• Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

    General Motors Expands Their Diesel Lineup To Meet Upcoming Fuel Economy Regs, Win Over Former VW Customers


    • Why is GM expanding their diesel offerings?

    Despite the dark cloud that diesel has gotten due to the Volkswagen diesel emission scandal, General Motors sees a bright future for it.

    “The outlook for diesel in the U.S.A. is actually promising. We definitely see certain segments reaching 10 percent penetration and yes, an upside potential of 10 percent overall,” said Dan Nicholson, GM’s vice president of global propulsion systems to The Detroit News.

    Case in point, nine percent of Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon trucks sold are equipped with a diesel.

    General Motors already has six vehicles available with a diesel (Silverado and Sierra HD: Colorado, Canyon, Express, and Savana). But they are planning to add three more diesel models in the coming year - Cruze, Equinox, and Terrain.

    Why? A lot of it comes down to the upcoming CAFE mandate that an automaker's fleet average must meet 54.5 mpg by 2025. GM sees diesel as a way to help reach this goal. Also with the ongoing Volkswagen mess, GM sees an opportunity to possibly draw former Volkswagen TDI owners to one of their models.

    Source: The Detroit News

    0


    Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0


    User Feedback


    Word is that by 2018 there will be 10 Chevy and GMCs with Diesel. My question is why,.. with the competition offering it avail.. does the ATS, CTS, and XT5 not have a diesel ready to go? Please no one say that the engines's aren't refined enough.. because for one.. their was an actual time that the ATS was pushing a 2.5L. Great engine in a Cruze or Malibu.. but the single pipe ATS makes me cringe when I see it.,

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Maybe GM wants a better diesel engine for the cars.  You could get away with a different type of engine in trucks.  Or perhaps Cadillac does not want a diesel engine in their cars.

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I am excited that they will have these Diesel choices in Chevy. For Cadillac, I would rather see Hybrids and EV's. Beat MB and BMW to the punch by having a superior line of auto's. Diesel does not need to be in Luxury.

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    7 hours ago, dfelt said:

    I am excited that they will have these Diesel choices in Chevy. For Cadillac, I would rather see Hybrids and EV's. Beat MB and BMW to the punch by having a superior line of auto's. Diesel does not need to be in Luxury.

    U kno what? God Damn it U make a lot of sense to me.:D Definitely cleaner.  I'm dying to get my hands on a CT6 Hybrid. If it proves to be a hit..  implementing it in CTS,  XT5,  and ATS would be a good thing.  I still think that the Escalade might benefit from diesel tho

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    21 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

    Word is that by 2018 there will be 10 Chevy and GMCs with Diesel. My question is why,.. with the competition offering it avail.. does the ATS, CTS, and XT5 not have a diesel ready to go? Please no one say that the engines's aren't refined enough.. because for one.. their was an actual time that the ATS was pushing a 2.5L. Great engine in a Cruze or Malibu.. but the single pipe ATS makes me cringe when I see it.,

    Do that many 3/C/A4 sell with their diesel variants? I think(granted just a complete assumption) that most in these luxury fields are wanting a little more athleticism and diesels kind of take that away as they're usually fuel economy minded and fairly slow.

    Agreed, that 2.5 was not made for Cadillac. Cadillac is too good for that.  

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    3 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

     I still think that the Escalade might benefit from diesel tho

    Put the 910lb/ft Duramax in there!

    1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites


    Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

    Guest
    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

    ×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

      Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor