Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

My Grandma Goes To The Dark Side

Cory Wolfe

No, not the one with the Cobalt, but the one with the 2000 Malibu. While it was a pleasant car, her's wasn't the most reliable. So after 4 or so years of having it, she has traded it for a new car... her first since 97. So what does she get?

Posted Image

That's right, a black 2006 Hyundai Elantra (her's not pictured). Not only did so go Korean, she got a black Korean. This is a changer for her since she's always had GM vehicles and always had lighter colors. As you guys would say, she has successfully moved to the dark side... literally. :P

I'm going to drive it and get some pics sometime this week/weekend.

That's nice. I am not a big fan of imports but I do like Hyundais. I appreciate them for the effort they went to to become what they are instead of what they were in the 90s. Hyundai deserves more appreciation than it gets. The cars are excellent quality and extremely reliable. I really like the new Santa Fe and Veracruz.

This Hyundia/Kia situation it something that I have made many posts regarding. These are not only a threat to new sales but the total package is inviting enough to draw mid price used buyers away from one owner cars and 4+- year old Domestics are the most threatened by this. Reads: poor residual values, lots of cars sitting and sitting on the used lots, low loan rates, ect. ect. ect

the sky is falling and truth be told, we can not blame buyers like your Grandmother for their decisions.

Eh...I'd at least have waited for the new 2007 Elantra which a much better car in damn near every way.

209261[/snapback]

Except maybe looks.

I don't care for the Elantra, personally I bet a `93-97 Prizm is more refined...but I dunno. Still if it's reliable than good for her...that warrenty will come in handy.

That generation Elantra is a piece of $h!, so sorry for your grandmother. The engine is buzzy and irritating, the radio sucks, the A/C sucks, the fuel economy isn't anything special, and the transmission whines like a little bitch. Its also extrodinarily uncomfortable after 30 minutes of driving. Plus, the entire car is very, very tinny. Slam the trunk and tell me you don't think the bumper is going to fall off.

My Elantra was a blue '05 rental with 10k miles. It was also - until the Murano - the first rental car I had to return because it stalled out my third day of driving it for reasons unknown.

My Elantra was a blue '05 rental with 10k miles. It was also - until the Murano - the first rental car I had to return because it stalled out my third day of driving it for reasons unknown.

209446[/snapback]

I don't think it is fair to use a rental car as an example...especially after all the GM rental cars I have driven that were utter pieces of crap with less than 10k on them.

I don't think it is fair to use a rental car as an example...especially after all the GM rental cars I have driven that were utter pieces of crap with less than 10k on them.

209497[/snapback]

I had an Alero, in fact 3 different ones that were in the 60-80,000 mile range and they were tight impressive cars for base models.........so ? :stupid:

I also rented a early 90's Grand Am, the really doggy lookin one with the prezel face. That was an excellent drive and ride..............so ? :stupid:

I know someone, just talked to him recently infact, that has spent a great deal of time in rental W bodies.......he says someday hes going to buy one.........so ? :stupid:

I had an Alero, in fact 3 different ones that were in the 60-80,000 mile range and they were tight impressive cars for base models.........so ?  :stupid:

I also rented a early 90's Grand Am, the really doggy lookin one with the prezel face. That was an excellent drive and ride..............so ?  :stupid:

I know someone, just talked to him recently infact, that has spent a great deal of time in rental W bodies.......he says someday hes going to buy one.........so ?  :stupid:

209501[/snapback]

:lol:

We must have different definitions of what "tight and impressive" and "excellent drive and rides" are then...

Sorry, but when I'm in a car with under 10k on the odo and all the cheap flimsy plastic is creaking everywhere around me, the fuel gauge goes up and down randomly, the front end feels like it is going to fall out, and it shakes when doing low speed turning and parking maneuvers, nothing closes solidly with the sound of excess rattles, parts inside the car not working properly, (I could go on)...that just doesn't do it for me. Granted, a recent CTS I was in wasn't all that horrible, but it wasn't that great either.

I wasn't directly saying GM vehicles are crap...I'm saying all rental cars for the most part are crap. They often get the $h! beat out of them and are heavily abused during their life as a rental car. On occasion you may find something decent (almost like the cts). Though, after going through rental processes I can understand where GM gets their quality issue criticism from (regarding the materials used in the car...but that's another story)...

209497[/snapback]

I didn't comment about any long-term quality or durability issues, just basic aspects of any Elantra, unless Hyundai chooses a special, annoying engine and extra thin sheetmetal for their fleeters.

Stalling at a hair over 10k is also just bad.

All the cars I mentioned did not rattle, the front ends certainly did not "feel like they were falling out".......... :rolleyes:, the fuel gauges were stable, "shaked while doing low speed turns in parking lots :blink: " ohkay duhkay !

