)

2352B581-AF4D-4514-ADA0-F4438587A5E7.jpeg

4B51B9B6-8E82-4832-957B-5E855D645E31.jpeg

4862316C-56EB-490E-BD03-4A1C1F942B53.jpeg

054F37EC-95E4-48B8-BDEA-B997416580D8.jpeg

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

On today’s installment of #MudFarmLife, I came down and put a new battery in my Mustang, aired up the tires, it fired right up.  Drove it out of the barn.  Needs a new exhaust.  Going to get it hauled to my mechanic and gone over.  Hasn’t been on the road in maybe 7-8 years.  I last drove it in 2013.  64k miles.  I want to be able to drive it again and feel like it’s 1987….:)

NICE! That's so awesome! 

56 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

NICE! That's so awesome! 

Yeah, a lot of good memories with my 5.0.  Been all over the country with it, had in Colorado for 7 years, road trips to Florida and Boston/Cape Cod, trips to Az, NM and Wyoming.  It was the last fun car my Dad bought, and my first fun car.  I want to save it and restore it along with my Dad’s ‘69 Mustang that he brought new.  Got it out last week. 

172623AF-F582-4A36-A1B4-910045499E51.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Very cool, a quality detail inside and out, new tires and a tune up and that baby will be ready to Rock! :metal:

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, a lot of good memories with my 5.0.  Been all over the country with it, had in Colorado for 7 years, road trips to Florida and Boston/Cape Cod, trips to Az, NM and Wyoming.  It was the last fun car my Dad bought, and my first fun car.  I want to save it and restore it along with my Dad’s ‘69 Mustang that he brought new.  Got it out last week. 

172623AF-F582-4A36-A1B4-910045499E51.jpeg

Sweet Ride, fully worth restoring and driving again.

Time for a new house with a 4 car garage it sounds like Robert.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, David said:

Very cool, a quality detail inside and out, new tires and a tune up and that baby will be ready to Rock! :metal:

Sweet Ride, fully worth restoring and driving again.

Time for a new house with a 4 car garage it sounds like Robert.

Yes.  I think I need a 6 car garage. (Garage + barn).   

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Im so happy for you for your Mustang!!!   When I read this post this morning, I was all smiles!!!

Im so glad that the Mustang fired right up and was ready to be driven again...as you said...like it was 1987!!!

Perfect Mustang songs, from the year 1987 

and of course something from Hysteria

maybe a love song a pop song and a classic '80s synth 

• Agree 1

I think those tracks would all be on my 1987 playlist... as would many songs from 1994 through 2002, those were the years I drove the car the most...all over Michigan, Ohio and then in 1997 to Colorado... I haven't tried the CD player yet (I put a Sony single disc player in it in 1997 after the tape deck died). 

I have to get a new 'Michigan Engineering' decal for the rear window (had that there from grad school) and a Colorado logo plate for the front, since Ohio is now a 1 plate state... but first things first..need to get it checked out mechanically, get new tires, etc.  I did find receipts and a window sticker for an oil change in 2018. 

• Agree 2