Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Crushing rice in Toronto

Goodbye riced out Civics! ^_^

The federal government tabled a bill Thursday to make street racing a crime and impose stiffer sentences for those convicted.

If passed by Parliament, the proposed legislation would make street-racing a separate offence under the Criminal Code -- raising maximum sentences in some cases and imposing mandatory driving prohibitions for all convicted.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...60615/20060615/

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_1221.aspx

It's never a good thing to give cops MORE power to f%ck up

your life at their discretion. Here in Mass "drag racing" on a

public street means all kinds of trouble for the offender...

way more than just a fine. Impound, criminal applications &

jail time under the cop's discretion.

There's been a few times that I got pulled over where I was

threatened wiht this offense but the cop never decided to

charge me with it. Then again I do not do it around

neighborhoods with kids or dangerous curves but more on

the highway and empty back road straightaways late at

night. Still I think giving the kids a LEGAL outlet for their

speed is a more logical and realistic solution.

Living in Vancouver B.C., it seems like every second night you hear about some idiot who gets injured or killed when street racing. Hell, The street I live next to always attracts racers at 1 in the morning.

I doubt this will stop the ricing fad, but it may hopefully prevent guys my age from illegally racing. With mandatory jail sentences and such, not to mention the fact that departments may soon crush your car, I think it'll deter some people.

Just recently in Toronto, the Manchesters, a married couple who were celebrating their anniversary were making a left turn onto a suburban street when they got hit by two Honda's which were at speeds of about 150km. Both Honda drivers survived and got carted to the hospital. The Manchesters died instantly and their bodies were mingled in the wreckage. As emergency crews tried to recover the bodies, they found themselves taunted and harassed by the friends of the racers. They were also snapping photos of the wreckage with their cell phone cameras...

A New York Police Sergeant said that this sort of callousness is typical. Many street racers will often remark "I don' care officer, it's what I do, I'll take my chances in court."

In my country, they often do, with a grin on their faces (I've been to one of the trials), and they often find themselves getting a tap on the wrist.

So I hope this bill can deter more idiots from hitting the streets and hitting innocent lives.

Just recently in Toronto, the Manchesters, a married couple who were celebrating their anniversary were making a left turn onto a suburban street when they got hit by two Honda's which were at speeds of about 150km.

I recall that incident on the news. If it was the same incident (though sad that there are so many it's difficult to keep track) the one causing the accident was heard repeating over and over, "I'm so sorry."

Save it, buddy. Your stupidity for a pointless thirll meant their daughter (or two kids, I can't remember) is now without parents.

These accidents don't happen all the time, but it's not right that they should happen at all. In Canada, it really is a problem due to the lighter-side of the legal measures against the street racers. More often than not, it's high-performance cars driven by spoiled-wealthy young men that pose the greatest risk. When you're rich enough, fines and seizure of cars is considered getting off easy.

Thankfully none of my street racing incidents reported in someone getting killed. Those days are over for me. Now my brother on the other hand.....complete idiot who still after 2 years of driving can't park in a paralell spot, thinks pushing his 2002 Cavi past 100 is fun. Besides my aunts and my mom, hes one of the worst drivers i've been with. Hell even Nycole is better and she a 19yo female who only drives in the city when she comes to see me.