• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

Early First Drive Confirms Various Details of 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata

181 horsepower, telescoping steering wheel...

The past months has brought some interesting rumors to light on the 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata. In March, a NHTSA document came to light that revealed the 2019 model would produce 181 horsepower from its 2.0L four-cylinder. A month later, a leaked document from a Canadian Mazda dealer confirmed the horsepower rating, along with some much wanted features such as a telescoping steering wheel.

Recently, Japanese outlet Car Watch had the chance to drive the updated 2019 MX-5 Miata for the Japanese market - called the Roadster. In their first drive report, they confirmed a number of details we have reported previously. For starters, the 2.0L has seen power boosted from 155 to 181. The engine has also see its redline increase from 6,800 to 7,500 rpm. This is due to a number of improvements for the engine including lighter pistons and a larger opening for the throttle body. Mazda has also fitted a new dual mass flywheel that will reduce vibrations coming inside, along with a new muffler. Other changes include new color choices for the exterior and interior; Smart City Brake Support, and a telescoping steering wheel.

Unsurprisingly, Mazda said that it "can't comment at this time" about if these changes will appear in the U.S. Given the amount of evidence, it would be a safe bet that we'll be seeing most, if not all appear on our MX-5 Miata in the near future.

Source: Car Watch, Road & Track

Edited by William Maley

People who love tiny 2 door coupes and convertibles should love this.

I have to say the guy looks really cramped in there and his knees are almost pushing into the dash.

8 hours ago, regfootball said:

How about a turbo 2.0

have you driven an mx-5 recently?

it really doesn't. I drove the ND club sport for about 2 days back in, march. only thing i was surprised by was how you couldn't putt up a hill in 2nd at about 10 mph.

People who love tiny 2 door coupes and convertibles should love this.

I have to say I sat in the Miata and a Corvette at a car show and surprisingly both felt about the same to me.  I am 6'1".

10 minutes ago, loki said:

have you driven an mx-5 recently?

You mean it was good or too weak? I haven't had a chance to drive one.

Even 180hp puts it at about 13 lbs/hp.  It is not super great but I guess it was never about pure power.  Still I guess it wouldn't hurt it to have a little over 200hp.

1 hour ago, ykX said:

I agree that I would think they would have a super HP version of this by now, but then in talking with coworkers who have them, it is all about the handling for rally road racing more than power for speed.

Someone once told me if they wanted handling with speed they would have bought a porsche and paid up the cost. For pure handling fun on a leisurely drive, the Miata MX5 was it. I have been told that many who own them think it is the best bang for your buck out there.

Yes, it is probably very true.

I really would love to get a weekend/autocross and maybe occasional track day car in a couple years and I am constantly going between Mustang and Miata.  I always loved how Mustang looks and it is hard to beat the sound and the power of V8, but it is big and heavy.  The small size and handling really attracts me to the Miata.  Ultimately, I would love to have both :)  , but I hardly will be able to afford only one.  First world problems ... :)

1 minute ago, ykX said:

Yes, it is probably very true.

I'd like to have both a Challenger SRT and a Miata..  both would be unpleasant around town on the potholed streets, but the Miata would be a lot of fun for the weekends on Ohio's winding, hilly back roads.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.