Watch and Timepiece Appreciation Thread

ccap41

• 2 weeks later...

@David

If you have any predispositions about women, that would be on you.

Bulgari has sold the snake jewelery motif for 50,60, 70 years now.   That first lovely lady in the black and white picture is Liz Taylor.   She was THE actress  back in the day before you and I were born and a sex symbol for the ages.   She wore a snake watch.  Its in the picture and Bulgari wanted to point that out with pride. 

I had known about the Bulgari Serpenti line and I realized that all the watches that were posted in this thread were all male oriented.  So I decided to be inclusive and post something a lady would appreciate. 

And those of us who are of the male species could surely do the same and adore the beauty and elegance of these time pieces and the diamonds, emeralds, stones and gems.   

Who wouldnt want their better half to be adorned with such elegance and luxury to compliment their beauty?   

Over at the beautiful car thread, I continued to be inspired by this and I wanted to post watches, music, and cars with a theme of a femme fatale.  Then I toned it down with the femme fatale thing and I just wanted to do expensive but elegant trinkets and cars with the assumption that a woman might enjoy those things that I posted.   MY idea of what an elegant lovely lady would want to wear and drive.  

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

On 8/24/2023 at 2:24 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

I don't have much knowledge of watches and don't really care about pedigree.  I'll never buy a watch just because of the name brand.  I tend to like them in two styles.  I like either a classic, minimalist, Deco style, or as a skeleton style.  I always prefer an automatic and don't really shop outside of that category ever. One thing I've never liked is metal watch bands. I find they snag on my arm hair or just about anything else that's around.

I'm with you on this.  I don't care much about watches except that they be classic and appealing enough, reliable, and a good value.  If money were no object, I might pay more attention.  Just like I keep cars for as long as I can, I do the same with watches.  I've had my current Timex Expedition where the dial goes blue if it's dusk and you push in where you wind it/set it since 2011.  Mine has a leather band and I keep replacing it.  A person doesn't even need much arm hair for it to pinch.  It goes looking for it.  I have more of an issue keeping travel money in my pocket, but am always looking for a deal there, too.

On 8/30/2023 at 8:29 PM, Robert Hall said:

I like this new Timex Pam Am tribute...love the classic Pan Am logo and the plane motif... 

images-3.jpeg

Timex-x-Pan-Am-1-2.jpg

I think I'm dreaming!

On 9/8/2023 at 10:20 AM, ccap41 said:

It's not pretty but I can appreciate an analog clock in a vehicle. 

That Bulgari is not that appealing, as you say.  I do like analog clocks in vehicles.  I really liked the one set toward the right edge of the instrument panel in the last Buick Envision, and even the way it was incorporated into the dash.  With the new IP in the more recent Envision, that cool analog clock went away.

On 9/20/2023 at 1:49 AM, oldshurst442 said:

Peace Tower: History and design - Canada.ca

I never noticed the gargoyles in the tower on the Parliament House in Ottawa ... until now.

On 9/20/2023 at 2:31 AM, oldshurst442 said:

Old Port Clock Tower, Montreal

The Clock Tower turns 100 | Tourisme Montréal

Small, but yet an icon for the city and the port that not everyone knows about.  The Plage de l'Horologe with the blue umbrellas is "fairly" recent and shows the more unbridled sense of humor and irony that is more Gallic than Anglo.  Bravo, Montreal.

On 10/15/2023 at 11:10 AM, oldshurst442 said:

Elizabeth Taylor - Bulgari Serpenti watch

If someone were to look up "high maintenance" in the dictionary, Elizabeth Taylor's name should be next to it.  It seemed like she needed a lot of props for her self-esteem.  She had at least 7 or 8 husbands and that didn't seem to keep her happy, either.  She started out as a peaches and cream "English rose" and, evidently, L.A. and "the industry" took that away from her.  

• Haha 1

What I was really going to post 

- - - - -

timex-expedition-metal-field-black-dial-

current watch:

Timex Expedition - black face, blue illumination capability, leather watchband - bought in 2011 for about $40 - Timex:  "takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' "

9eb80704f2c96256e2f58eed68ebd39b.jpg

past tense watch:

Seiko I used to have - (similar, but not "Presage" and regular gold ... not rose gold) left on a hotel nightstand while hastily packing for an early morning flight from Italy back to the U.S. - the hotel wasn't of the genre that would admit to finding it and send it back to you - consider what happened to Gandolfini's (RIP) Rolex when he was in the hospital ... I do plan to get another similar Seiko sooner than later. 

I still look at my wrist for the time more so than at my phone.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2023 at 7:12 PM, trinacriabob said:

I'm with you on this.  I don't care much about watches except that they be classic and appealing enough, reliable, and a good value.  If money were no object, I might pay more attention.  Just like I keep cars for as long as I can, I do the same with watches.  I've had my current Timex Expedition where the dial goes blue if it's dusk and you push in where you wind it/set it since 2011.  Mine has a leather band and I keep replacing it.  A person doesn't even need much arm hair for it to pinch.  It goes looking for it.  I have more of an issue keeping travel money in my pocket, but am always looking for a deal there, too.

I think I'm dreaming!

That Bulgari is not that appealing, as you say.  I do like analog clocks in vehicles.  I really liked the one set toward the right edge of the instrument panel in the last Buick Envision, and even the way it was incorporated into the dash.  With the new IP in the more recent Envision, that cool analog clock went away.

I never noticed the gargoyles in the tower on the Parliament House in Ottawa ... until now.

Small, but yet an icon for the city and the port that not everyone knows about.  The Plage de l'Horologe with the blue umbrellas is "fairly" recent and shows the more unbridled sense of humor and irony that is more Gallic than Anglo.  Bravo, Montreal.

If someone were to look up "high maintenance" in the dictionary, Elizabeth Taylor's name should be next to it.  It seemed like she needed a lot of props for her self-esteem.  She had at least 7 or 8 husbands and that didn't seem to keep her happy, either.  She started out as a peaches and cream "English rose" and, evidently, L.A. and "the industry" took that away from her.  

Do not forget that she was close friends with the late Micheal Jackson.

Elizabeth Taylor was to me far more lovely than Marlyn Manroe, but again that is person preference for brunettes over blondes, I guess.

Course @oldshurst442 knows what I was really meaning by my comment. :P 

I find her very lovely and a nice watch to boot! :D 

Bvlgari Serpenti - Biểu Tượng Tái Sinh Vĩnh Cửu

• Agree 1