• Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

    Whistle-Blower To Have Cause The Departure Of Joel Ewanick


    William Maley

    Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

    August 8, 2012

    Last week, we reported on the departure of GM's global marketing chief, Joel Ewanick. The reason given out at the time was Ewanick not meeting up to expectations. A day after his departure, a report from Bloomberg said Ewanick's departure was due to a review of a recent sponsorship agreement that didn't meet company policy.

    A week later, a new report from Bloomberg sheds some more light on why Ewanick was kicked out.

    The recent sponsorship agreement in question was a partnership between Chevrolet and U.K. soccer team Manchester United. The agreement, lasting till 2021, would have GM shelling out $18.6 million for this and next year, rising to roughly $70 million in 2014, and increasing 2.1% after that. Total cost of the deal: $559 million.

    This would have been ok if Ewanick hadn't spread the cost out to other marketing budgets and disclosing a price that was much less than the $559 million.

    A source tells Bloomberg that a whistle-blower came forward questioning certain aspects of the agreement between GM and Manchester United. An internal investigation was launched and found that the total cost was much higher and hidden in other budgets. Ewanick denied he was hiding anything about the deal during the investigation, but that soon unraveled. Ewanick's resignation was announced on July 29th.

    Source: Bloomberg

    William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

    0


    Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0


    User Feedback


    There is always value in transparency, but many companies value results more. This was such a long term contract that Ewanick was sure to be gone before results came in on this program regardless if he resigned now or was fired 2 years from now for example.

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I think we also need to Question the value period for the contract full term length. This is such an outragous price for marketing that anyone with a reasonable head would have to question the cost.

    Sounds like GM did the right thing and I hope the next company that hires him will question if they want a man doing their marketing that will play this kind of games.

    As a stock holder, I would be exploding if mgmt was doing this. This is what old days GM would have done. Todays New GM needs to be better than this.

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites


    Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

    Guest
    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

    ×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

      Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor




  • Popular Stories

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. dans30thta
      dans30thta
      (48 years old)
  • Similar Content

    • By William Maley
      One question that we have found ourselves wondering is who blew the whistle on the software cheat Volkswagen was using on their TDI models. A new book says it was someone at Volkswagen of America.
      Automotive News got their hands on Faster, Higher, Farther: The Volkswagen Scandal by New York Times reporter Jack Ewing. In the book, Ewing reveals that the head of VW’s Engineering and Environmental Office in the U.S., Stuart Johnson revealed the existence of the cheat to federal authorities. Johnson was the primary contact for the various regulation agencies in the U.S. and would be one of the people on the front lines when the scandal unfolded.
      In the book, CARB deputy executive director Alberto Ayala named Johnson as the person who revealed the existence of Volkswagen's illegal software. This revelation took place prior to a key meeting between CARB and Volkswagen on August 19, 2015. By revealing this information, Johnson was violating orders given by VW's higher ups. This meeting is mentioned in the federal indictment of Oliver Schmidt, a former VW executive who is facing 11 federal charges dealing with the scandal. Johnson is mentioned in the indictment as “Cooperating Witness 1.”
      The indictment also states the witness “has agreed to cooperate with the government’s investigation in exchange for an agreement that the government will not prosecute CW1 in the United States.”
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      One question that we have found ourselves wondering is who blew the whistle on the software cheat Volkswagen was using on their TDI models. A new book says it was someone at Volkswagen of America.
      Automotive News got their hands on Faster, Higher, Farther: The Volkswagen Scandal by New York Times reporter Jack Ewing. In the book, Ewing reveals that the head of VW’s Engineering and Environmental Office in the U.S., Stuart Johnson revealed the existence of the cheat to federal authorities. Johnson was the primary contact for the various regulation agencies in the U.S. and would be one of the people on the front lines when the scandal unfolded.
      In the book, CARB deputy executive director Alberto Ayala named Johnson as the person who revealed the existence of Volkswagen's illegal software. This revelation took place prior to a key meeting between CARB and Volkswagen on August 19, 2015. By revealing this information, Johnson was violating orders given by VW's higher ups. This meeting is mentioned in the federal indictment of Oliver Schmidt, a former VW executive who is facing 11 federal charges dealing with the scandal. Johnson is mentioned in the indictment as “Cooperating Witness 1.”
      The indictment also states the witness “has agreed to cooperate with the government’s investigation in exchange for an agreement that the government will not prosecute CW1 in the United States.”
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
    • By dfelt
      G. David Felt
      Staff Writer Alternative Energy - www.CheersandGears.com
       
