Create New...
    Drew Dowdell

2025 Mazda CX-70 Revealed

The 2025 CX-70 further pushes Mazda into the premium space.

2025 Mazda CX-70 front-sideThe much anticipated 2025 Mazda CX-70 has finally been released after a bit of a delay.  The new model to the Mazda lineup, the CX-70 further moves Mazda into the premium segment.

The CX-70 rides on the same rear-wheel drive platform as the new Mazda CX-90.  Powered by Mazda's new 3.3-liter, turbocharged inline-6 hybrid or 2.5-liter 4-cylinder plug-in hybrid trims, the powertrain promises a smooth and effortless driving experience typically reserved for luxury-branded vehicles.

While the specifications for the CX-70 haven't been released yet, in the CX-90, the power output from the mild hybrid is 280 horsepower @ 5,000 - 6,000 rpm and 332 lb-ft @ 2000 - 3,500 rpm. The plug-in hybrid model makes 323 horsepower @ 6,000 rpm on premium fuel or 319 horsepower at 6,000 rpm on regular fuel. The torque output of 369 lb-ft remains the same regardless of the octane.  Both powertrains feed the rear-biased all-wheel drive system via an eight-speed automatic. If plugged in, the system can provide an EV range of 26 miles and an MPGe of 56 mpg in the CX-90.  Those numbers could improve with the smaller and lighter CX-70.

2025 Mazda CX-70 interiorKeeping with Mazda's Zoom-Zoom personality, the CX-70 was designed with a wide, athletic stance, a benefit of being derived from a large platform. The interior maintains the luxury car level of quality with an available red Nappa leather coupled with high-end finishes.

The Mazda CX-70 goes on sale in the U.S. later this year. Click the gallery below to see more of the 2025 Mazda CX-70.

That's really incredible timing... I was just on their website last night saying, "Wow... why isn't there a 7? The 30, 50, and 90... there should be a 7 slotted right in the perfect spot."

The interior looks a bit boring, IMO.

4 minutes ago, Paolino said:

The interior looks a bit boring, IMO.

This is a Japanese-reliability, low-maintenance BMW X3 clone. Look at it next to an X3 interior and I think you'll see they nailed it.

Well, there are a couple of differences like open-pore wood trim in spots, a full digital instrument cluster... but yes, the BMW X-3 interior isn't exciting either. I hate the BMW's exterior, though.

This I think will be successful for them, sadly tall people will hit their head as I see the interior picture from the driver's side showing the open passenger side door shows that continuation of the Komodo Dragon racked windshield design that big people hit their head on much like Tesla. Little upper head room to get in as I do not know many who get in with a perfectly straight back into the chair.

Be interesting to see in person and try once they are on the lots.

30 minutes ago, Paolino said:

I dunno if I'd call open-pore wood "exciting", but for the price difference between the X3 and what this will likely come in at, I could overlook that anyway.

The instrument cluster is fully digital and reconfigurable.

2025_CX-70_20.jpg

The instrument cluster is fully digital and reconfigurable.

2025_CX-70_20.jpg

It's exciting to me LOL.. I like woodgrain interiors.

33 minutes ago, David said:

Be interesting to see in person and try once they are on the lots.

Frustrating... one of the problems with my LaCrosse is it's a tight squeeze when getting in... I can only duck so much.

• Agree 1

Except the CX-70 wheelbase is longer than a BMW X7 or a Chevy Traverse.  This is a 202 inch long vehicle that only seats 5.  I don't get the point of making a CX-90 with 2 less seats.  Why spend the R&D and marketing and certification budget to just cannibalize sales you are already getting with the CX-90?

I appreciate Mazda making rear drive, inline six, the long hood and short overhang rear like a German car.  If you want performance that is the formula to follow.  Although the other mystery to me is how a 3.3 liter turbo 6 makes 280 hp when any garden variety NA V6 from 10 years ago was making over 300 hp.   The 340 hp variant should be the base tune, and if they were even going to have a high output they should be making 440 hp easily.

If they really want to take on BMW they better step their game up, but I think no one is cross shopping a BMW and a Mazda, and Mazda's quest to go up market is probably just going to accelerate their demise since they are way behind on the EV game and they don't have the money to really get into it.  Who is really buying $60,000 CX-90s?  Go buy a Lexus for less money if you want reliablity and resale value.

5 hours ago, David said:

Be interesting to see in person and try once they are on the lots.

