Watch and Timepiece Appreciation Thread

ccap41

16 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Always liked Tag Heuers, back when I wore watches looked at them closely...the problem with many higher end watches is tend to be large and not look good on my skinny wrists... (I've been told I have a Mr Potato Head physique..).  

I believe that's more of a Tag issue, not a luxury watch issue. Tags do tend to be larger and bulkier. That is not a luxury watch thing, that's a Tag thing. There are PLENTY of 36-40mm watches out there from "luxury" brands that aren't chunky or bulky. 

I, too, am a HUGE fan of stainless with blue dials! That tends to be my go-to every time I look at watches. I also tend to wear a lot of blue that that combination would go well with. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Those are cool themed watches for sure!!!   And while Tag's hue of blue for the Formula One is a classy choice lending itself in being a very nice watch, this is where my philosophy of staying classy goes haywire. 

(Not too take anything away from your watch choice @Robert Hall, but showing you guys how my twisted mind works sometimes)

Ive mentioned several times that I dont like gaudy watches or saying things like a gentleman stays humble and doesnt reveal his watch etc...

But like my colour choices in muscle cars and exotics and  actually,exotic hyper cars not being my thing...

We're all weird with certain things. I'm no different. While I love a diver-style watch but I think a stainless care with a stainless bezel looks cheap and crappy to me, regardless of how nice and/or expensive the watch is. 

While i love this Tudor Black Bay, I think it looks horrible with the stainless bezel while looking near perfect with the blue bezel.BlackBayStainless.thumb.jpg.f61e566683e4477dc6cbf759f1f66848.jpgBlackBayBlue.thumb.jpg.280a7d7aadb19d57abec0dbd6a1ce992.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I like that Gulf Livery watch...a very LeMans endurance racing theme instead of F1..

As a fellow F1 fan, Red Bull is sponsored by Tag and therefore you'll see Max throwing on a Monaco after every race. There's also a Gulf livery Monaco. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the square case/dial but it is pretty iconic. 

USP0-TH_Gulf_.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

We're all weird with certain things. I'm no different. While I love a diver-style watch but I think a stainless care with a stainless bezel looks cheap and crappy to me, regardless of how nice and/or expensive the watch is. 

While i love this Tudor Black Bay, I think it looks horrible with the stainless bezel while looking near perfect with the blue bezel.BlackBayStainless.thumb.jpg.f61e566683e4477dc6cbf759f1f66848.jpgBlackBayBlue.thumb.jpg.280a7d7aadb19d57abec0dbd6a1ce992.jpg

Yeah...sometimes its the little details, an accent here and there,  a colour combo, a detail that jumps right at you, that makes a huuuuuuge difference in the look and feel to a watch that draws us to it.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/carlos-sainz-chases-down-thieves-083403469.html

Carlos Sainz chased down thieves and retrieved his watch worth £500,000 in a scary robbery incident in Milan just hours after Sunday’s Italian Grand Prix.

Ferrari star Sainz, still in his team kit, was targeted near the Armani hotel in central Milan at around 8:30pm on Sunday evening, reports in Italy detail.

Sainz, alongside members of his entourage and the public, then chased the thieves and successfully recovered his Richard Mille watch worth in the region of £500,000.

F1 driver Carlos Sainz chases thieves who robbed his watch

Carlos Sainz Jr. - Richard Mille RM11-01 Flyback - Superwatchman.

Carlos Sainz Jr. sorprende a todos con un increíble y costoso reloj |  Minuto En Canchaopruiming > richard mille carlos sainz -

Edited by oldshurst442

19 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Carlos Sainz chased down thieves and retrieved his watch worth £500,000 in a scary robbery incident in Milan just hours after Sunday’s Italian Grand Prix.

Ferrari star Sainz, still in his team kit, was targeted near the Armani hotel in central Milan at around 8:30pm on Sunday evening, reports in Italy detail.

Sainz, alongside members of his entourage and the public, then chased the thieves and successfully recovered his Richard Mille watch worth in the region of £500,000.

Carlos Sainz Jr. sorprende a todos con un increíble y costoso reloj |  Minuto En Canchaopruiming > richard mille carlos sainz -

It was definitely more of a principal thing than a "I lost my 500k watch". Richard Mille is a Ferrari Sponsor so I can almost guarantee that was free to him and a replacement also would be free. That's still awesome they chased the thieves down and retrieved his watch. 

