Dude, Like... Dude...

Cory Wolfe

My position on driving with cell phones does not come from studies or media, but just from experience.

I have had close encounters with a few people, and they were on the phone. At the same time, I made the stupid decision of using a friends cell when I was driving and almost hit a poor guy who was jay walking; sure it's illegal, but I'd still be at fault.

224021[/snapback]

I've nearly been hit by phone users that aren't paying attention and drift over into my lane several times.. times like that are when I think 'If I had a rocket launcher..' (to quote a great Bruce Cockburn song)

I try and avoid using my phone while driving...limiting its use to quick calls.

Several states, it seems, have made that judgment call for their citizens, by banning the use of cell phones while driving.

224026[/snapback]

So has a province in my country. However, enforcing that law is almost impossible as the media has shown, and from what I understand, it exempts those who use bluetooth headsets and similar doo-dads, which still distract drivers.

Agreed, but with a little digging, I am sure some lawyer can come up with phone records to nail somebody in court for it after the sad fact of an injury or death caused by the oblivious driver.

224031[/snapback]

So why hasn't that happened? If cell phones = drunk driving, then why haven't people been prosecuted for violating cell phone laws? Surely in the past 5 years there would have been at least ONE wrongful death lawsuit over a cell phone in NYC??

The main distraction in cell phone usage is the same as it is while holding a conversation with multiple people in the car. The actual task of dialing and operating a phone would not increase the distraction rate anymore than figuring out how to get an Audi to stop massaging your ass and play a radio station other than !La Cantina Grande de Musica!. And again, some people are better about maintaining focus that others.

223913[/snapback]

Exactly.

Talking on a phone is no more distracting than talking to a live human in the vehicle.

And about the hands free/no hands free...who here drives with two hands on the wheel??  I have one at 12:00 and the other on the armrest or holding a phone.  Or drinking my beverage of the commute.

223928[/snapback]

I'll have to agree. The only time I drive with both hands on the wheel is when I'm driving... like I shouldn't be. :P

I went and searched for a link to placate you.  You got links and you're still running off at the mouth.  Please hush.  I don't feel like fighting with you tonight.  Plus, my warning level is at 6 flashing blocks, one more and I'm out.  Do you want me to get banned?

223947[/snapback]

I do, Ocn. Now hush before I bop you over the head with an empty diet pepsi bottle. :D

Once in a while I think I'm missing out by not having a cell, but then I think I'd rather not be that reachable 24/7.  I do appreciate the thought of having one for emergencies though.

223953[/snapback]

Well, I have no service here at home, so I'm not reachable 24/7. Besides... there's this off button...

My position on driving with cell phones does not come from studies or media, but just from experience.

I have had close encounters with a few people, and they were on the phone. At the same time, I made the stupid decision of using a friends cell when I was driving and almost hit a poor guy who was jay walking; sure it's illegal, but I'd still be at fault.

I'm not a bad driver, but I am distracted by using a cell, and therefore refuse to use one while driving. Ditto with my iPod, I throw it on shuffle until my trucks engine has turned off.

Personally, I'd prefer it if people just pulled over to use their cell, but they are the ones to make that judgment call.

224021[/snapback]

As have been mentioned before, some people can do it, some are just unable to.

Um, a Diet Pepsi bottle? Sure, that would be funny for about 5 seconds, but do you even know what revenge is? I don't think so. You'll never know where, when or how, but know this... it will be swift, sure and complete. Like a smartbomb.

:pokeowned:

Congrats... I guess it's your right to have a cell phone. It doesn't matter to me.

Personally, I've "accidentally" driven over my business cell phone twice. Pity, since it's just so tough now for people at work to reach me when ever they want me. Bummer for them, yay for me.

Cell phones are just another convenience for others to bother me. Anyone can do without them just fine.

My personal phone is only used as it is needed, such as when we're on the road (I use a headset or speakerphone because I hate trying to hold a wafer to my ear while driving).

I've done the next best thing to making the cell phone work the way I want it to. I actually have my prefix in another province through Telus Mobility, just so local people will avoid calling me and getting long distance charges against them. My wife and I both have out-of-province numbers and a long distance plan to call each other for free with 500 additional minutes from outside lines. We're frequently in Calgary visiting family, and Alberta is our prefix, so when in Alberta, all of our calls are free to make and receive.

Oh, and for the record, the grand majority of the time I encounter a dimwit driving terribly around me, there is a cell phone against their head. Sure, there are plenty of people with the aptitude for driving while talking on a cell phone; however, there are plenty more other people who give the good multitasker a bad name. Bad drivers ruin it for the rest of us, so cell phones while driving is a bad thing. Deal with it.

And about the hands free/no hands free...who here drives with two hands on the wheel??  I have one at 12:00 and the other on the armrest or holding a phone.  Or drinking my beverage of the commute.

223928[/snapback]

1. Having both hands available for driving makes it easier to perform quick turning maneuvers in an unexpected situation. They don't both necessarily have to be on the wheel... The offhand just has to be standing by, rather than holding a drink or a cell phone.

2. That said, I have a tendency to drive with both hands on the wheel. It's probably due to exposure to both powerless-steering (72 van) and loose-steering (Seville) cars, but I enjoy the driving experience more that way.

Mythbusters did a formal test comparing drunk driving with cell phone use. Their reaction times were down and they drove just as bad as when  they were drunk. There's a study for ya.

224509[/snapback]

Have any of you guys saying that ever actually ridden with a person who's driving drunk? Seriously? There is a world of difference between using a cell phone while driving and being drunk while driving. Trust me... I used to always have to ride with my parents after they've drank. Cell phone usage doesnt compare. At all.

Have any of you guys saying that ever actually ridden with a person who's driving drunk? Seriously? There is a world of difference between using a cell phone while driving and being drunk while driving. Trust me... I used to always have to ride with my parents after they've drank. Cell phone usage doesnt compare. At all.

224527[/snapback]

Quoted for truth.

Yesterday, I was behind some girl in an older Cavalier on a four lane boulevard in town. We were in the left lane, I signaled, and went to turn into the right lane. I could see her hand up to her ear, talking on the damned phone as she sort of zoned out, let off the gas, and drifted halfway into the right lane, straddling the line. She dawdled there. I got by her and went on my way.