New Malibu MaXX with 3.5l

Mom finally gave up on fixing her Taurus wagon. So I took her car shopping. She looked at a Passat wagon, Vibe, Vue, L200 and a Malibu Maxx. She was planning on a late model used but later decided to spend the extra couple grand and buy new.

So her local Chevy dealer found her an 06 Maxx LT with a couple extras, sunroof, side air bags, XM.

Very nice little car, I was very impressed with the solid feel of it.

So anyway, my reason for posting....

I'm pretty comfortable with GM's 3.1, 3.4 and 3.8 V6's. But I don't know too much about the 3.5. I'm hoping someone can enlighten me on the changes (as compared to the previously mentioned engines). Is this just an updated 3.1/3.4 or a totally new engine? Pushrods I presume? Peppy little engine!

TIA! Mike

Not understanding too much about engines, I can just safely tell you it's a 3.5L V6, pushrod engine, with Variable Valve Timing. It's a 60-degree V6, not related to the 3800 in any way (as that's a 90-degree V6). Now I'll let the people here teach both you, and myself, the other details of the engine :)

Thanks for the info guys!

So the GM documentation, says it's derived from the 3.1/3.4 engines. I know they have a history of intake gasket failure around the 70-90K mile mark. Probably too soon to tell on this one since it's only been out a couple years but anyone know if that little quirk exists on the 3.5 as well?

I'm wanting to drive it now, see how the electronic throttle feels. No throttle cable anymore huh. Not sure how I feel about that. ;)

Too bad she didn't get an 07 then, I guess that's going to the Variable Valves?

Again, thanks!

Mike

Electronic Throttle is good, the wife's cobalt has it. As far as the 3.5, it is the same family of engines that brought GM the 2.8, 3.1, and 3.4. There aren't supposed to be anymore intake manifold failures (actually its the acid-based properties of the antifreeze combined with it coming into contact with RTV), due to a redesigned intake manifold and gasket combination.

Mike,

I have a G6 with the 3.5 and about 9,000 miles on it now. The car has performed flawlessly and my wife, who is the primary driver, has no problems with the throttle or electronic steering (she notices no difference). We get about 24 mpg around town (some highway/some stop and go traffic) with the 3.5.

I just bought a Malibu MAXX SS with the 3900, nearing 1,000 miles and it has also been a great drive so far. The whole look of the MAXX and the utility of the hatchback and adjustable rear seats makes it a great useable car.

I'd say the MAXX is a great choice

Mike,

I bought a new 2004 Malibu LT Sedan with the 3.5L V6 back in November of 2003. To date I have not had one complaint or warranty issue with the engine - as of my drive in to work today, the car has 38,809 miles on it. I average about 26.1 MPG with a mix of interstate highway and around town driving. The pickup and passing power are still great and I have not been disappointed with this engine (I've owned GM vehicles with the 3.1 and 3.4 V6 engines before too). I have changed the oil between 3,500 & 4,000 mile intervals (usually when the Oil Life Monitor gets to around 50%).

Again, there have been no warranty issues with the engine. What did I have warranty issues with? Electric Steering (actually a voluntary recall on the very early models), one of the two horns shorted out, brakes warping way too early (26,000 miles), driver's seat frame broke (where it mounts to the floor), and the relay in the trunk that acutates the trunk release button (on the key fob and on the door panel) had to be replaced. I will say that the Bridgestone Insignia tires on mine are pure crap - I noticed around 35,000 miles that they were already wearing out; what sucks is I have them rotated every other oil change. It seems as a lot of Malibu & MAXX owners have changed over to Goodyear Assurance ComforTred tires and are not only happy with them, but noticed an improvement in ride, handling & performance with the car. I'm a teacher so when I return to work in Septemeber is when I plan to replace mine with these Goodyears.

If you have any other questions about the Malibu, I'll be happy to answer them.

Again, thanks for all the comments!

I think it will be a great little car for her and she won't have to worry about more repairs on the Taurus. I'll tell you what impressed me most about the Maxx. The rear seat legroom is AMAZING! Probably twice the legroom of my Roadmaster! And it's half the size. <_< And of course the sliding rear seats are just 8)

And I'm glad to hear that GM fixed that gasket problem. My partner has an 03 Century with the 3.1. It'll turn 100K in a month or two so I just had the oil tested. No signs of coolant in the oil! So maybe the implemented the fix for the 03's? Or I'm just lucky. 8)

Mike

Again, thanks for all the comments!

I think it will be a great little car for her and she won't have to worry about more repairs on the Taurus.  I'll tell you what impressed me most about the Maxx.  The rear seat legroom is AMAZING!  Probably twice the legroom of my Roadmaster!  And it's half the size.  <_<   And of course the sliding rear seats are just  8)

And I'm glad to hear that GM fixed that gasket problem.  My partner has an 03 Century with the 3.1.  It'll turn 100K in a month or two so I just had the oil tested.  No signs of coolant in the oil!  So maybe the implemented the fix for the 03's?  Or I'm just lucky.   8)

Mike

174418[/snapback]

You might be okay, i'm not sure, let me look around and i'll try and get back to you.

Excellent, another Century owner! :lol:

edit - ugh...just checked, i'm sorry man..

it's apparently the 2000-2003 Buck Century's

As long as you have warranty, it should be okay. Hopefully it'll happen sooner than later.

Edited by Mike The Canadian