As for Richard Mille watches, they're almost all hideous to me but just knowing WHAT they are, makes them extremely desirable still. I would absolutely wear one, considering I could pretty much custom design the colors and whatnot. 

On 9/1/2023 at 10:34 PM, David said:

Seems there is a limited edition Cadillac V watches. Pretty sweet looking.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2023/08/check-out-the-limited-edition-cadillac-v-series-classic-chrono-watch/

That's honestly a pretty good looking watch. I just don't want some car branding on my watches so that "V" logo ruins an otherwise good looking watch. 

On 8/30/2023 at 8:29 PM, Robert Hall said:

Always liked Tag Heuers, back when I wore watches looked at them closely...the problem with many higher end watches is tend to be large and not look good on my skinny wrists... (I've been told I have a Mr Potato Head physique..).    Back in the 00s had a coworker who I think had a watch addiction..he was buying new watches constantly, from a variety of brands..I think he had about 200 watches in 2005..  

I've always liked silver watches with blue backgrounds, like this Tag Formula 1 (plus being an F1 fan makes this appealing).   I have a Skagen that is nice and thin and the same color scheme. 

shopping-2.jpeg

I like this new Timex Pam Am tribute...love the classic Pan Am logo and the plane motif... 

images-3.jpeg

Timex-x-Pan-Am-1-2.jpg

I saw these new Pan Ams in an ad the other day and it made me curious. They claim to be Pan American Worldwide Airways, but that company went defunct and the name Pan Am was bought by a railroad in New England.... so I'm not sure who the company is that is making these.

22 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I've got very good eyes, but if I can't make out the time quickly because there isn't enough contrast or the face is too busy, it's failed me as a time piece.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

That's honestly a pretty good looking watch. I just don't want some car branding on my watches so that "V" logo ruins an otherwise good looking watch. 

That's pretty subtle compared to the Bugatti watches in the other thread.  I normally don't do branded stuff if the logo was huge, but I wouldn't mind this.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, ccap41 said:

It was definitely more of a principal thing than a "I lost my 500k watch". Richard Mille is a Ferrari Sponsor so I can almost guarantee that was free to him and a replacement also would be free. That's still awesome they chased the thieves down and retrieved his watch. 

As for Richard Mille watches, they're almost all hideous to me but just knowing WHAT they are, makes them extremely desirable still. I would absolutely wear one, considering I could pretty much custom design the colors and whatnot. 

I  also think he was more pissed at the fact that his privacy was violated and got robbed more than anything else.  Aint he a driver for Ferrari?  Yeah...those are the little gifts Ferrari showers him with.   

I also find them meh.  Im sure the mechanicals on thse are just as exotic as any other high end watch.  I wouldnt wear one UNLESS Ferrari courted me as a driver for them and that is how they showed their appreciation towards me.  With  huge paychech as well of course. 

8 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I've got very good eyes, but if I can't make out the time quickly because there isn't enough contrast or the face is too busy, it's failed me as a time piece.

Yeah...too busy Id agree!   The ONLY thing I like about them is that the mechanicals are shown.  I sometimes like watches like that.  

10 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I dont mind the branding.  The watch itsef is from the Detroit Watch Company.  Shinolla.   it is a Detroit company so it makes sense.   

Id rather Cadillac be associated with Bulova.  But Bulova is from NYC. Aaaaand...Citizen group bought Bulova sometime in the 2000s.  Citizen is Japanese....

Cadillac on a Bulova Precisionist mouvent.  Yeah...that be awesome!!!    

My only gripe is that Cadillac is not associted with Bulova.   

8 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That's pretty subtle compared to the Bugatti watches in the other thread.  I normally don't do branded stuff if the logo was huge, but I wouldn't mind this.

Those Bugatti watches are too much in EVERY sense of the phrase too much.    The price tags of those watches are astronomical.   Like the Ferrari watches I posted.     Money for nothing.  But they are nice to look at.  

10 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:
19 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Yeah...too busy Id agree!   The ONLY thing I like about them is that the mechanicals are shown.  I sometimes like watches like that. 

