Chevrolet has announced pricing for the new Malibu ECO due out in the first quarter of next year. The 26 City/38 Highway MPG Malibu will carry a base price of $25,995 including a $760 destination charge.
The Malibu ECO is Chevrolet's first vehicle equipped with GM's eAssist mild hybrid system. The system uses a lithium-ion battery and electric motor to provide regenerative braking, electric assist and start-stop functionality. The system is coupled with a 2.4L Ecotec four-cylinder producing 180 HP and a six-speed automatic. Other changes to the Malibu ECO include active grille shutters, aluminum hood, aluminum rear bumper beam, lower final drive ratio, and low-rolling resistance tires help the Malibu get 550 miles on a single tank of gasoline.
The Malibu ECO is generous in standard features which include Chevrolet MyLink, CD/MP3 stereo with seven-inch touch screen, USB, SiriusXM satellite radio, dual zone automatic climate control,cruise control, power windows and locks, tilt and telescopic steering wheel with built-in audio controls, projector-beam headlamps, heated and power adjustable exterior mirrors, acoustic-laminated glass to reduced wind noise, and 17-inch wheels.
Press Release is on Page 2
2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco Priced Under $26,000
Hybrid-like fuel efficiency for a non-hybrid-like price
DETROIT – The all-new 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco midsize sedan will start at $25,995 when it arrives in dealerships in the first quarter next year, reinforcing the value proposition of the midsize segment’s longest-running nameplate.
The suggested retail price includes a $760 destination charge but excludes tax, title, license and dealer fees.
The 2013 Malibu Eco is Chevrolet’s most fuel-efficient Malibu ever. It is the first Chevrolet to feature General Motors’ eAssist battery electric/gas propulsion system, which uses a state-of-the-art lithium-ion battery and an electric motor-generator to enable regenerative braking, electric assist and start-stop functionality. That helps deliver a GM-estimated 26 mpg in city driving and 38 mpg on the highway.
Malibu Eco’s highway efficiency is comparable the segment’s popular full hybrids and diesels, but delivered at a lower price:
- 2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid – $29,395 / 36 mpg
- 2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE Diesel (with automatic) – $27,895 / 40 mpg
- 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid – $26,660 / 39 mpg
- 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid – $26,545 / 40 mpg
Malibu Eco is part of the all-new, 2013 Malibu lineup – Chevrolet’s first global midsize sedan – designed to give customers more style, fuel efficiency, content and features, along with the craftsmanship and dynamic capabilities rivaling high-end sedans. It has a more powerful engine – 182 hp / 134 kW – than the Fusion (156 hp / 116 kW), Camry (178 hp / 132 kW) or Passat (140 hp / 104 kW).
Product highlights for North American models include:
- Expressive exterior designed to stand out, with a wide, athletic stance
- Aerodynamically optimized exterior, including underbody aero enhancements and electronically controlled shutters in the lower grille that close at higher speeds to push more air over and around the vehicle
- All-new, Chevrolet-signature dual-cockpit interior that is more spacious, features premium materials and is engineered to be the quietest in the midsize segment
- First Chevrolet car to offer new Chevrolet MyLink connectivity, which integrates online services such as Pandora® Internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio®
- European-influenced ride and handling traits
- More safety features and technologies, including eight standard air bags, ultra-high-strength steel and rearview camera system.
Additional fuel-saving features include:
- Eco-specific lightweight components and systems, including an aluminum hood, aluminum rear bumper beam, low-mass carpet and dash mat and more, which save approximately 130 pounds (58 kg) over a comparably equipped non-ECO model
- An Eco gauge in the cluster that continuously responds to driving behavior, encouraging fuel-efficient driving. An Auto Stop Indicator on the tachometer informs the driver when the engine is in start-stop mode
- Seventeen-inch low-rolling-resistance all-season Goodyear tires
- The eAssist system mated to a fuel-efficient 2.4L Ecotec direct-injection four-cylinder engine and next-generation six-speed automatic transmission. The 2.4L engine, a variant of the same engine that was recognized as one of Ward's Ten Best Engines in 2010, is lightweight and features dual-overhead cams, direct injection, continuously variable intake and exhaust timing and electronic throttle control. It also has a lightweight aluminum cylinder block and cylinder head.