What car is it you have again ? Oh well must be nice. :pbjtime: Still dont think the extremes you purpose are honest, nor would I expect a $12,000 rental car to have "noncheap" BMW quality plastics to satisfy the privileged.

It seems all this plastic wrapping we have inside cars the past 30 years has done nothing but harm. Its the continous center of attention, plastic this.........plastic that...........and I think back to a more simple time

Well, Viper sent me a PM last night. He was too embarrassed to post this, so I told him I would, as a pubic service.

It seems his grandmother cannot get comfortable in her new car. The steering wheel doesn't adjust properly. She likes to emulate Formula One drivers on her way to the grocery store, and she cannot do it with the Elantra. Also, her right boob gets caught in the tiny cupholder in the console.

So now she's all upset about it and she's thinking of joining an Elantra internet forum so she can focus like a laser on these extremely major issues. She is even thinking of writing a letter to Mr. Hyundai in Korea about it, along with some polaroids of her, uncomfortable in the car.

There, is that everything you wanted me to say, Vipes?

Well, Viper sent me a PM last night.  He was too embarrassed to post this, so I told him I would, as a pubic service. 

It seems his grandmother cannot get comfortable in her new car.  The steering wheel doesn't adjust properly.  She likes to emulate Formula One drivers on her way to the grocery store, and she cannot do it with the Elantra.  Also, her right boob gets caught in the tiny cupholder in the console.

So now she's all upset about it and she's thinking of joining an Elantra internet forum so she can focus like a laser on these extremely major issues.  She is even thinking of writing a letter to Mr. Hyundai in Korea about it, along with some polaroids of her, uncomfortable in the car.

There, is that everything you wanted me to say, Vipes?

209676[/snapback]

No big surprise......here.............

lets boogie !............. :pbjtime:

:thumbsup:

All the cars I mentioned did not rattle, the front ends certainly did not "feel like they were falling out".......... :rolleyes:, the fuel gauges were stable, "shaked while doing low speed turns in parking lots  :blink: "  ohkay duhkay !

What car is it you have again ? Oh well must be nice.  :pbjtime: Still dont think the extremes you purpose are honest, nor would I expect a $12,000 rental car to have "noncheap" BMW quality plastics to satisfy the privileged.

It seems all this plastic wrapping we have inside cars the past 30 years has done nothing but harm. Its the continous center of attention, plastic this.........plastic that...........and I think back to a more simple time

209661[/snapback]

Dude, what's your deal? Why is it so hard to believe that the rental cars I have driven are junk? The only reason you're getting all defensive is because I struck a nerve when I mentioned they were GM vehicles. If they were anything else you wouldn't pass judgment (and don't even bother trying to justify yourself out of that one). While in Hawaii, my family had a Chevy Uplander, and it met pretty much all of the "qualities" I described including the weird front end issues. I don't even know why I am arguing this with you.

BTW, my family has owned GM vehicles in the past...We had a Suburban up until a year ago, and I even drove a silverado up until about a year ago when I got my car. Both vehicles had well over 150k. They were great vehicles too and we never experienced any issues with them. I'm not comparing the rental cars to my car in any way.

Call me a liar all you want. It just makes you look stupid and shows how ignorant you are. When you get right down to it, the fact of the matter is you weren't there...unless...were you there?! Then please, give me a breakdown of how our rental car process went during our stay in Maui, and please...tell me what really happened. I'd be most interested to hear the "truth".

:rolleyes:

Dude, what's your deal?

209709[/snapback]

Still dont think the extremes you purpose are honest

Thats all, doesnt correlate with my experience.

Of course I show concern due to the GM connection, thats a given. However if someone came around and said another quality car was already shakey by 10,000 miles, thought I may say nothing I would still walk aways thinking......."really ?"

I guess you also have to factor in that in Hawaii, pretty much all the cars you see are rental cars. I mean, I was surprised at how the car was acting with such little miles as well, especially because Maui's main roads for the most part don't put that much stress on a car. But who knows how previous drivers treated the car. It was possibly the worst rental car I have driven mostly associated with how previous drivers treated it I would assume. I'm not necessarily blaming the car for being so $h!ty. One of the best cars I have driven as a rental (other than a dealer supplied 325i which wasn't bad) was a Lincoln LS. That was actually pretty nice. It had a fair amount of miles on it and it still felt good.

Maybe lots of pot holes and poor mechanics. Maybe cheap tires. Are there obscure places tourists can take cars to site see ? We have some bad roads around here but it still takes over 10,000 abused miles on an already used car to see results through suspension and rattling.

My 200,000 mile A body is a good example of a rather cheap feeling car but I manage to keep it fairly tight. Jump in a 300,000 mile C/H body and its still day and night. That old C/H body always has a quality feel. Though not the most rigid of large unibodies.

That car is a real looker. I can just see collectors fighting over one in pristine condition thirty years from now to park it next to their 1974 Citreon SM, '59 Eldorado and '69 Camaro. LOL!