While I agree it isn't all that useful as an actual watch, watches of this caliber are just a form of jewelry. It's no different than wearing a ring, necklace, earrings, etc. It's just jewelry. It's real purpose if for looks and/or "status". If one is wearing a Richard Mile, they are successful. Whether it's an employer gift or you can afford one yourself it's a sign of success, just like a 5ct diamond ring. 

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

While I agree it isn't all that useful as an actual watch, watches of this caliber are just a form of jewelry. It's no different than wearing a ring, necklace, earrings, etc. It's just jewelry. It's real purpose if for looks and/or "status". If one is wearing a Richard Mile, they are successful. Whether it's an employer gift or you can afford one yourself it's a sign of success, just like a 5ct diamond ring. 

Eh, I prefer function before form. Both are important, but without the function, it's just flash which doesn't impress me. Same reason I won't wear clothing with giant brands on it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I dont mind the branding.  The watch itsef is from the Detroit Watch Company.  Shinolla.   it is a Detroit company so it makes sense.   

Id rather Cadillac be associated with Bulova.  But Bulova is from NYC. Aaaaand...Citizen group bought Bulova sometime in the 2000s.  Citizen is Japanese....

Cadillac on a Bulova Precisionist mouvent.  Yeah...that be awesome!!!    

My only gripe is that Cadillac is not associted with Bulova. 

I actually really like that it's built by Shinola. I don't own any Shinolas but I would because it is a US brand, and I think that's cool as hell. Most of their stuff is too large for me though. 

Most Bulova watches don't do anything for me so while they're a more well-known name, I just don't care much for Bulova watches. I would, however, own a Bulova clock. 

10 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Eh, I prefer function before form. Both are important, but without the function, it's just flash which doesn't impress me. Same reason I won't wear clothing with giant brands on it.

I agree. There's no argument from me there but I could see if I was in the financial status of being able to own something like this, I'd also have PLENTY of functional watches so this would just be something to not use as a real watch. Hell, If I had a Richard Mille, I'd probably never even set the time because it'd be useless hahaha. 

They're weird because they are such a status symbol and I'm sure they're FANTASTICLY built watches, they're just useless at their one designed job, telling time. Such irony. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Definetly its just eye candy and status (with the high price) of these kinds of watches.  High end watches in history were always jewlery.  Functioning jewelery like @Drew Dowdell said and prefers his watches.  

I must admit, I prefer my watches as functioning pieces as well.   

I am not a 1%er.  Duh...

Cars like a Cadillac NEVER fit my personality.  Forget about Rolls Royce as that is old money and my family history is as poor as one gets.  So extremely high end watches never fit my personality either.  HOWEVER, sometimes I like obnoxiuos things to flash around.  Exotic cars were really not my thing either. 

Muscle cars? Yes!!!   Blue collar speed and performance. 

And this is where watches intersects with the automobile passions that I have.  I like crazy styled Lamborghinis as much as I like the really high end crazy stuff like a Bugatti Parmesiani Fleurier or a Richard Mille.  But it aint my personality.  I oike looking at them behind a glass or on another man's RICH as phoque wrist.   No jealousy.  But admiration. 

And then there is the normally styled or slightly differently styled extremely expensive watches

Finally In India—Parmigiani, An Ethos-Exclusive In Haute Horlogerie

And those would look GREAT on my wrist.   But that kind of thing goes against my life principles as well.   I am not a commie, but I do NOT feel comfy in my skin knowing that we have such a huuuuge divide between the haves and have nots in the world.  And if I was that filthy rich to be able to afford several things of that nature, maybe I wouldnt give a phoque, but as I am now.  Yeah... Not my style.

All to say, that Im willing to pass on function since time is kept and viewed anywhere and everywhere today, I still prefer a watch to perform its MAIN duty, and that is to tell time, but it does have to look good doing it, but not crazy priced either as a Casio or Timex do it perfectly and for peanuts.  

13 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I actually really like that it's built by Shinola. I don't own any Shinolas but I would because it is a US brand, and I think that's cool as hell. Most of their stuff is too large for me though. 

Most Bulova watches don't do anything for me so while they're a more well-known name, I just don't care much for Bulova watches. I would, however, own a Bulova clock. 

