Earlier this month, we reported that the Buick Verano would be leaving at the end of the 2017 model year. This is due to the sales sliding down due in part to the success of crossovers such as the Encore. At the time, General Motors declined to comment on the story. Today, they have made it official.
In a statement provided to Automotive News, General Motors said Verano production would wind down at its Lake Orion plant in October. The model will have an abbreviated 2017 model year. The decision as to why comes down to crossovers.
“When we’re thinking about where we’re investing for the future, with the whole market moving toward SUVs, that’s where we want to put our investment,” said Buick spokesman Stuart Fowle to The Detroit News.
Workers at Lake Orion were notified about the decision on Wednesday. Dealers were told about it during national meetings in Austin, Texas this week.
The writing on the wall for the Verano's departure has been on the wall for a while. Last year, Buick sold 31,886 Veranos while the similarly priced Encore crossover moved 67,549 units. Also, Buick's chief Duncan Aldred said that 70 percent of Buick's sales will be made up of crossovers once the Envision hits dealers.