• Sign in to follow this  

    Ford Details Engine Outputs for 2018 F-150 and Expedition


    • We finally get some more info on power for the 2018 F-150 and Expedition

    When Ford unveiled the updated 2018 F-150 back in January, they had announced new and updated engines. But they only spilled the performance figures on one, a 3.3L V6 producing 290 horsepower and 265 pound-feet of torque. Today, the blue oval reveal performance details on a couple more engines.

    The 2.7L EcoBoost V6 remains at 325 horsepower, but torque is up 25 pound-feet to 400. Part of the increase comes from the 2.7 getting port injection. The 5.0L V8 sees increases of 10 horsepower and 13 pound-feet for power figures of 395 and 400 respectively. It gets port injection and spray-in bore liners that is used in the Mustang GT350. Both engines will come paired with a new 10-speed automatic.

    Ford is still keeping quiet on power figures for the upcoming 3.0L PowerStroke turbodiesel V6. We'll likely learn about that sometime next spring.

    Ford also detailed the power figures for the upcoming 2018 Expedition. As we suspected back in February, the 3.5L EcoBoost V6 will produce 375 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque. If you go for the top-line Platinum, power increases to 400 and 480 respectively. 

    Source: Ford



      Report Article
    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback



    Recommended Comments

    Guest AsianPersuasian

    Posted

    Put me down for the TTV6.  Should be a brute with the new 10 speed.  Raptor is too much truck for me. And it looks 100X better as well.  

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    11 hours ago, Guest AsianPersuasian said:

    Put me down for the TTV6.  Should be a brute with the new 10 speed.  Raptor is too much truck for me. And it looks 100X better as well.  

    That would be an extremely wise choice. I am not a Ford guy, but even I have to admit their trucks are fantastic.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Why haven't they Ecoboosted the V8 yet?  An NA V8 in today's world is pointless, a turbo 6 beats it in torque by 75.  Ford should be 100% ecoboost across all model lines by 2020.  

    That diesel is a question mark, because how are they going to pass emissions with out crazy cost on the product itself and crazy cost in the certification process.  Everyone making a diesel has been fined or sued so far.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

    Why haven't they Ecoboosted the V8 yet?  An NA V8 in today's world is pointless, a turbo 6 beats it in torque by 75.  Ford should be 100% ecoboost across all model lines by 2020.  

    That diesel is a question mark, because how are they going to pass emissions with out crazy cost on the product itself and crazy cost in the certification process.  Everyone making a diesel has been fined or sued so far.

    It's not pointless.  A N/A V8 is much more responsive than a Turbo-V6 of similar output. 

    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1
    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

    I can't see the point in Ecoboosting the V8...they make plenty of power out of the V8s now in the F-series and Mustang.

    Come on Cubical, we all know that SMK believes that everything has to be twin turbocharged, V12 at least if not V16 to straight 6 & 4 still with Turbos to be of any consideration to him. ;)

    • Like 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    26 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    Personally, I'll only drive something with an inline-16, quad-turbo, and just to be difficult, I want it transversely mounted. 

    You will fit in well in southern Ohio then.  That would be one wide vehicle, and perfect for Ohio's wildly and obscenely obese population.

    2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

    Why haven't they Ecoboosted the V8 yet?  An NA V8 in today's world is pointless, a turbo 6 beats it in torque by 75.  Ford should be 100% ecoboost across all model lines by 2020.  

    That diesel is a question mark, because how are they going to pass emissions with out crazy cost on the product itself and crazy cost in the certification process.  Everyone making a diesel has been fined or sued so far.

    I don't think Mercedes has yet....

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    But not everyone making a diesel has been sued for all of their diesels.  GM was only the Duramax, the Cruze and Colorado are fine. BMW was only under suspicion, as was Benz.  FCA didn't even design their diesels, VMMotori or Cummins did.  Nissan's Cummins diesel appears to be unscathed so far.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    14 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    But not everyone making a diesel has been sued for all of their diesels.  GM was only the Duramax, the Cruze and Colorado are fine. BMW was only under suspicion, as was Benz.  FCA didn't even design their diesels, VMMotori or Cummins did.  Nissan's Cummins diesel appears to be unscathed so far.

    Given the potential of diesel to reduce CO2 production and fuel consumption, why do the feds just not relax the standards for NOX emissions just a bit?

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, regfootball said:

    Lots of folks in heartland / muhrIca don't trust turbos yet and therefore is still huge market for the plain v8

    Exactly...hell, in Amish country they don't even trust electricity or internal combustion.

    • Like 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    4 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

    Exactly...hell, in Amish country they don't even trust electricity or internal combustion.

    Heh-heh...I think I'm going to swing by Sugarcreek tomorrow...get some cheese.  Going to go down to the farm and visit my brother.

    • Like 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    59 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

    Heh-heh...I think I'm going to swing by Sugarcreek tomorrow...get some cheese.  Going to go down to the farm and visit my brother.

    I love living in Ohio.

    • Like 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    7 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

    I can't see the point in Ecoboosting the V8...they make plenty of power out of the V8s now in the F-series and Mustang.

    400 hp and 480 lb-ft from a 3.5 V6 and 395 hp and 400 lb-ft from a 5.0 V8.  Why is the V8 here?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    Guest AsianPersuasian

    Posted

    II am impressed that the economy engine 2.7L manages 400ftlbs.  That is almost as impressive as the Navigator which will have 450hp and 500ftlbs.  No V8 needed here.  

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    23 hours ago, smk4565 said:

    400 hp and 480 lb-ft from a 3.5 V6 and 395 hp and 400 lb-ft from a 5.0 V8.  Why is the V8 here?

    People that prefer no turbo. They fear a turbo is unreliable. 

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    Guest AsianPersuasian

    Posted

    Turbo engines are very reliable, because all they have to do is spin using exhaust gas.  Nothing is more simplistic than that.  Today's modern turbo's take advantage of much better oils to eliminate coking, improved metallurgy and smarter design and cooling.  200K miles should be no issue at all and I hear much more if properly maintained.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I love the 5.0  My choice as i would simply trust it more and that sound!!!!!!!  Nothing needed to be pumped through the speakers there.  

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    On 6/18/2017 at 4:37 PM, Guest AsianPersuasian said:

    Turbo engines are very reliable, because all they have to do is spin using exhaust gas.  Nothing is more simplistic than that.  Today's modern turbo's take advantage of much better oils to eliminate coking, improved metallurgy and smarter design and cooling.  200K miles should be no issue at all and I hear much more if properly maintained.

    While all of that may be and largely is true, People like my parents who have been buying F-150s for longer than I have been alive don't trust turbos.   It's the same mentality as someone who won't buy a 2017 Focus because their Great Aunt's lesbian roommate had a 1972 Ford Maverick that broke down all the time. 

    I don't have a problem with turbos as far as reliability goes... though I do notice they are more strict about oil changes.  My issues with turbos come from the idea that they can be a substitute for a larger displacement engine in all case and still provide the same driving feel.  If I were buying an F-150, I'd want the 5.0 also.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

    Guest
    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.