I like the history of Bulova. 

They have made, as an AMERICAN watch as well, they have made SEVERAL important horological breakthroughs in time keeping.   And I like keeping that information close to my heart as many people do not realize how Bulova shaped the watch industy in the 1950s and 1960s.  I respect them for that.   And the fact that those breakthroughs do not break the bank.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I agree. There's no argument from me there but I could see if I was in the financial status of being able to own something like this, I'd also have PLENTY of functional watches so this would just be something to not use as a real watch. Hell, If I had a Richard Mille, I'd probably never even set the time because it'd be useless hahaha. 

They're weird because they are such a status symbol and I'm sure they're FANTASTICLY built watches, they're just useless at their one designed job, telling time. Such irony. 

I'm one of those people that certain things wouldn't change that you'd expect to change if I won the $1b Powerball.  Flare is not something I'd ever chase regardless of the size of my bank account.  Yes, I'd buy a bunch of cars, but for every one Lucid Air Sapphire I owned, there'd be 3 old carbed land yachts from the 60s, 70s, and 80s, in the garage. Yes, I'd get a bigger house, but not some absurd "Cribs" sprawling mansion, I'd aim for an 80+ year older "estate" on some land with a warehouse of cars nearby, probably in New England. My daily would probably be a black CT6 platinum.

Quiet Luxury.

• Like 3

I for one am not a 1% and do not like the attention it draws so function over flare all the time. Course for me being a big man, comfort is a requirement and so the Escalade does it more so than the Yukon or Suburban. It is interesting to know that in 2006 when I bought my Escalade, it was far more comfortable than the other two GM brands and leaps ahead of what Ford offered in their brands, any European or Asian auto at the time. 

Now with GM having gone to a standard seat for all models, the Escalade of today is just not very comfy for road trips. 

Like Drew said, a CT6 Platinum for Quiet Luxury but in an SUV size for me is what I want. Just do not know what that is today.

26 minutes ago, David said:

I for one am not a 1% and do not like the attention it draws so function over flare all the time. Course for me being a big man, comfort is a requirement and so the Escalade does it more so than the Yukon or Suburban.

That's quite the ironic statement right there. You prefer function over flare yet chose an Escalade, which is waaaay flashier and nearly the exact same vehicle as the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukons, with bling. 

31 minutes ago, David said:

it was far more comfortable than the other two GM brands and leaps ahead of what Ford offered in their brands, any European or Asian auto at the time. 

I have a very hard time believing a solid rear axel was a more comfortable vehicle than one with an independent rear suspension. The Navigator was far from a good overall package but to say the comfort was worse, seems a little...wrong... 

"The interior feels cramped. The second-row captain's chairs are bolted in place, no sliding tracks, so there's no relief for the legroom shortage. The doors are narrow, making it hard to steer your Reeboks past the jamb for an exit. The seats, both front and second rows, are narrow, and the flaccid cushions lack the stuffing to hold you upright in even mild corners. Passenger comfort in the second and third rows earned the lowest marks.

Despite its flash, the Escalade doesn't stray far from its trucky ancestors. Interior space, and the usefulness of that space, is disappointing."

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a15388387/2007-audi-q7-vs-2007-cadillac-escalade-2006-infiniti-qx56-2007-lincoln-navigator-2007-m-b-gl450-comparison-tests/

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

That's quite the ironic statement right there. You prefer function over flare yet chose an Escalade, which is waaaay flashier and nearly the exact same vehicle as the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukons, with bling.

Escalade is "louder" than a Yukon, for sure, but I'd still put it at the quiet end of luxury unless it's the V.  That said, so are the GLS and Q7. Nothing says "I'm a multi-millionaire but my wealth is tied up in assets I can't sell" like a beige GLS.

Loud luxury I'd consider things like the Levante, Urus, Maybach GLS.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I have a very hard time believing a solid rear axel was a more comfortable vehicle than one with an independent rear suspension. The Navigator was far from a good overall package but to say the comfort was worse, seems a little...wrong... 

