Subaru is going to have a big showing for the Toyko Motor Show at the end of the month. Alongside the new BRZ Coupe, Subaru will be showing off the Advanced Tourer Concept.
The Advance Tourer Concept is an evolution of the 2009 Hybrid Tourer Concept shown at Tokyo. The concept is 180.3 In long, 72.4 In wide, and 56.3 In tall which puts the concept between the new Impreza and Legacy.
Powering the Avance Touer is a 1.6L turbocharged flat-four gasoline engine with direct-injection and a electric motor with a lithium-ion battery pack. A Lineartronic CVT transmission sends the power to the four wheels. Subaru says the car can travel on EV power alone at start-up and low-speed.
Inside, the Advance Tourer has seating for four, a large glass roof that extends to the rear liftgate, and a a large monitor built into the steering wheel that displays maps and internet services.
Press Release is on Page 2
Exhibition Outline of the 42nd Tokyo Motor Show 2011
Tokyo, November 7, 2011 - Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, announced its presentation at the 42nd Tokyo Motor Show 2011. It will focus on “Enjoyment and Peace of Mind” which is the core value provided to the customers through the Subaru automobile experience, the foundation being Subaru’s global brand statement “Confidence in Motion”.
“Confidence in Motion” is materialized in the concept car “SUBARU ADVANCED TOURER CONCEPT” which achieved its main goal to become a “Revolutionary Sports Tourer”. Also showcased will be the “All-New SUBARU IMPREZA” and the “SUBARU BRZ” – the latter a rear-wheel drive sports car currently under joint development with Toyota Motor Corporation carrying the Horizontally-Opposed Boxer engine. The exhibition will also feature Subaru’s original and latest technologies.
A press briefing by President Yasuyuki Yoshinaga is scheduled for 9:15 a.m. on November 30, 2011 at the Subaru booth.
SUBARU ADVANCED TOURER CONCEPT (Concept car)
Exquisitely balancing the enjoyment of driving with environmental friendliness, the car, under its product concept of “Revolutionary Sports Tourer”, embodies Subaru’s theme of “Confidence in Motion”.
This C-segment class car was developed as a new-generation sports wagon providing both superior driving performance and utility. It features an innovative exterior design not found in conventional wagon models and expert wagon utility Subaru has cultivated over the years.
The well established sports power unit, the Horizontally Opposed Subaru Boxer engine, is now with direct fuel injection. This highlight mixed with Subaru’s downsizing concept and original Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) expertise has enabled Subaru to make considerate progress on its unique Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive (AWD) technology. An even sportier drivability and advanced environmental friendliness are both attainable in this new concept car.
2. Design and Packaging
- Subaru’s brand statement “Confidence in Motion” is portrayed in the outward design as well. The dynamic yet sleek look promises an enthusiastic drive, while the cabin offers all the usability of a C-segment wagon.
- A flowing line on the side surfaces augments the stylish design calling to mind a coupe style car.
- In pursuit of Subaru’s human-centered philosophy, all passengers are assured a safe and pleasant ride in a comfortable and quality interior.
- An entire roof made of glass adds to the spacious feel. Various textures such as wood and metal are incorporated into the inside layout to produce ample ambiance.
- A large monitor is built into the steering wheel allowing access to maps, television and internet services. Information will be available at hand to support contemporary lifestyles even in the car.
Next-Generation Power Unit System
- Downsized direct fuel injection turbo engine -
- The downsized direct fuel injection turbo engine is one of the principal technologies that will guide Subaru’s engine strategy in the future. Not only is acceleration quick and smooth with the new-generation Horizontally-Opposed engine, it is environmentally friendly. The direct fuel injection system which injects necessary amounts of fuel into the cylinders at appropriate moments, and a turbo system which efficiently supplies large amounts of air into the cylinders, along with the downsizing of current turbo engine displacements (2,500cc and 2,000cc) to 1,600cc drastically improve combustion efficiency at practical driving-speed range compared to the existing turbo engine.
- High torque compatible Lineartronic (CVT) -
- Lineartronic is Subaru’s continuously variable transmission device designed for the new era. It is the world’s first longitudinally-mounted chain drive CVT to be utilized in mass-produced AWD passenger cars. For the concept car, the Lineartronic was refined to satisfy the high-power output turbo engine.
- Hybrid system -
- Subaru’s original hybrid system has been developed to harmonize with the Symmetrical AWD technology, another one of its specialties, and to further enhance its appeal. A single motor system was employed for its simple structure and light weight.
- This system has an Electric Vehicle (EV) mode which allows AWD motion using only the motor at start-ups and low-speed drives. When decelerating, the regenerating mechanism uses the motor as a power generator.
- EyeSight -
- Subaru’s advanced driving assist system EyeSight (Version 2), well received since its release in May 2010, has made further progress. The recognition range of the stereo camera has expanded considerably, both in width and depth.
Length x Width x Height: 4,580 x 1,840 x 1,430mm
Engine type: 1.6 liter Horizontally-Opposed direct fuel injection turbo engine
Transmission type: High torque compatible Lineartronic
Drive train: Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive with hybrid system
Battery type: Lithium-ion battery