• Cadillac Series 70 Eldorado
    • Lincoln Premiere
    • Imperial Crown
    • Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud
    • Bentley S1
    • Mercedes Benz 300
    • Jaguar Mk VIII
    • BMW 501

The year is 1957. You've just been promoted to Senior Adviser to the Assistant Vice Deputy General Secretary at the National Center for the Association of Institutes. Your new job requires a lot of travel and the need to impress people once you get there. Your current car is looking a bit dilapidated and isn't up to the task.

1940Ford.jpg

Since the company is willing to pay the cost of a chauffeur, you decide a large four door luxury car is what you need. The only question is, which one?

1957 Cadillac Series 70 Eldorado

1957CadillacSeries70EldoradoBrougham.jpg

1957 Lincoln Premiere

1957LincolnPremiere.jpg

1957 Imperial Crown

1957ImperialCrown.jpg

1957 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud

1957Rolls-RoyceSilverCloud.jpg

1957 Bentley S1

1957BentleyS1.jpg

1957 Mercedes 300

1957Mercedes300.jpg

1957 Jaguar Mk VIII

1957JaguarMarkVIII.jpg

1957 BMW 501

1957BMW501.jpg

I would have to take a test-sit in the Cadillac and the Imperial before making a move on this. The Lincoln appears absolutely ordinary compared to the other two domestics and the Europeans all look dorky except for the Benz, and to a lesser extent, the Rolls.

To be chauffeured, the Eldo or Imperial would work quite well. To drive, though, I'd want 1957s best looking American car, IMO..

Chrysler-300C_1957_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

Good choice for 1957 Beauty Queen.

Maybe for you two, but this is the beauty queen I'd be voting for:

post-418-0-25597300-1340732026_thumb.jpg

I have to Vote +1 for this Beauty! :D

The EB is nice because it performs both duties (driver's car or head of state car) with exemplary aplomb.

The euro-barges were anachronistic slugs still shy of 200 HP with little in the way of amenities; good at neither task.

I'm a huge fan of the '50s MoPar super cars, but they're not in the same category here.

• Agree 2

Imperial and Cadillac, I believe, produced limousines that year. I wonder if Lincoln ever produced a limo at the factory level. The Eldorado and Crown shown weren't limos, per se, if we're talking strictly of cars one is "driven" in.

EDIT: I stand corrected, if my source is correct, Lincoln did make a factory limo in 1957, with no extra length in wheelbase, but with an extended rear passenger compartment. Now I need photos.

Edited by ocnblu

To be chauffeured, the Eldo or Imperial would work quite well. To drive, though, I'd want 1957s best looking American car, IMO..

Chrysler-300C_1957_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

Good choice for 1957 Beauty Queen.

Maybe for you two, but this is the beauty queen I'd be voting for:

post-418-0-25597300-1340732026_thumb.jpg

I'm with you pal...

I wonder if they would have put a Tri power in a 4 door? I don't really know....but wasn't the 57 Olds available as a Tri power?

...and OMFG...I am just spechless with the photograph of that Olds.

^ yep, the J-2 3x2bbl option was available across the board, IIRC.

The Olds is nice looking, but likewise is not in this category.

Personally, tho one of the nicest '50s Olds's, it still doesn't inspire lust in me.

OCN~ an 'extended pass compartment / same wheelbase' Lincoln would be a new one on me. I for one would very much be interested in reading more.

Cadillac's Series 75s were indeed factory built. Imperial's bodies were factory-authorized, but the bodies were outsourced, IIRC. Lincoln didn't offer a commercial chassis, I don't believe there was a factory limo, but haven't studied Lincoln in this era that deeply.

I went over to that "old car brochure" site (fascinating) and started with 1957 on the Lincoln list. I saw limousines in the 1959 brochure, Continental Town Car it was called I believe.

I also didn't realize that the original, classic '61 Continental we all hold up as Lincoln's styling zenith was so small. It was, in turn, enlarged each model year after that a bit at a time for several years. They certainly hid it well.

Lincolns of the era (early 50's saw their racing success) seemed well-engineered, but weren't blessed with amazing style until '61. I wonder how that smaller '61 Continental sold against Cadillac and Imperial.

BTW.... Anyone know what the O/P's "current car" (the rusty wreck) is, and how it's worth might compare to those listed below it???

The hideous wreck is a famous custom car, IIRC. '40 Ford or something like that...it looks familiar from some context, but I can't place it.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I went over to that "old car brochure" site (fascinating) and started with 1957 on the Lincoln list. I saw limousines in the 1959 brochure, Continental Town Car it was called I believe.

Looked at that, but it appears there's no longer wheelbase involved, and from the pic I don't see a greatly larger rear compartment. IOW, I think Lincoln mis-appropriated the 'limousine' moniker to a significant degree.

Looked at that, but it appears there's no longer wheelbase involved, and from the pic I don't see a greatly larger rear compartment. IOW, I think Lincoln mis-appropriated the 'limousine' moniker to a significant degree.

Not sure about 1957, but I do recall reading about 2 different rooflines on the '58-60 Continental 4drs...there was a version w/ a vinyl or padded top and more formal rear window..that may be what this in reference to.