"The interior feels cramped. The second-row captain's chairs are bolted in place, no sliding tracks, so there's no relief for the legroom shortage. The doors are narrow, making it hard to steer your Reeboks past the jamb for an exit. The seats, both front and second rows, are narrow, and the flaccid cushions lack the stuffing to hold you upright in even mild corners. Passenger comfort in the second and third rows earned the lowest marks.

Despite its flash, the Escalade doesn't stray far from its trucky ancestors. Interior space, and the usefulness of that space, is disappointing."

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a15388387/2007-audi-q7-vs-2007-cadillac-escalade-2006-infiniti-qx56-2007-lincoln-navigator-2007-m-b-gl450-comparison-tests/

In vehicles this size, solid rear axle v. IRS means little in terms of comfort, and few can tune a solid rear axle for comfort better than the domestics.  IRS is mostly about handling while spring rates and shock absorbers determine comfort. I don't know which suspension setup he has, but the air suspension setup in my Avalanche is very comfortable and I have no complaints there.  He might have magnaride, so he would have a shock absorber advantage over me. Get his Escalade or my Avalanche out on the open highway and they will match any non-airmatic Benz on comfort. They'll get beat by the latest Lincolns Navigator and Aviator, but that's only because Lincoln tunes their spring rates to be like driving a pillow.

I doubt he ever rides in the 2nd or 3rd row of his Escalade, so his perspective is only that of the driver.  I don't know if the author Aaron Kiley is suffering from atrophied back muscles or something, but exactly what corners is he throwing these vehicles into to require large and firm side bolstering? Driving in the same seats literally every day, I don't ever experience what he describes. My second row probably gets low marks too, but so do most truck second rows. Doesn't matter to me though, my second row gets folded more than sat in.

TL:DR, the Escalade and Avalanche from this generation are both very comfortable for the drivers.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Escalade is "louder" than a Yukon, for sure, but I'd still put it at the quiet end of luxury unless it's the V.  That said, so are the GLS and Q7. Nothing says "I'm a multi-millionaire but my wealth is tied up in assets I can't sell" like a beige GLS.

Loud luxury I'd consider things like the Levante, Urus, Maybach GLS.

In 2006, there was literally no other vehicle that came from the factory with more bling than an Escalade. 

The Escalade brought forth the "blinging out" of other vehicles. It was THE original "bling" vehicle. If you turned on the TV and came across a flashy chromed out vehicle with big chrome wheels, it was an Escalade 90% of the time. The other 10% was a Hummer, be it a TV show, MTV videos, professional athletes' vehicles, etc.

In fact, this is a huuuuuge reason why the Escalade has been so successful. It got the attention of everyone everywhere. but that's because it was big and flashy. 

The next closest was the Navigator but it just wasn't a great overall vehicle. The Navigator was never cool, like an Escalade. 

20 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I doubt he ever rides in the 2nd or 3rd row of his Escalade, so his perspective is only that of the driver.

He has stated probably 100 times here that he tests the rear to make sure it is equally as comfortable for him. 

22 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

TL:DR, the Escalade and Avalanche from this generation are both very comfortable for the drivers.

Not saying they aren't comfortable but to say they're superior when professionals have said otherwise...is just silly. But David has clearly shown his GM bias so it isn't unexpected. 

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

In 2006, there was literally no other vehicle that came from the factory with more bling than an Escalade. 

The Escalade brought forth the "blinging out" of other vehicles. It was THE original "bling" vehicle. If you turned on the TV and came across a flashy chromed out vehicle with big chrome wheels, it was an Escalade 90% of the time. The other 10% was a Hummer, be it a TV show, MTV videos, professional athletes' vehicles, etc.

In fact, this is a huuuuuge reason why the Escalade has been so successful. It got the attention of everyone everywhere. but that's because it was big and flashy.

Eh, a lot of that was people putting big aftermarket rims and big sound systems and lighting in them after the fact.

Sure, you could option them up with chrome 22s, but this is what most of them looked like from both generations.

2006-Cadillac-Escalade-SUV_Image-05-1024-2586210334.jpg636971844134611414-1977050700.jpg

19s at best, not chrome, basically the same as any Yukon.

11 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The next closest was the Navigator but it just wasn't a great overall vehicle. The Navigator was never cool, like an Escalade. 