You can see it now, go drive a CX-90 and remove the 3rd row seat.  LOL

With California Politicians pushing to have speed regulators on all Auto's that whole Speed thing is a moot point for 0 to 60 if the auto see's your in a 25 mph zone and kills the accelerator when you hit 25mph.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

No one cares about 0-60 anymore. Fast enough is fast enough. If you want speed, trade in the horse and buggy and get an EV.

So they should have stuck with the turbo 4?  And invested in EV's rather than an inline 6?

The inline-6 is about smoothness and luxury feel. 280 horsepower is plenty for the class.  They feel like butter.  No one is counting 0-60 times running to the Real Estate Brokerage and back, but they want the experience to be nice.

• Agree 1

• google-news-icon.png

• Community Hive Community Hive

Community Hive allows you to follow your favorite communities all in one place.

Follow on Community Hive
  • google-news-icon.png

Cheers and Gears Logo

Since 2001 we've brought you real content and honest opinions, not AI-generated stuff with no feeling or opinions influenced by the manufacturers.

Please consider subscribing. Subscriptions can be as little as $1.75 a month, and a paid subscription drops most ads.*

You can view subscription options here.

*a very limited number of ads contain special coupon deals for our members and will show

• Interesting another one bites the dust. Mercedes that had in 2021 said it would be an EV only company by 2030 has in their Q4 call stated they will not put an end date on ICE, and they are now aiming to have 50% of global sales as EV. Mercedes Benz ditches plan to sell only EVs by 2030 (msn.com) Mercedes-Benz Group 2023 results*: Cash generation at work | Mercedes-Benz Media
    • I will stand corrected as I see Ford CEO in Dec 15 2023 confirmed that they were moving forward with Google on the Qualcomm Android system in supporting the use of Android Auto and Apple Carplay system.  I lumped Ford in with GM as a year earlier with the Qualcomm Announcement they said they would protect the data by not using the cell phone connectivity. I guess customers have spoken and Ford has changed back to replacing Sync in all their ICE and EV autos with the use of Android Auto and Apple Carplay. That I am very happy about.  I tried to find the story I wrote about the Qualcomm Android Auto system where GM and Ford along with a few others had stated in moving to this system they would protect customers data by not allowing Android Auto / Apple Carplay and would use the software API SDK to create their own software interface.  I did a quick search across the news stories but could not find that story.  Yet THANK YOU, having found the news stories on Ford CEO in December 2023 stating they will stick with the ability to use it is GREAT and I am very happy for that as I think GM is making a BIG BIG BIG mistake. Yet it is a switch that they can flip back on. Hopefully Mary and team will get their act together and turn on the support for Android Auto and Apple Carplay.
    • Ok, so I'll say something about this video. It's mostly pros:  - nice cabin; they even did the Malibu thing with the fabric on the dash - unobtrusive touch screen in terms of its placement and sensibly placed controls  - the hideous diagonal for the cubby under the center stack is gone - much nicer treatment of the rear passenger window where it meets the C-pillar - it no longer looks like a '72 Caprice  - better side profile and rear taillights - we know the 2.5 liter 4 cylinder, assuming it stays the same Neutral: - well, with the hybrid, a CVT comes onto the scene ... if it lasts at least 200,000 miles with diligent maintenance, I can't complain  Cons: - the console height between the bucket seats is a little too high for my taste - the front grille continues on as an appliance; whether in base model form or aggressively styled sporty model form.  It can very easily be "fixed" - thicken the center cross-member where the bumper supposedly is and raise it up a little from the ground.  It's still too much - less is more.
    • Why are you grouping Ford with GM here? To the best of my knowledge, Ford has not announced abandoning CarPlay or AndroidAuto.
    • Pure semantics (although Honda did, in fact, install their own form of the software) as the bigger point was made and confirmed by your post. GM screwed up six ways from Sunday by going their own way with the software side of things. ZERO background in it prior but "HEY! We're GM! Let's a proven tech and make it absolute hot garbage in form and execution". On a side note... Not four months ago, I caught absolute hell (although less so the last three months because well, you know 😎) for pointing out GMs screw ups, knowing all I had to do was sit back let GM speak for themselves and now here we are. I am not saying GM can't or won't figure this out but the next time a fanfic tells me "That was forty years ago GM", I am going to point to this and the host of other screw ups brought on by GM as my vindication lol.

• There are no registered users currently online

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search