• Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0

    (UPDATED) Rumorpile: Apple Considers A Takeover of McLaren


    • Apple and McLaren have been in talks for a possible takeover. Wait, what?

    Update: In a statement to Mashable, a McLaren spokesperson said "We can confirm McLaren is not in discussion with Apple in respect of any potential investment," So those hoping for an Apple 570S or something else, we're going to be bursting that bubble now. 

    Update 2: Tim Bradshaw, one of the reporters behind the Apple/McLaren story has gone on Twitter saying the FT stands behind its original report. 

    Apple has eyes set on acquiring the McLaren Technology Group - the folks who brought us the F1 supercar and more recently the 570S. The Financial Times reports that Apple and McLaren have been in talks for the past few months about either a full takeover or strategic investment. Why is Apple interested in McLaren? The FT says Apple is interested in McLaren's technology and knowledge of using light-weight materials such as carbon fiber and aluminum. The deal if it goes through is likely to be valued between $1.3 billion and $1.95 billion.

    For the past few years, rumors have been swirling around of Apple building their own self-driving electric vehicle. Apple brought in engineers from various automotive companies such as Diamler and Tesla, and began work on Project Titan two years ago. But the New York Times reports that Apple has hit a few snags in this project and has decided to reset the project. Dozens of employees were laid-off and parts of the project were shuttered. The report goes on to say the Apple is now focusing on building the underlying technology for an autonomous vehicle.

    Sources tell the FT that the deal might not go through because of the change in strategy.

    Apple declined to comment when asked by Roadshow. McLaren hasn't issued a comment at this time. See Update.

    Source: Financial Times (Subscription Required), Bloomberg, New York Times, Roadshow

    0


    Sign in to follow this  
    Followers 0


    User Feedback


    Welcome Apple to the world of auto's. It is not as easy as you have had with phones, computers, etc. in building an EV auto or self driving auto.

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Financial Times says yes. McLaren says no. Apple has no comment.

     

    Sounds like a shotgun wedding..... Apply could buy McLaren with the change in its sofa cushions.

    For some perspective.... Apple has enough cash on hand to buy McLaren, Tesla, FCA, Ford, and GM in full... and still have enough left over to buy American Airlines and Delta outright....... 

    1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Interesting that with Apple having over 200 billion plus in cash, the bulk of it outside the US and with a debt of 60 billion and taking into account cost to run business and paying taxes if or when they have to bring that cash back to the US. This leaves Apple with about 100 billion to spend.

    Still allot of money on hand. Plus way more money than most countries.

    Some interesting info on this at the following two web sites:

    Forbes

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2015/07/31/apple-has-less-cash-than-people-believe/#723ba6da280c

    Telegraph.co.uk

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/businesslatestnews/10760392/Apple-and-Microsoft-have-bigger-cash-holdings-than-UK.html

    So this makes me think that this is now a hostile buyout by Apple who is struggling to find proper investments for their excess cash.

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    Financial Times says yes. McLaren says no. Apple has no comment.

     

    Sounds like a shotgun wedding..... Apply could buy McLaren with the change in its sofa cushions.

    For some perspective.... Apple has enough cash on hand to buy McLaren, Tesla, FCA, Ford, and GM in full... and still have enough left over to buy American Airlines and Delta outright....... 

    That's a lot of coin to be carrying around.. Might as well invest it!

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, dfelt said:

    Interesting that with Apple having over 200 billion plus in cash, the bulk of it outside the US and with a debt of 60 billion and taking into account cost to run business and paying taxes if or when they have to bring that cash back to the US. This leaves Apple with about 100 billion to spend.

    Still allot of money on hand. Plus way more money than most countries.

    Some interesting info on this at the following two web sites:

    Forbes

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2015/07/31/apple-has-less-cash-than-people-believe/#723ba6da280c

    Telegraph.co.uk

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/businesslatestnews/10760392/Apple-and-Microsoft-have-bigger-cash-holdings-than-UK.html

    So this makes me think that this is now a hostile buyout by Apple who is struggling to find proper investments for their excess cash.

    Securities that can be liquidated tomorrow are virtually as good as cash in this case... so yes... while it isn't a pile a greenbacks sitting on Tim Cook's desk, it is simply a call to the broker's office.

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Good point by Drew.  My first thought when I read this story was why McLaren? If Apple wanted to get into the car business they could buy anybody why not buy Mazda or a mid size company.  Apple is worth over $600 billion, compared to Ford or GM worth about $45 billion. 

    I still think Apple is better off building vehicle infotainment systems that have updatable software and liscensing it to car companies.

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Maybe Apple should buy Mercedes-Benz so you have the best phones with the best cars and then MB can change to be called

    i-Benz

    They can just come with Apple play and force everyone else to follow Apples lead. ;)

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    56 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

    Good point by Drew.  My first thought when I read this story was why McLaren? If Apple wanted to get into the car business they could buy anybody why not buy Mazda or a mid size company.  Apple is worth over $600 billion, compared to Ford or GM worth about $45 billion. 