Maybe you're too young to remember it, but yeah, the Navigator was huge when it came out. Navigator is what took the luxury car sales crown from Cadillac for Lincoln.  It was a massive hit that Lincoln let flounder. The Navigator came out in 1997 and a "real" Escalade didn't hit the market until 2001.  Then Lincoln dithered and gave the Navigator the mildest of mild facelifts in 2003 before ruining the styling completely in 2007.

15 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Not saying they aren't comfortable but to say they're superior when professionals have said otherwise...is just silly.

I'm not a professional now? :confused0071:

Again, in a handling contest, it's going to go to the Europeans. But on long-distance highway travel, absent some ultra-fancy massaging seat options, comfort for the drivers in this class is pretty much equal amongst this class.

And thinking back a bit more, those early Navigators and ever generation after until the current one rode terribly.  It was like riding in a beefed-up F-150 suspension.  The Infiniti suspension was soft but annoyingly sloppy.  Who wants to drive jello and not be able to maintain the lane center after a bump?

The second-gen Escalade dialed in the comfort a lot (I never drove a first gen).  It was the first of the giant SUVs to have that Cadillac Fleetwood ride.

30 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Eh, a lot of that was people putting big aftermarket rims and big sound systems and lighting in them after the fact.

Sure, you could option them up with chrome 22s, but this is what most of them looked like from both generations.

I mean the one tested in that ling had chrome strips along the door, window, chrome mirrors, chrome "vents" and chrome roof rails. The rest is much more conventional and would be similar to a Yukon. 

32 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Maybe you're too young to remember it, but yeah, the Navigator was huge when it came out. Navigator is what took the luxury car sales crown from Cadillac for Lincoln.  It was a massive hit that Lincoln let flounder. The Navigator came out in 1997 and a "real" Escalade didn't hit the market until 2001.  Then Lincoln dithered and gave the Navigator the mildest of mild facelifts in 2003 before ruining the styling completely in 2007.

I must be too young for that. When I started driving Escalades were brand new and all the rage. 

34 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'm not a professional now? :confused0071:

No, David isn't a professional. You never said the GLS or Audi weren't comfortable. 

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

In vehicles this size, solid rear axle v. IRS means little in terms of comfort, and few can tune a solid rear axle for comfort better than the domestics.  IRS is mostly about handling while spring rates and shock absorbers determine comfort. I don't know which suspension setup he has, but the air suspension setup in my Avalanche is very comfortable and I have no complaints there.  He might have magnaride, so he would have a shock absorber advantage over me. Get his Escalade or my Avalanche out on the open highway and they will match any non-airmatic Benz on comfort. They'll get beat by the latest Lincolns Navigator and Aviator, but that's only because Lincoln tunes their spring rates to be like driving a pillow.

I doubt he ever rides in the 2nd or 3rd row of his Escalade, so his perspective is only that of the driver.  I don't know if the author Aaron Kiley is suffering from atrophied back muscles or something, but exactly what corners is he throwing these vehicles into to require large and firm side bolstering? Driving in the same seats literally every day, I don't ever experience what he describes. My second row probably gets low marks too, but so do most truck second rows. Doesn't matter to me though, my second row gets folded more than sat in.

2006 Platinum Escalade ESV with everything so the Magnaride is amazing and yes, on road trips this is one very comfortable and quiet SUV to cruse down the road.

I honestly have never sat in the 3rd row bench, take it out all the time for various needs, but never sat in it, but my kids have and even spread out across it to sleep and says it is very comfortable for them. They are both 5'8" tall. 

I have sat in the 2nd row captain chair on road trips with another couple and slept very well, comfy.  Course both front and 2nd row have heated and cooled seats making it even more comfortable. Both seats are pretty much identical as far as I can tell so they really are very comfortable.

The comfy seats in this years escalade is very noticeable compared to the Yukon and Suburban and Lincoln Navigators of that time. For being a German heritage man, I am very disappointed in how little space the German brands give in their SUVs. Asian is even worse.

I spent weeks driving all of them considering everything before I spent the money on my 6 figure Escalade. 

I do not spend my money rashly on items, will spend more than others if I feel I am getting the best bang for the buck for long life. Afterall it is 18 years old.

