Can an American buy a new car in Canada?

I've been to Canada more times than I can count, especially when I used to live in Seattle. About 6 years ago, the exchange rate was REALLY favorable for us. I often wondered if I ever found a new car in Vancouver I liked whether I could buy it and bring it back down over the border.

Is that doable? Why or why not?

:canada:

Even if you do buy it, you'd still have to pay state taxes. Also.. what happens when you need to bring it into the dealership. I'm sure there are some issues with that. I would advise against it. Besides, the difference between the US and Canadian dollars isn't that big anymore.

It depends on what car. I know you can do it vice versa. If it is new and you can find it in the US, buy it there. The Toronto Star wrote an article on how Canadian cars are more overpriced than they should be. Unless it is a used car or a Canada-only vehicle you want badly, I would advise you not to buy here. Here is the article: Canada overpriced vehicles

Can an American buy a new car in Canada?

You tell me...

Canadians are technically Americans too.

What a smart ass. I think they know what I meant and that is how they refer to us, BTW.

The only reason I ever thought of it is that the Allure CXL is cloth equipped whereas our LaCrosse CXL is leather equipped...which I do not like. Even if I drove a $ 50,000 car, I'd still want cloth. (That's from jumping into a hot car if ever wearing shorts).

Your point is well taken, Cadillacfan, and I know that the gap is shrinking...I tend to go to Quebec about every other year. We are now at a point where, when you add GST, it's 1:1. Too bad for us and goody for them.

Edited by trinacriabob

What a smart ass.  I think they know what I meant and that is how they refer to us, BTW.

I learned how to constantly correct and nitpick by watching you.

I have some family members that live just across the border and we were up there for some holiday. This was about 4 years ago when exchange rate was about 1.60can to 1.00. My dad happened to be looking for a new work truck for the farm and the dealer was advertising that they would give you 1.70can to 1.00. We found out that sales like this were common up there because American business is a big deal in those small towns just across the border. We ended up buying a used 1995 silverado 2500 diesel. We just had them change out the gauges after we bought it. If I remember right, the way it worked with the taxes is that we got out of paying the Canadian taxes because the dealer delivered the vehicle to the border, but we still had to pay the state taxes when we registered it. Something like that.

Edited by scharmer05

I want a Pontiac Firefly 3-door, 3-cylinder. :D

I want a Pontiac Firefly 3-door, 3-cylinder. :D

Pantho, Pontiac FIREFLY !!! Isn't that the craziest thing you've seen. The first time I was in Montreal, I saw one of those...a rebadged Chevette, I guess. I about bust a gut.