Buick Wants to Bring in the Black Guys

Variance

• 2 weeks later...

The funny thing is that I saw a LaCrosse in the street that looked exactly like that except I honestly think that the wheels were a bit bigger.

I'm waiting for all the racial allegations that ignore the fact that this is a factual statement.

In any case, this adds more evidence to my case that Steve Shannon steals my ideas...

Posted Image

Posted Image

214351[/snapback]

What about the white guys who act black?!  :lol:

214898[/snapback]

I'm a white guy who can act black and I do Ebonics very well, as well as a Cuban accent, a Jewish/Yiddish accent, a Southern accent and a few others.

Seriously, we are all too 'EFFIN uptight about stereotyping. Most of this $h! is true or people wouldn't notice it. You've heard "20,000 Frenchmen can't be wrong" - right?

You rarely see young white guys in Regals, Monte Carlos, etc. but you will definitely see young blacks/Hispanics in GM mid-lux vehicles which white guys would dismiss as "uncool." I have driven these types of cars since I've had a license because that's what I want to drive. And they've been great cars.

Is it any news blacks like Buicks? No more than the fact that lesbians like Subarus. And Subaru knows it. And so does Buick.

The only negative is that the black association might be offputting to the upmarket white yuppie who is governed more by social norms than his own backbone. I say "Walk on, child...walk on to that shiny new Buick"

Edited by trinacriabob

• 2 months later...

I've noticed too that a lot of the times when you see a newer buick with somebody under 50 driving, its almost always a black person. I'm 20, white, and drive a 99 Regal... I'm very lonely out on the roads.

Black people seem to have a much better appreciation for American luxury cars in general... be it Buick, Caddy, Chrysler, Lincoln, etc... Meanwhile when you drive around in the majority white suburbs you see rows and rows of Lexus, Acura, BMW, Infiniti...

I think its good that Buick is going to market to the black audience.... If that gets more younger people in Buicks, so be it! Thats a big part of what saved Cadillac and Chrysler....

You can only sell so many beige Centurys... the people that normally buy them are dying off sadly and the new generation of older people seem to be import drivers now (I see a LOT of older people in Accords, Camrys, and Avalons now...).

Posted Image

I've noticed too that a lot of the times when you see a newer buick with somebody under 50 driving, its almost always a black person. I'm 20, white, and drive a 99 Regal... I'm very lonely out on the roads.

Black people seem to have a much better appreciation for American luxury cars in general... be it Buick, Caddy, Chrysler, Lincoln, etc... Meanwhile when you drive around in the majority white suburbs you see rows and rows of Lexus, Acura, BMW, Infiniti...

I think its good that Buick is going to market to the black audience.... If that gets more younger people in Buicks, so be it! Thats a big part of what saved Cadillac and Chrysler....

You can only sell so many beige Centurys... the people that normally buy them are dying off sadly and the new generation of older people seem to be import drivers now (I see a LOT of older people in Accords, Camrys, and Avalons now...).

Posted Image

Seeing older people in Toyotas might begin a stereotype that Toyota is an old person's brand of car.

It really is too bad Buick got nailed by that stereotype, but the brand really has been largely ignored by GM. I'd buy a Buick in a second if I had the money, but in all honesty, if I weren't from Flint, I probably wouldn't have the love for the brand that I do.

Edited by AxelTheRed

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Buick Wants to Bring in the Black Guys</span>

If more blacks start driving Buicks it could help the brand overcome its biggest problem: the perception that it is a boring, old person's car.

That's the view of Steve Shannon, Buick's general manager. He says blacks are the most loyal Buick customers and he wants more of them.

Not only do blacks of all ages buy a lot of cars, he says that young blacks, particularly athletes and hip-hop artists, help define urban hipness.

Autoweek

That is so racist on so many levels. I hate how everyone thinks that if someone's black they're cool. Or if they're black and listen to hip hop they're cool. Or hip hop is cool. Come on...

Edited by -Camaro-