Buick Lacrosse Review

Mike The Canadian

Blah. Not sure what to say. Review started negative, ended negative... SSDD. Although I'm not as big a fan of the LaCrosse as I was when it first came out, I wouldn't exactly say it's as bad as most reviewers find it. It does its job well.

The problem is that many customers don't like Buick either. Buick has an older customer base and they are disappearing. They have got to get the attention of a relatively younger buyer or they will wither away. Buick needs to be cool again. It isn't right now. Perfectly good vehicles, but so are a lot of makes...Buick needs to get on the radar screen for potential buyers. First, a revolution in how they market/advertise their cars....second, sexier, more appealing designs...more 'Buick'.

What I actually meant about people not liking Buick is that so many really don't know about Buick in the right way.

Buick kind of lost their mojo in the '70s.... in the 50s and 60s, they had a bold, brash luxury style that was different than Cadillac style and definitely different than Olds... the '50s Roadmasters, the '60s Wildcats and Electras, the first through third generation Rivieras exemplified that , IMHO...

But by the late '70s and pretty much up to today, Buicks by and large have pretty largely indistinguishable from their Chevy, Pontiac, and Olds platform mates--really only the grilles and taillights differed, nothing substantial.... (a few cars stood out, like the Grand Nationals, GNX, Reatta, the Rivieras, but otherwise....) Edited by moltar

Funny statistic that I heard on the news a few days ago... about 1 in 5 cars are bought by those 60 yrs or older (17%). They went on to say that the percentage will only increase as the Boomer demographic moves further into retirement years. They reiterated that Gen X and the Millennials are smaller generations/demographics than the Boomers. Another Statistic that I found indicated that almost half of the US population is 45 yrs old or older (49%). So, I really don’t think Buick will wither away if they can continue to attract the 45-75 year olds. Buick needs to continue to update their image and vehicles to attract what the mature premium buyer wants but in no way needs to worry about 17 year olds liking their cars.

Funny statistic that I heard on the news a few days ago... about 1 in 5 cars are bought by those 60 yrs or older (17%). They went on to say that the percentage will only increase as the Boomer demographic moves further into retirement years. They reiterated that Gen X and the Millennials are smaller generations/demographics than the Boomers.

Another Statistic that I found indicated that almost half of the US population is 45 yrs old or older (49%).

So, I really don’t think Buick will wither away if they can continue to attract the 45-75 year olds. Buick needs to continue to update their image and vehicles to attract what the mature premium buyer wants but in no way needs to worry about 17 year olds liking their cars.

One thing working against Buick as far as those numbers go, though, is that the Boomers are the generation that first embraced imports broadly...are people that have been driving Japanese and German for 25 years or more going to go Buick? Edited by moltar

Moltar, I completely agree, and that's exactly what GM is trying to do with Buick... lower Buick's age demographic to the Baby Boomer generation... not to Gen X or Y. But, even then, which Baby Boomers that you're going to target? a ) The 20 year Camry & Accord buyer (typical Asian import buyer) or b ) The 20 year BMW & Mercedes buyer? (typical German import buyer) Buick is going for the 20 year Camry & Accord shoppers that are content with what Toyota & Honda have traditionally offered but now want something more... Acura's new direction doesn't really take the 20 year Accord buyer into account. Neither does L-Finesse for the 20 year Camry buyer (only the current ES really does this... which will soon be replaced). Both Acura & Lexus are targeting younger buyers (Gen X in particular) not Baby Boomers. This is an excellent opportunity for Buick to offer exactly what Baby Boomers have been use to for years while adding more style and other Buick qualities into the mix. The LaCrosse & Lucerne really do live up to that expectation.