Like your Avalanche, when your driving down the road in a serene cruse, it is very comfy to drive for long distance, hours at a time.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

He has stated probably 100 times here that he tests the rear to make sure it is equally as comfortable for him. 

Not saying they aren't comfortable but to say they're superior when professionals have said otherwise...is just silly. But David has clearly shown his GM bias so it isn't unexpected. 

One you're right the Escalade is Bling and if I could get what I own with no Chrome, I would have. But it comes down to space and comfort and Motor Trend has clearly shown their Bias to attack the U.S. auto companies when they do not spend money advertising in their magazines.

I will always challenge professionals who have shown their Bias to always go with a German or Asian brand and no since I have owned plenty of non-GM autos, I do not think I have as big a bias as the rag magazines compared to my own experience of driving them. I have spent far more time behind the wheel on road trips than those magazine editors/writers who get it for a week.

Spend 10's of thousands of miles on the road and tell me if you can sit in the German CUVs for 5 to 6 hours on such a short wheel base compared to the wheel base of my Escalade ESV.

They can blow all they want that the G-Wagon is superior to the Escalade ESV, but interior space, comfort and time on the road says otherwise.

2006 Cadillac Escalade ESV vs. 2006 Mercedes-Benz G-Class | Cars.com

130 inch wheelbase versus 112 inch wheelbase makes a big difference in comfort of driving down the road and basic laws of engineering cannot change the fact that the Escalade ESV will give a better ride than the G-Wagon.

I will also put up my Magana ride suspension against the G-Wagon for comfort on road trips. I have yet to see any German that has built an auto that can handle long road trips including the very common 6 to 8 hours behind a whee.

But that is my years of experience driving a large SUV on the roads of America over a journalist who drives it for a few days.

You have a right to your opinion on going with the journalist who has driven it for a few days or an owner who has driven it for years in all kinds of weather.

11 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I mean the one tested in that ling had chrome strips along the door, window, chrome mirrors, chrome "vents" and chrome roof rails. The rest is much more conventional and would be similar to a Yukon. 

Aside from the vents (which were all the rage in that timeframe, even Saturn had them) and the roof rails. I have all of that on my truck.... now my truck was the top of the Avalanche line in 2013, but still.

13 minutes ago, David said:

But it comes down to space and comfort and Motor Trend has clearly shown their Bias to attack the U.S. auto companies when they do not spend money advertising in their magazines.

Do you have any proof of this or just your own bias saying your brand should be rated higher? 

11 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Aside from the vents (which were all the rage in that timeframe, even Saturn had them) and the roof rails. I have all of that on my truck.... now my truck was the top of the Avalanche line in 2013, but still.

Yeah in 2013 though because chrome sold so damn well after the Escalade. The 2006 LTZ had chrome but not Escalade levels of chrome. 

19 minutes ago, David said:

Spend 10's of thousands of miles on the road and tell me if you can sit in the German CUVs for 5 to 6 hours on such a short wheel base compared to the wheel base of my Escalade ESV.

I've spent some time in the in-laws '08 GLS and I could easily spend an entire day behind the wheel in that thing. Anything in that class is built for comfort and could put 12 hours a day behind the wheel, if that's what you're doing. None of them are uncomfortable but some are more comfortable than the others. (bolding and underlining that for emphasis)

22 minutes ago, David said:

They can blow all they want that the G-Wagon is superior to the Escalade ESV, but interior space, comfort and time on the road says otherwise.

All depends what you want out of a vehicle but I can say, there's no way a G Wagen is a superior road trip vehicle. I love what it is, but the solid axels in the pre-2019 make it a pretty horrible long distance vehicle. I'm sure the 2019+ are much better but still not truly great for long distances. 

24 minutes ago, David said:

130 inch wheelbase versus 112 inch wheelbase makes a big difference in comfort of driving down the road and basic laws of engineering cannot change the fact that the Escalade ESV will give a better ride than the G-Wagon.

The G Wagen isn't what competes with the Escalade, and you know that. The GLS is their large 3-row SUV. It isn't Escalade large but it's large. 

11 minutes ago, David said:

@ccap41 FYI, this is what the 2006 Escalade ESV Platinum edition looks like and mine is 100% stock.

Snag_22a65319.png

Yes, I know that the original bling machine looks like... 

