Hummer or Smart

Posted Image

Behemoth vs. Barbie Car: We hope our automotive future lies somewhere in between
BOB GRITZINGER
Posted Date: 9/16/05
When comparing distant ends of the automotive universe, it is hard to get further apart than the humongous Hummer H1 Alpha and the diminutive Smart ForTwo. If your neighborhood resembles southern Iraq you may want to opt for the H1, but if you are a commuter worrying about fuel prices nudging past $3 a gallon, the ForTwo starts looking darn intelligent.

After spending a few days buzzing around in the latest H1, the 2006 model done up in Alpha trim, followed by a similar stint in a not-for-U.S.-sale ForTwo we borrowed from a local auto supplier, it is safe to say neither vehicle is ready for prime time on America’s roadways. The Smart’s 53-inch track feels way too small on freeways clogged with big sport/utility vehicles and pickup trucks, while the Hummer’s 72-inch track will barely fit in a single traffic lane. The Smart is a practical package, but limit your passengers to two unless someone wants to ride in the cargo area. (Shades of the Beetle “back-back” of old?) H1, for all its monstrous footprint, still seats only four, but you could probably carry a small rowboat or a canoe down the center space between the seats.

As much as the two vehicles differ in proportion and practicality, the pair share one undeniable core attribute: curb appeal. Drive the nearly four-ton Hummer—with its diamond-plate accents and oversized 37-inch tires—down any road in America and you will turn more than a few heads. Want to turn even more? Drive the same streets in the bug-like ForTwo—with the top rolled back for extra effect if you think you need it. You won’t.

You will feel the most pronounced difference when you roll up to the neighborhood diesel fuel pump. While the H1 gulps down 29.5 gallons in its main tank (and another 22 gallons in the reserve), the ForTwo’s total capacity (including a 1.3-gallon reserve tank) is a mere 7.1 gallons.

There’s a difference you can take to the bank.

(AutoWeek)

Hmmm...if I had to choose between the two, I'd go for the Smart...the Hummer is beyond stupid. The Smart would be a great commuter car, but for an all-around car, I'd probably need something larger that seats 4..

The Smart ForFour is enough car to fit the needs of 75% of Americans.  Too bad they'd never buy it.

[post="16100"][/post]

Screw that. Don;t go preaching your Communist propaganda here. I'd like THIS for a daily driver: :P

Posted Image

Of course I was being serious. What would even make you THINK I was joking??? :ph34r:

Here's another "midsize" Caddy I'd love to have for a daily driver.
I'm not as much into height as I am into L E N G T H and w i d t h. Hence my love for BOF land Yachts. B)

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

Buy a Hummer and put the Smart in the hatch as a spare!

[post="15199"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Better yet, use the little crap box as a deceleration assistance device. When traveling faster than the brakes can handle, simply toss the cute little box of bolts out the window, with a chain secured to the strongest structural member (probably the radio knob) and allow the frictional forces to assist in stopping. Edited by goblue1999

Hmmm...if I had to choose between the two, I'd go for the Smart...the Hummer is beyond stupid.  The Smart would be a great commuter car, but for an all-around car, I'd probably need something larger that seats 4..

[post="16092"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yup, the Hummer is beyond stupid....that is, until the EMTs are scraping the remains of your little $hit box off its undercarriage. Go ahead and drive the diminutive one, the gas you save I will gladly consume in my boat, which could also use your car as an anchor. At least we won't have to worry about your family tree sprouting any branches, you won't live to procreate.

My buddy John drives a 1984 Cadillac F.B. six door, 9 passanger Funeral Coach about 40% of the time... on the weekends it's his band's tour vehicle. (Blues Guitar Band) He hates Vans, Mini Vans & SUVs and dislikes most station wagons so he went out and bought this limo for short change. $3000 IIRC.

Looks like this except it's a 80s Fleetwood Brougham not a 70s Deville.

Posted Image

Ahh... this is more like it but his is "black on black on black".

Posted Image

Yup, the Hummer is beyond stupid....that is, until the EMTs are scraping the remains of your little $hit box off its undercarriage.  Go ahead and drive the diminutive one, the gas you save I will gladly consume in my boat, which could also use your car as an anchor.  At least we won't have to worry about your family tree sprouting any branches, you won't live to procreate.

Sounds like you have serious attitude issues...