Not So Super S-Dime

Guest YellowJacket894

Guest YellowJacket894

Photos of my truck with a big apology for the quality, although it does flatter the truck somewhat. Better photos next month.

(Play a game here. Let's call it "Spot The Damage." Title explains the rules.)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A short list of what is wrong (posted in another thread).

Point 1: No air conditioning. Don't get me wrong. It's not that the truck doesn't have the option, it's just busted, went FUBAR about a year ago.

On the bright side, the defroster still has warm air.  :nono:

Point 2: The interior smells very funky. And why shouldn't it? This was used as a work truck, for the grind of the daily commute. Sweat has stained the cloth with just about the most irritating stench ever. Not even Febreeze can cover it up.

Point 3: Cracking dash. Right above the left side of the airbag cover, there is a miniscule version of the Grand Canyon and Colorado River cutting the side of the dash right in two. It's not that big right now, but I am aware that it's growing every day. This is going to be nasty to fix.

Point 4: Busted cruise control. The end of the stalk that held that feature broke off after Bush's "strategery" to steal the election away from Gore involving his good ol brother Jeb had worked out great and he kept talking about something which I don't care to remember. It dangled there for a while until someone just yanked it right off the wires and threw it in the driver's side map pocket. Well, it's now back on there (still doesn't work, though). Super glued. Don't need to worry about an unprofessional job with the duct tape here.

Point 5: What the f@#k is up with pinstriping on a truck? I don't think it makes a truck look classy, like it's in "a pinstriped suit," to quote a friend of mine. It really emasculates a truck (just like the alloy rims). It's peeling away in a few spots. I'm tempted to just rip the rest of it off of there.

Point 6: Wanna go swimmin in the bed? I'm taking the bedliner out of the back of the truck. Whoever installed it was snorting up black tar herion. Water always pools near the cab deep enough to stick your whole hand in.

Point 7: Busted grille. My truck has a Billy Bob grin. A bird flew into the grille and knocked a hole in it. There's also another hole in another spot and I don't know how it got there.

Point 8: This truck is so beat up, even the manual is ripping apart. I don't care about that, really. Just thought I'd include that to prove the point.

Way cooler than my first vehicle! :D

Well, no one asked, but here's my thought on this truck: drive it like it is, don't put money into mods. Take care of it, don't break it. If it's lasted this long, it will serve the driver well until something "better" (S-10s are great little trucks) comes along.

The reason I am recommending no mods is... no matter what you do to it, it will still be a '98 S-10 with 153,000 miles on it... the mods will not add any value to it.

I would keep it maintained, and as for the interior stink, I'd take it to a professional cleaning service to see what they can do, otherwise, it's an admirable vehicle that should be left unmolested.

Guest YellowJacket894

Well, I plan on keeping this after I find something better and not selling it. . .

But some work will do this truck good. Trust me. :D :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by YellowJacket894

S10s are tougher than they look and what they get credit for. If I do decide to get a vehicle to practice driving a stick, a five-speed S10 is at the top of my list.

My sentiments agree with ocn's for the most part. Fix what's broken first (in order of importance to you).

The broken super stalk would annoy me after the second time it came apart. I'd tackle that first. Unfortunately it's probably a GM-only part, but IIRC it's not that bad to install.

The dash will be a PITA to fix, since the whole truck has to come apart. I'd either shove some soft glue in there and paint over it, or throw one of those dash rugs over it. Check JC Whitney...maybe they have one of those vacuum-fit dashboard overlays.

If you have a plastic bedliner, by all means rip it out. Water laying in a bed is bad news. Even though it may not be touching metal directly, the extra moisture could accelerate rust/rot. Replace it with the rubberized spray-on bedliner that's in vogue right now. They sell it at Autozone by the gallon for pretty cheap. Just watch that the factory drain holes don't get plugged with the stuff.

You can probably get a good grille from a junkie for a song and a dance.

The seat probably needs to be deep cleaned. Whatever's causing the smell is embedded in the fabric. Febreeze won't do anything because it sits on the surface. You can try it yourself with those interior cleaners with the brush on top of the can....I have one made by Prestone. Saturate the seat with the stuff, and work the brush in tight, heavy strokes. Then let the truck sit in the sun with the windows open. If that doesn't work, a professional cleaner can probably save it.

Guest YellowJacket894

I don't know, guys. I'd like to modify the truck a bit, make it stand out.

In any case, the paint has to go. It's scratched in I don't know how many places and washing it doesn't help the appearance. Same for the pinstripe. I really hate pinstriping on any car, especially S-10s. It looks like an afterthought and it's just irritating to look at.

Don't go by the photos. Seriously. I took those photos after washing and cleaning it up a bit. Plus, the only digital camera in the house is a cheap twenty-dollar deal from Wal-Mart and you can see that the quality makes this truck look like a fat hooker after ten beers and a few rounds of Johnnie Walker.

I probably sound like I'm bitching about it and nothing else. I won't lie here. I guess I am. It's not that I'm ungrateful or anything to have the truck, it's just that this truck has potential I'd like to take advantage of. These trucks look so great after a few well-thought out mods. Plus, nothing beats working on your own vehicle, customizing it and making it personal.

Eh... Just look at it this way. I wanted to mod my Grand Am in so many ways. Well, now look at it. I'm glad I didnt because it would have been money wasted. Not saying you shouldn't but if anything ever goes wrong, it'll just turn into a money pit, from the repairs and the mods. Better to save money in case something goes wrong.

