Fall 2006 Carlisle

Hudson, I was going to say the same thing! Because the AACA Fall Show is in Hershey from Wednesday, October 4th until Saturday, October 7th. And many of the vendors that attend the Carlisle show head up to Hershey the following week.

I have never attended the Carlisle Fall show, but this year I think I might on Saturday, September 30th since I've missed out on so many other shows this summer (I feel like a car-nut failure!).

...I've missed out on so many other shows this summer (I feel like a car-nut failure!).

Heh ... you're not the only one.

I've only attended a couple car-related events this year ... neither of 'em in my home state.

The first was the MC Nationals in TN; the second was the car show in PA that Oldsmoboi, a couple others, and I attended when I was in PA in August....

Wish I had the vacation time to come to Carlisle.....

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"A little vacation, ain't asking very much" ... Tim McGraw ... 'All I Want Is A Life'

• 3 weeks later...

Aww, I'm sorry, Camino. I was looking for you today, and your cars.

It sprinkled a bit here close to home, then on the way it became mostly cloudy with peeks of sun. I carried my umbrella, and I ended up needing it, it set in sprinkling pretty heavy, just enough to require the bumbershoot. I walked around for 3 hours, saw some brave souls and a lot of nice old cars, then I decided it was going to continue raining, so I left the fairgrounds. Of course, as soon as I did, the sun came out. <_<

The GM Restoration Parts tent had one of those Dynacorn '69 Camaro convertible bodies on display... I didn't know GM gave such a blessing to this project. I also went into a different tent (different company) with a new, complete '57 Chevy convertible body on a rolling chassis, available for sale. I overheard the salesdude tell another patron their company is going to make many more copies of bodies for sale in the future.

I am going to try to make it up to Hershey next weekend, if the weather holds.

ocnblu, I went to Hershey last year event though it rained all day. It's the only time I really recall it raining on a Saturday at the Hershey show (plenty of memories of mud from rain before the Saturday visit). While not the greatest day spent at the Hersehy show, there were still vendors there and plenty of cars on display - mostly in the car coral and auction areas. Still, I couldn't bear not to attend this show - it's the only one I haven't missed EVERY year since 1989. So I'll keep my fingers crossed that Saturday's weather is nice. I can't wait to see the Futurliner!!!

I had to cancel my plans for this show/auction. My Dad's condition worsened over the last two weeks and I need to be here and available at all times.

Arg ... sorry about this, bud. Thoughts/prayers coming your way.....Lookin' forward to pics of the event!Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemakerMC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html"We got mountains to climb" ... Rod Stewart ... 'Broken Arrow'

I really wish I could have been there, sorry to have missed you OCN.

This auction was my "ace in the hole" to get a couple of cars sold so I'll have to get really creative about raising money now. But, family comes first and I'll find a way to manage.

On a lighter note, I really miss getting to the local/semi-local car shows I enjoy so much. I have missed way too many over the last few years. So, I'm going to do my best to make the next big local show. It is the yearly finale of the Pennsylvania Historic Car Club show at Delaware County Community College. Huge show with cars of all makes, models and vintages along with many vendors.

Best of all it's just a few miles down the road so I have no conflict about attending.

Camino, isn't that college in Doylestown? If yes, what's the date of that show? I'm probably 45-60 minutes away from there and would like to attend if possible. I too have missed out on many shows the past 2-3 years and find myself making a pact (with myself!) that 2007 will be a return to my hobby roots! And I'd like to take the SKY to whatever shows will allow me to enter it, at least that way I know I'll get to enjoy it a little more (only put 957 miles on it since I got it back at the end of April). TIA!

Sorry Hudson, I'll be there on Saturday only.

For years now I've wanted to make it a two-day event, but I think getting a hotel room IN Hershey would take a miracle from Jesus! Not only that, one of the duties of my job didn't allow me to be away from work (being a class advisor means October is homecoming time). I'm no longer a class advsor, so that issue doesn;t exist anymore. However, this year I'm taking three days off a week and a half after the Hershey show to take the family to Florida, plus I have some conferences to attend - so there will be plenty of absences from work in October for me.

