ALG Residual Value Award and Rankings

siegen

Link

Automotive Lease Guide has announced the 2007 Residual Value Awards, an annual award that honors those vehicles in each segment predicted to retain the highest percentage of their original price. For the fifth year, ALG has also included awards for the brand with the highest predicted resale value of all industry and luxury vehicles. The awards are derived after careful study of segment competition, historical vehicle performance and industry trends. Award winners are featured on ALG.com, Automotive News, and other automotive websites dedicated to bringing the industry’s best-performing models into the public eye.

For the fourth consecutive year, American Honda Motor Company, Inc. heads the list with the Honda Brand winning the Industry Brand Residual Value Award. Honda also received an individual segment award for the Odyssey in the Minivan category. This is the sixth consecutive win for the Honda Odyssey.

Lexus, a division of Toyota Motor Sales USA, Inc., has reclaimed the Luxury Brand Residual Value Award by narrowly beating BMW, the winner for the past three years. Lexus also won the Near Luxury segment award for the IS 250/350.

Industry Brand Residual Value Rankings

1. Honda

2. Toyota

3. Subaru

4. Volkswagen

5. Mazda

6. Nissan

7. Saturn

8. GMC

Only brands above the industry average were ranked. Below industry average were the following brands (listed in alphabetical order): Buick, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, Hyundai, Jeep, Kia, Mercury, Mitsubishi, Pontiac, and Suzuki.

Luxury Brand Residual Value Rankings

1. Lexus

2. BMW

3. Audi

4. Infiniti

5. Acura

6. Mercedes-Benz

Only brands above the luxury average were ranked. Below luxury average were the following brands (listed in alphabetical order): Cadillac, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lincoln, Saab and Volvo.

I am surprised to see Saturn on the list, actually.  Good job.  I am not atall surprised to see VW and Audi up there.

222202[/snapback]

VW and Audi maintain their Aura by putting out top drawer interiors. It gets the chicks and complex 'just so types' to break open their wallets. that's why everyone wants em. I still maintain that interiors is what most sells cars in the higher priced segments.

I can't say I disagree with you. To sell a car by its innovations and features is a little harder. As many people on this board have beaten to death, it is easier to carp about the "hard plastics" of a vehicle than remark about features that truly matter (quiet steel, power trunk releases, one piece stamped cargo beds, etc.).

First impressions do tend to linger. A VW would be easier to sell, based on opening the door, but price, research, test drives, etc. would level the field a little more.

• 3 months later...

I can't say I disagree with you. To sell a car by its innovations and features is a little harder. As many people on this board have beaten to death, it is easier to carp about the "hard plastics" of a vehicle than remark about features that truly matter (quiet steel, power trunk releases, one piece stamped cargo beds, etc.).

First impressions do tend to linger. A VW would be easier to sell, based on opening the door, but price, research, test drives, etc. would level the field a little more.

I don't think that people think very rationally about car buying.

...and yeah there is a hell of a difference between a vw Rabbit and a Cobalt when you open the door. But I am begining to think the Cobalt is the better long term deal of the two.

Chris

...and yeah there is a hell of a difference between a vw Rabbit and a Cobalt when you open the door. But I am begining to think the Cobalt is the better long term deal of the two.

The Cobalt is by far the better deal buying a 'used' year-old model with 5k miles or an '06 leftover. The dash may not be as OMGCUTE!!!111LOL but your reliability and value will be better. Soviet nuclear submarines have a less eventful shakedown than a modern Volkswagen.