Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

So... Thinking about navy or air force

Newbiewar

well... I've had this combing my brain now for about 4-5 months... and its really starting to cause a trouble...

my trouble is... i am one of the smartest guys i know... i know more science, physics, math, automotive(not more then u guys but) then almost anyone i know my age or older... but i cant find a way to apply myself and get paid at the same time...

and ive always admired people who accomplish some sort of armed training...

but if im 21 now... and when i get through all that i'd be at least 25... and id still be in the same boat...

what should i do... anyone have pros or cons for me to consider?

Well, it's up to you. If you know you're ready to commit yourself, do it. If you're iffy even in the slightest, I wouldn't do it.

However, people tend to be more serious (stereotypically of course) once they leave some type of military branch and maybe that could work to your advantage.. Have you ever taken college courses?

Go to Cal Poly Pomona, and get through the Mechanical Engineering program (without taking the cop-out, easy teachers/classes).  You get an internship while you go to school.

211665[/snapback]

i cant afford it... i've racked up enough dept so im forced to be making at least 2k and your average full time or overtime barely covers that...

i love to learn... my parents are teachers... but i cant put in 40-50 hours a week and still goto college full time... there just isnt enough time in the day...

Have you looked into financial aid (grants, scholarships, not loans)? Cal Poly is relatively cheap, costing around $3000 a year when I was going there. A good summer internship might be able to cover a year's worth of schooling, and you can take a part-time job during the school year just for pocket change.

Have you looked into financial aid (grants, scholarships, not loans)?  Cal Poly is relatively cheap, costing around $3000 a year when I was going there.  A good summer internship might be able to cover a year's worth of schooling, and you can take a part-time job during the school year just for pocket change.

211681[/snapback]

college costs are covered by my parents... i just have over 25k in loans already... and a morgage and retirement accounts set up giving me a really high fixed expenses...

there is always junior college for the first two years while you save up money to go to a state college.... JC's are going to get cheaper here in the new year I believe in California. Even getting your AA is better then not having one at all. Plus you can get JC classes at night.

It's not impossible to not work and go to school at the same time. Since you are selling cars now, maybe you could work out a schedule where you can work when you are not in class, and if you really are sharp, you can get by without a lot of study time.

hmmm....if you have a mortgage you must have a home, right? sell it would be my best advice to get started, if that's what you have the mortgage for.

I don't know enough about your situation to offer educated advice. As a salesman, you're probably making good money. The question is can you see yourself doing it for long. I'm sure the answer already exists in the purpose of this thread, so the question is can you see yourself doing something you don't like, maybe not even selling cars, for the rest of your life. I say give up now on a lot, so that you can have big triumphs later.

well... I've had this combing my brain now for about 4-5 months... and its really starting to cause a trouble...

my trouble is... i am one of the smartest guys i know... i know more science,  physics, math, automotive(not more then u guys but) then almost anyone i know my age or older... but i cant find a way to apply myself and get paid at the same time...

and ive always admired people who accomplish some sort of armed training...

but if im 21 now... and when i get through all that i'd be at least 25... and id still be in the same boat...

what should i do... anyone have pros or cons for me to consider?

211658[/snapback]

You wouldn't necessarily be in the same boat. In fact, you'd have a good chance at setting yourself up for a good education while serving. The GI Bill is available and there is a lot of tuition assistance for those in the armed services as well.

You'd also get a chance to learn a useful trade and one that you can use give yourself a kickstart after leaving the service.

My suggestion is for you to talk to a recruiter and have them give you documents on what is available to you for education and career fields. Tell them straight out you want time to think about it.

You can also check out information at www.airforce.com and I am sure the navy has a similar site that can give you a lot of information.

After gathering your facts, think hard. I personally think it is a good thing for people to serve their country and it provides a chance to learn a lot but I know that it is not for everyone. You alone can decide if it will help you go where you want to go.

BTW, I am an Air Force reservists that works civil service and trains other reservists. So, I know how imprtant it can be for people to check out the service carefully and make a decision that is right for them.

Whatever you do decide, good luck.

You wouldn't necessarily be in the same boat. In fact, you'd have a good chance at setting yourself up for a good education while serving. The GI Bill is available and there is a lot of tuition assistance for those in the armed services as well.

You'd also get a chance to learn a useful trade and one that you can use give yourself a kickstart after leaving the service.

My suggestion is for you to talk to a recruiter and have them give you documents on what is available to you for education and career fields. Tell them straight out you want time to think about it.

You can also check out information at www.airforce.com and I am sure the navy has a similar site that can give you a lot of information.

After gathering your facts, think hard. I personally think it is a good thing for people to serve their country and it provides a chance to learn a lot but I know that it is not for everyone. You alone can decide if it will help you go where you want to go.

BTW, I am an Air Force reservists that works civil service and trains other reservists. So, I know how imprtant it can be for people to check out the service carefully and make a decision that is right for them.

Whatever you do decide, good luck.

211930[/snapback]

well I signed up for the amry... hopefuly I picked a good job.. and I got a sizable sign on bonus...

took my asvap and got myself a 96... :(

Good luck with it, Newbie. I presume this means you won't be selling cars any longer?

212018[/snapback]

yeaa... I won't be selling anything any more...

hopefully everything wil be cool ill keep you guys updated on how my training goes... cause I'm sure it'll whip me into shape...

*sigh*

Good luck and Be very Proud of what you are doing.

You do feel great about what you do.

I dont have the time to go into what i will later but rember dont volunteer for anything.

Ex. "If you can drive raise your hand" then after the couple suckers think they get to drive the humvee the serg says "good you can drive these wheel borrows around, get to it"

I was one of those suckers learned real quick.

*sigh*

Good luck and Be very Proud of what you are doing.

You do feel great about what you do.

I dont have the time to go into what i will later but rember dont volunteer for anything.

Ex. "If you can drive raise your hand" then after the couple suckers think they get to drive the humvee the serg says "good you can drive these wheel borrows around, get to it"

I was one of those suckers learned real quick.

213671[/snapback]

yea my old boss became a trucker in the army durring viatnam that way...

started with a wheel barrel... then upgraded... and made a profession out of truck driving... now is a happy millionaire....

• 1 month later...

So how do you like it so far?

so far its awesome... getting to do some things that civilians would never get to do or see...

firing m16's and going through a gas chamber... combat training... repelling down a 50 ft wall with just a rope... we are trained to kill... its kinda frightening if you really think about it... but so far no regrets...

• 2 weeks later...

The M16A3 (or A4) combat rifle is a good weapon, just keep it clean and it'll provide you with a long time of service. I'm working on getting my weight down and I'm going to join the Army as a 63-Bravo (light-wheeled vehicle mechanic), after that I'll probably make it a living, I've always wanted to join the military, just have had to get my weight down to "normal" standards, which I'm working on right now, its a slow go, but its always easier to add than it is to subtract.

I hear you, 76.

I missed this thread when it was originally posted so instead of telling you to go with the Navy like I would have if the military allowed asmatic, single kidney freaks to join. :lol: Too much of a liability, apparently. Anyway, good luck and enjoy your time. A big thanks for serving.

getting to do some things that civilians would never get to do or see...

To bad I'm scared for life now. Sometimes I regret it other times I want to go back.