    I still think Apple is better off building vehicle infotainment systems that have updatable software and liscensing it to car companies.

    Apple is very image conscious. If they bought anyone, they'd buy Tesla.

    Google doesn't care about image as long a the tech is there. They'd buy FCA if they thought they could squeeze some worthwhile money out of them.

    1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    i am sure Apple could buy FCA but like Drew says, image, why would Apple buy FCA as they are swirling the toilet.

    An Apple acq of Tesla would be BANG! but for the ELON MUSK factor.  Then would ELON MUCK be in charge of Apple?

    I love me some Apple stuff but i really don't want them muddling into cars.

    Prob inevtiable but still.  Fix the fricking Apple CarPlay first....remind me tell ya how buggy that is.  I'm gonna kill that Siri _____

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    Apple is very image conscious. If they bought anyone, they'd buy Tesla.

    Google doesn't care about image as long a the tech is there. They'd buy FCA if they thought they could squeeze some worthwhile money out of them.

    I would agree that Tesla makes the most sense, but if they really wanted a car company and wanted something more mass market, a Subaru or Mazda makes sense.  Those companies have more production capacity and would be cheaper to buy.

    0

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites


    Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

    Guest
    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

    ×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

      Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor




  • Popular Stories

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. stlcadet11
      stlcadet11
      (27 years old)
  • Similar Content

    • By William Maley
      We know Cadillac is planning a major product offensive beginning with the XT3 crossover next year, along with a few other products such as a seven-seat crossover and a competitor to the Audi A3 and Mercedes CLA. Automobile Magazine reports that Cadillac is planning eight all-new or redesigned models by 2022. They include,
      XT3: (Compact crossover) in 2018 CT3: (ATS Replacement) in 2018 XT7: (Seven-seat crossover that is reported to be on Omega. Other reports put say it will use the platform underpinning the redesign Buick Enclave/Chevrolet Traverse) in 2019 CT5: (Replacement for the CTS) in 2019 XT1 or XT2 (Subcompact crossover) in 2020 XT5 Redesign (Possibly going on Omega) in 2021 CT1 or CT2 (A3 and CLA fighter) in 2021 CT8: (Flagship using Omega) in 2021 All of these models are expected to use an evolutionary design theme from the Escala concept. It is still unknown whether or not the CT1/CT2 will use the Delta front-wheel drive platform or use Alpha.
      The brand is also planning investments totaling $800 million into their retail operations in the U.S.
      Source: Automobile
      Pic Credit: William Maley for Cheers and Gears

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      We know Cadillac is planning a major product offensive beginning with the XT3 crossover next year, along with a few other products such as a seven-seat crossover and a competitor to the Audi A3 and Mercedes CLA. Automobile Magazine reports that Cadillac is planning eight all-new or redesigned models by 2022. They include,
      XT3: (Compact crossover) in 2018 CT3: (ATS Replacement) in 2018 XT7: (Seven-seat crossover that is reported to be on Omega. Other reports put say it will use the platform underpinning the redesign Buick Enclave/Chevrolet Traverse) in 2019 CT5: (Replacement for the CTS) in 2019 XT1 or XT2 (Subcompact crossover) in 2020 XT5 Redesign (Possibly going on Omega) in 2021 CT1 or CT2 (A3 and CLA fighter) in 2021 CT8: (Flagship using Omega) in 2021 All of these models are expected to use an evolutionary design theme from the Escala concept. It is still unknown whether or not the CT1/CT2 will use the Delta front-wheel drive platform or use Alpha.
      The brand is also planning investments totaling $800 million into their retail operations in the U.S.
      Source: Automobile
      Pic Credit: William Maley for Cheers and Gears
    • By William Maley
      Last week, we reported on comments made by Volkswagen NA CEO Hinrich Woebcken on wanting to expand the number of crossovers in their lineup. It seems there is another crossover possible destined for the U.S.
      According to a source, Volkswagen is planning to launch the T-Roc compact crossover for the U.S. beginning in 2019. First shown as a concept back at the 2014 Geneva Motor Show, the production model will launch this summer in Europe. The decision was made by Volkswagen once dealers in the U.S. gave a firm commitment to the company they would be able to sell enough T-Rocs to make a profit. It also appears this decision was made only last week judging from a comment made by VW brand chief Herbert Diess.
      "It was only yesterday that we decided on an additional SUV for 2019," Diess told reporters when asked about product strategy for the U.S.
      There are still a number of items up in the air, however. For one, Volkswagen needs to decide where it will build the T-Roc. It could import the model from Volkswagen's Portugal plant, build it in Puebla, Mexico, or have it in the same assembly plant as the Atlas in Chattanooga, TN.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
      Pic Credit: Newspress

      View full article
  • Recent Status Updates

  • Who's Online (See full list)