      200 MPH plus EV, Do we care?
       
      Yesterday April 13th 2017, Lucid sent out an email about how their near production test car hit a top speed of 217 mph at the Ohio's Transportation Center banked oval test track. Many of us that follow the industry know that Tesla limits their auto's to 155 mph.  Lucid is on record that they intend to meet the needs of the high-speed cruising market of Europe and Middle east. Simulations can only go so far on a computer and then you have to put rubber to the road. This allows the engineers to monitor and tweak everything from the power train, suspension, body fluidity and so much more. This will allow them to review the data, make adjustments and come back later to push the limit even higher.
      We know that Lucid is planning on a $60,000 dollar 400hp, 240 mile range RWD EV with the top model being a six figure AWD 1,000 HP and 400 miles of range on a super dense battery pack.
      This begs the Question, other than the few places you can push this kind of Speed, Does it matter any more if an auto can go over 100 plus mph?
      This question comes from seeing so many auto's that are now breaking that 6 second 0-60 speed showing they have the torque and hp to maintain the speed needed for daily driving.
      Lucid News 
    • By William Maley
      There are still a lot of unanswered questions concerning the sale of Opel/Vauxhall to PSA Groupe. A fair number deals with Buick as a number of their products (including the new Regal) are intertwined with Opel. GM executives say this will not affect Buick's lineup down the road.
      “The sale of Opel will have no impact on the fresh new lineup Buick is building out,” said Duncan Aldred, GM’s vice president of global Buick and GMC during the launch of the 2018 Regal this week.
      “This is very much part of our portfolio plan,” said Mark Reuss, GM’s executive vice president of global product development, purchasing, and supply chain to Car and Driver. “As we said, Opel and the engineering/production piece of this is very much intact for all of our global platforms. So, you know, no impact.”
      While the deal isn't fully finished yet, Reuss claimed that issues relating to products would be settled before the final transfer takes place. Reuss said he didn't know "of a specific agreement" when asked about if GM would pay PSA Group for engineering work done by Opel. 
      In related news, Automotive News Europe reports that Opel would continue to build Buick vehicles beyond 2019 in its German factories. 
      Source: Automotive News Europe (Subscription Required), Car and Driver

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      There are still a lot of unanswered questions concerning the sale of Opel/Vauxhall to PSA Groupe. A fair number deals with Buick as a number of their products (including the new Regal) are intertwined with Opel. GM executives say this will not affect Buick's lineup down the road.
      “The sale of Opel will have no impact on the fresh new lineup Buick is building out,” said Duncan Aldred, GM’s vice president of global Buick and GMC during the launch of the 2018 Regal this week.
      “This is very much part of our portfolio plan,” said Mark Reuss, GM’s executive vice president of global product development, purchasing, and supply chain to Car and Driver. “As we said, Opel and the engineering/production piece of this is very much intact for all of our global platforms. So, you know, no impact.”
      While the deal isn't fully finished yet, Reuss claimed that issues relating to products would be settled before the final transfer takes place. Reuss said he didn't know "of a specific agreement" when asked about if GM would pay PSA Group for engineering work done by Opel. 
      In related news, Automotive News Europe reports that Opel would continue to build Buick vehicles beyond 2019 in its German factories. 
      Source: Automotive News Europe (Subscription Required), Car and Driver
  • Recent Status Updates

  • Who's Online (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online