Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

new gm big block?

Until the 10.5 liter V12 comes out next year... I wish. :P

364 musta been bumped up quite a bit: last year the (non-SS) 6.0 was 300hp / 360@4000 trq, whereas the 496 was 330hp / 450@3200 trq. That's a huge hill to climb for the 364. The SS/Denali VortecMax 364 was 345/380- still well shy of the 496's output (trq).

Sure the Duramax trumps them (and everything else) handily, but isn't it in the neighborhood of $7500 after Jan 1? It's $6K or so now; not everyone can swing that.

i read somewhere a long time ago that gm might replace the big block V8 with a small block V10. However, personally i think it is very unlikely. But i still think the 8.1L will be hauled over from the previous model. i was just wondering if a new big block will appear so i can buy it or stay on my current 8.1L suburban.

For the moment the V10 is dead. It will only be resurrected if GM feels enough customers demand increased torque as well as hp, and are willing to pay for it (if not as much as the for the big diesel).

225294[/snapback]

If I recall the story correctly GM was having problems with NVH or maybe with the cranks.

If I hadn't been so impressed with the Duramax, my truck would have gotten the 8.1 gas engine. The 6.0 is a pig, makes plenty of power but it is even thirstier than the more powerful 8.1 big block. My 2001 6.0 was very hard to keep fed, and it seems so were most of them (at least in HD trucks) my local dealer's service dept.logged many complaints of poor mileage on the 6.0. The exact opposite was reported by owners of the 8.1. I hope that the 8.1 isn't dead, but the (seemingly false) perception that it gets worse mileage than the 6.0 may have doomed it.

. The exact opposite was reported by owners of the 8.1. I hope that the 8.1 isn't dead, but the (seemingly false) perception that it gets worse mileage than the 6.0 may have doomed it.

226297[/snapback]

Interesting. In the early 90's I came back to GM after years away largely because of the exceptional gas milage i got in 8.1 l powered motor home.

• 3 months later...

In '06 the 8.1L was available across the board in the 2500HD and 3500 trucks. Was the 8.1 (496) discontinued for '07??

yes... I've got a 2001 with the 8.1

I had ordered a 2006 for a customer... well production had stopped for the 2006 models... so I ordered a classic 07 and still got it... but as far as I know production is no longer for the silverados and definatly not the avalanche or suburbans...

just the 4500+ commercial vehicles...