Guest YellowJacket894

Yeah. You know, I'm really starting to reconsider the whole idea. Plus, I don't think I'll be driving this long, anyway.

Next month, I should have a part-time job. If I stick with it a month and make enough money to pay for a car, I'll just go that route. I'll buy what I want so if I want to put some money in it, I'll have most of what I want done already when it comes to paint and a few other places.

If things go that way, I'm thinking of either any early model or late model F-Body or a Chevy Colorado regular cab in black with the new I-5 and a manny tranny, with either the Xtreme package if I go with a two-wheel drive truck or the Sport or the Z71 package if I go with a four-wheel drive truck. Leather seats are prefered with a console and no power windows or locks (can you even get that?).

And if that falls through, I've got the S-10 to come back to.

But, in the meantime, I'll just keep on thinking about it. :D

That's probably the wisest thing you can do. I had ideas of modding the truck or getting an older Camaro to mod when I began to start work.

Six months on and ten thousand dollars later, I still haven't touched the truck or bought a crappy car to fix.

I'd rather save up for a good car, or something from the muscle era, something that I'll still enjoy driving years on.

Leather seats are prefered with a console and no power windows or locks (can you even get that?).

193737[/snapback]

Regular Cab models do not offer the leather trim - just cloth (don't ask me why - for years now you can't even order a Regular Cab Sierra or Silverado in the SLT/LT trims with leather). Power windows, locks & mirrors are part of an option group that you have the choice of not getting on the Regular Cab. If you order the truck with bucket seats, you automatically get the console. Build it out on GMBuyPower to see for yourself though, and to make sure I'm not mistaken for 2007.

And if you don't mind, could I suggest this:

Posted Image

Of course that's the Crew Cab model, but the ZQ8 sport suspension is offered on the Regualr Cab too (and that was pictured in the 2006 brochure - I couldn't quickly find it's picture online to post here). You seem to really like the Syclone a lot, so why not get a GMC over the Chevy? Plus I'm not to fond of the Xtreme package, I'd rather have the Canyon and then add my own mods. Believe it or not, when deciding what "toy" to buy I was debating whether to get the SKY or a Canyon Regular Cab Z71 4wd! Crazy choices, I know, but I really, really, really want a truck too (wife's only allowing me one toy for now - bummer).

Guest YellowJacket894

Regular Cab models do not offer the leather trim - just cloth (don't ask me why - for years now you can't even order a Regular Cab Sierra or Silverado in the SLT/LT trims with leather).  Power windows, locks & mirrors are part of an option group that you have the choice of not getting on the Regular Cab.  If you order the truck with bucket seats, you automatically get the console.  Build it out on GMBuyPower to see for yourself though, and to make sure I'm not mistaken for 2007.

Ah, forget the leather then. Gray cloth is fine with me as long as I can get bucket seats.

I also built the truck out over at GMC.com. The price was a little over $16,000. Not too bad, I suppose, but what it really comes down to is the monthly payment.

And if you don't mind, could I suggest this:

Posted Image

Why, yes. You could suggest that. :D :AH-HA_wink:

Of course that's the Crew Cab model, but the ZQ8 sport suspension is offered on the Regualr Cab too (and that was pictured in the 2006 brochure - I couldn't quickly find it's picture online to post here).  You seem to really like the Syclone a lot, so why not get a GMC over the Chevy?  Plus I'm not to fond of the Xtreme package, I'd rather have the Canyon and then add my own mods.

I guess the reason I said I'd go for the Chevy was because you can get body color pieces where the chrome usually goes. But, if I want the truck to look like that, I guess paint can fix that, huh? :D

If I go for one of the 355s, the GMC really is my first choice. I'm starting to prefer the look of GMC's products over Chevy's trucks. The Canyon is just way more clean in appearance. The only exception is in the case of the Tahoe and Yukon, but I don't expect to see that particular fascia design on the Yukon around for much longer. After the Yukon's MCE, things should get interesting (I hope).

Believe it or not, when deciding what "toy" to buy I was debating whether to get the SKY or a Canyon Regular Cab Z71 4wd!  Crazy choices, I know, but I really, really, really want a truck too (wife's only allowing me one toy for now - bummer).

I hear that. The next vehicle for me will be either an F-Body or the Canyon. As soon as I have a job, I should start looking into them both. No doubt it'll be a tough choice.

I have an '06 Colorado brochure, but I think I should get the one for the '07 Canyon so I can check into things a little bit further.

As for the S-10, I think if I do put any money into it, it'll be to fix and improve what irritates me the most.

Edited by YellowJacket894

• 4 weeks later...

The nice thing about trucks is they can be beat to $h! and they actually look cooler than brand new.

Trucks are SUPPOSED to be beat up... thats half the fun... I never get these guys who buy a truck and keep it all nice and polished, no scratches, clean bed, etc... I mean I understand it, but they obviously bought the wrong type of vehicle.

• 1 month later...

Dude, it ain't that bad.

You ain't got a Beware Of Dog sign pretending to be a floorboard...

Posted Image

Your truck is not a combination of blue, primer gray, green, beige, and primer red...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Your windshield is not perforated...

Posted Image

And you don't have intermittent steering...

Posted Image

God, how I do miss my last pickup truck...'70 Ford F-100 bought for $406 on eBay and stolen four months later...why they stole my truck and not the Volvo wagon which ran better and even had the dang keys laying on the floorboard, I'll never know...