And of all years to be there for two days - the Futurliner will be there and I can imagine the crowd it will generate on Saturday. I plan on leaving my house by 4:00 AM to make the 2-hour trek there ealry enough to see the Futurliner before the crowd mobs it. Of course I'll stay as late as possible to see it and get some decent pictures if that plan doesn't work out.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Here's a link to a pdf file of the map of the show at Hershey: Link

Weather report from www.weather.com for the Hershey region on Saturday:

Sat, Oct 7

Few Showers High 61°F

Precip 30%

Wind: NNE 10 mph

Max. Humidity: 66%

UV Index: 5 Moderate

Sunrise: 7:09 AM ET

Avg. High: 66°F

Record High: 82°F (1990)

Partly Cloudy Overnight Low 49°F

Precip 20%

Wind: NNE 3 mph

Max. Humidity: 79%

Sunset: 6:39 PM ET

Avg. Low: 43°F

Record Low: 31°F (1965)

Last Updated Wednesday, Oct 4, 3:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time

If anyone wants to meet up with me on Saturday, PM me for my cell #.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Well, one PM so far (:cheers:Oldsmoboi). Here's a great idea... maybe all of those going on Saturday can meet up for dinner? There's a Red Robin, Applebee's, and of course the Bear's Den in the Hershey Lodge to choose from, in addition to the restaurant in the Hershey Visitors Center. I think it would be great to start a C&G AACA Fall Show tradition. It's so large, and I'm usually all over the place, it may be hard for me to meet people during the day. But if we set a meeting place towards the end of the day at the show, then go from there to where ever we want to eat, might work out better. Anyone interested in this idea? Ocnblu, Hudson, Balthazar, Camino???

Btw, I go to this show no matter what (rain, mud, shine)... so I'm up to meeting who ever goes too :)

Balthazar, from my experiences most vendors have packed up by late Saturday afternoon and are gone.  So I'd say do your trip Friday/Saturday instead.  FYI - the show runs from Wednesday, October 4 thru Saturday, October 7.

Yeah, I've been to Hershey the last 3 years- they start packing up after lunch Saturday, but I've still walked the entire day; you know how many vendors there are- plenty to see.

I would love to go Friday but I can't get off work (I may find out differently tomorrow....)

About 4-5 years ago, the AACA added a day to the show (Wednesday) so now vendors start to leave early on Saturday. I can remember the times when I'd get there at 8:00 AM and be able to walk through all the vendor areas (they started packing up around 3-4 PM). Nowadays, I can't get it all done in one day, but have a hard time either getting off from work on Friday or can't get a hotel room anywhere close to the park.

You're absolutely right Balthazar - there's still plenty of people around come late afternoon. But to see the really good vendors, you have to start really early. This year I plan to be on the PA Turnpike by 4:00 AM so that I can get to Hershey about 2 hours later. I want to start bright and early - especially if there's any rain (vendors start packing up earlier when it rains :angry: ).

Again, everyone - let me know if you are interested in the dinner concept.

Definately interested in the dinner. I'm going to be traveling with a Buick freak friend of mine <chas is staying home> and we'll be staying in Harrisburgh with Chas's brother. We're leaving Pittsburgh around 2am because he works nights, we expect to get to hershey around 6am.

We're taking his '94 Roadmaster wagon he picked up at the Goodwill Auto Auction for $900 with 40k miles on it.

Okay, let's see who we have so far dinner Saturday:

1. GMTruckGuy74 (me)

2. Oldsmoboi

3. Oldmoboi's friend

???

???

???

???

Come on everybody and join us. Ocnblu - are you up to it? Anyone else?

It's too late now, but I should have bought a C&G shirt or something to have worn to identify myself. But I'll more than likely be wearing my black GMC hat, so that will be a dead givaway. Let's pick a place to eat at and a meeting place & time too.

Places:

- Hershey Chocolate World (visitor's center) KIT KAT “GIMME A BREAK” Café

- Red Robin

- Applebee's

- Bear's Den (Hershey Lodge)

- ? other suggestions ?

Time:

- 4:00 PM

- 4:30 PM

- 5:00 PM

Hmmm... Saturday dinner. What are the show hours? It is more likely to rain in the a.m., according to the weather report, but I don't want to miss too many cars leaving for home. If I get there in the early a.m., will I be ready to go home before dinner time?

I can't promise to stay until dinner time, but I am looking forward to at least meeting up with you guys and cruising the show early in the day.