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

The G Wagen isn't what competes with the Escalade, and you know that. The GLS is their large 3-row SUV. It isn't Escalade large but it's large. 

The ride in the GLS depends on if it has AirMatic or not. With conventional coil springs, it’s just average. With Airmatic it is super cushy, but that’s more without drawbacks. Airmatic fails often and is expensive to replace. Also, back in that timeframe you couldn’t get airmatic + AWD because of the way the suspension was set up. 

But David has magnaride, which is the holy grail of suspensions. Still expensive to replace but very reliable.  I drove a Denali with it a few years ago and it feels like it tiptoes over bumps. It’s a shame GM is slowly phasing it out.

6 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The ride in the GLS depends on if it has AirMatic or not. With conventional coil springs, it’s just average. With Airmatic it is super cushy, but that’s more without drawbacks. Airmatic fails often and is expensive to replace. Also, back in that timeframe you couldn’t get airmatic + AWD because of the way the suspension was set up. 

Is that any different than an Escalade without its fancy suspension?  I can't imagine it rode super awesome without its fancy suspension either. 

8 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I drove a Denali with it a few years ago and it feels like it tiptoes over bumps. It’s a shame GM is slowly phasing it out.

I freakin wish the G Wagen had that. Two stick axels rides like @ss. 

15 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Is that any different than an Escalade without its fancy suspension?  I can't imagine it rode super awesome without its fancy suspension either. 

I freakin wish the G Wagen had that. Two stick axels rides like @ss. 

Escalade minus the fancy suspension = my truck. And yeah, it’s fantastic for long distances. I’ve done 19 hours in it.

Now, handling is ass. I’ve looked into stiffer anti-roll bars. Take it into a corner hard and it leans hard. Magnaride can improve on that but only if GM calibrates it that way. 

But chewing up 19 hours of interstate is what it’s built for and does well. The long wheelbase really helps too.

Tahoes and shorty Escalades aren’t as comfortable long haul for that reason. I have the same WB as the ESV.

• Agree 1

I know this is supposed to be about watches but wanted to close out our ride discussion. 

@Drew Dowdell @ccap41

Magneride was bought from Delphi by BWI group and I have to wonder if this is why GM is moving away from Magneride which is amazing. Once you have it, and then ride in a non-magneride there is a noticeable difference.

MagneRide® Active Suspension System – BWI Group

Back in 2020 GM Authority did a good job on the whole MagneRide or MRC with the comparison of Version 3 to version 4 that I would love to have in my EV Escalade IQ ESV if they build it.

Advantages Of New GM Magnetic Ride Control 4.0 | GM Authority

Thought this was a good story on the differences between standard and MagneRide.

What Is Magnetic Ride Control, And How Does It Differ From Traditional Suspension? | DrivingLine

QUOTE: Under BWI's ownership, MagneRide's availability has expanded from its initial internal GM usage and Ferrari-licensed implementation to include applications such as the Ford Mustang, the Lamborghini Aventador, numerous high performance Audi models, the Acura NSX, several Acura SUVs, as well as members of the Land Rover sport-utility vehicle family. 

GM overview of ARC

General Motors Adaptive Ride Control | GM Authority

Latest shows that Magneride 4.0 is being used across the Cadillac Family and EVs.

image.png

Search Results (cadillac.com)

I will say that in regard to watches, I love my clock in the Escalade.

Escalade-ESV-Clock.jpg

Simple, easy to read and classy for what it does well.

9 hours ago, ccap41 said:

It's not pretty but I can appreciate an analog clock in a vehicle. 

Im not too crazy about watches in cars.  If its there its there.  The Escalde Bulgari is OK, I guess.

The later Chrysler 300 clock is better looking than the Escalade clock.

Used 2013 Chrysler 300C for sale in Edenvale Gauteng - ID: 510025 |  CARmag.co.za

It was round in the earlier generations.  

Obviously the ones in Rolls Royces clocks and Bentlys are chic, expensive etc...but I dont view them as I do plain ole wrist watches.  OK...I  CAN AND DO  appriciate them.   I prefer to see  clocks in the older cars.  I guess from the 1900s-1950s'.   Not in the modern ones. 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...