A five-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty, as well as a three-year/36,000-mile bumper-to-bumper limited warranty is standard on the Malibu Eco. Certain eAssist components are covered by an eight-year/100,000-mile warranty, including the electric motor generator, three-phase electric power cables and high-voltage lithium-ion battery.
The Malibu Eco is offered with cloth or leather seats in eight exterior and three interior color choices. It is well-equipped in standard form and available with four equipment packages: Package 1 – Power Convenience; Package 2 – Premium Audio; Package 3 – Leather; and Package 4 – Navigation.
Standard powertrain and chassis content:
- Ecotec 2.4L direct injection with continuously variable valve timing and eAssist technology, rated at 182 horsepower (135 kW)
- Six-speed automatic transmission with tap-shift control
- 2.64:1 axle ratio
- Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS
- Regenerative braking
- Grade braking control
- Panic brake assist
- Electronic park brake with push button
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system
- Electric power steering (rack-mounted)
- MacPherson strut front suspension
- Four-link rear suspension
- Seventeen-inch five-spoke aluminum wheels
- P225/55R17 all-season low-rolling-resistance Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires
Standard exterior content:
- Active front lower grille aero shutters and aerodynamic underbody panels
- Projector-beam headlamps with automatic exterior lamp control
- Heated, power-adjustable outside mirrors (body color)
- Fin-type combined OnStar/SiriusXM Satellite Radio antenna (body color)
- Acoustic-laminated, solar-absorbing glass
- Intermittent windshield wipers with structureless blades
Standard interior content:
- Chevrolet MyLink
- Six-inch-deep illuminated (when headlamps are on) hidden storage behind articulating touch screen radio face
- Air conditioning – dual zone automatic climate control with odor filter
- Audio system: AM/FM stereo with CD with MP3 playback and auxiliary input jack
- Seven-inch-diagonal color touch screen for the audio system
- USB port for the audio system
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio
- Six-speaker sound system
- Bluetooth phone and audio connectivity
- Cruise control
- Remote keyless entry
- Power windows with express down feature
- Power door and window locks
- Driver information center
- Tilt and telescopic steering column
- Steering wheel audio and cruise controls
- Ice blue ambient lighting
- Driver’s footrest
- Overhead console
- Compass display
- Two auxiliary power outlets
- Rear center armrest with storage
Standard safety content:
- OnStar with six months of Directions and Connections plan, including Automatic Crash Response, Crisis Assist, Stolen Vehicle Assistance, Remote Door Unlock, and more.
- Dual-stage frontal air bags
- Driver and front passenger thorax side-impact air bags
- Driver and front passenger knee air bags
- Head curtain side-impact air bags (front and rear outboard seating positions)
- Safety belt pretensioners
- Tire pressure monitoring system
Package 1 – Power Convenience includes all standard equipment plus:
- Eight-way power driver’s seat with lumbar control
- Rearview backup camera system
- Remote start
- Auto-dimming inside rearview mirror
- Universal garage door opener
Package 2 – Premium Audio includes all content in Package 1 plus:
- Pioneer nine-speaker audio system with high-output amplifier
- Fog lamps
- Leather-wrapped shifter knob and steering wheel
Package 3 – Leather includes all content in Package 2 plus:
- Leather-trimmed seating
- Eight-way power-adjustable front passenger seat with lumbar control
- Heated front seats
Package 4 – Navigation includes all content in Package 3 plus:
- Navigation system
- Memory seats and mirrors
- Auto-up driver’s window
A power-operated sunroof is available on Packages 1, 2, 3 and 4.
Exterior Color Choices:
- Silver Ice Metallic
- Black Granite Metallic
- Summit White
- Crystal Red Tintcoat
- White Diamond Tricoat
- Taupe Gray Metallic
- Steel Blue Metallic (late availability)
- Champagne Silver Metallic (late availability)
Interior Color/Trim Choices:
- Jet Black
- Jet Black/Titanium
- Cocoa/Light Neutral
The Eco is the first trim level of an all-new Malibu lineup to launch in the United States. Other Malibu trim levels including LS, LT and LTZ are scheduled to begin production next summer in Fairfax, Kan. and Detroit-Hamtramck. The 2013 Malibu will be sold in nearly 100 countries on six continents and will serve as a flagship Chevrolet midsize in many parts of the world. The Malibu is built in multiple locations including the United States, China and Korea.