Gas Prices Surge to $1.75 a Litre $5.70 gal

Cremazie

Still holding on to $1.02 here in Scarborough (for now.) I was just thinking today: Canada, like, exports oil, right? She pumps a lot more than she uses. Yet, we are paying $70 a barrel, too, right? I don't get it: no hurricanes hit here, yet we are paying for more oil, lumber and insurance because of what is happening south of the border. Things that make you go hmmmm..... I am all for Free Trade and all... but, WTF!! Bush talks about 200 billion to rebuild New Orleans. Ouch. How much is it going to cost us? Everyone, North America wide is going to see their insurance premiums go up this winter. There will probably be a few insurance companies go bust over this. High oil prices may benefit Alberta, but it is going to kill the industrial heartland. If gas hits $1.50 and stays there...mark my words - we will see a slump in the economy. It can't absorb a doubling of gasoline in 6 months. My heart goes out to all our American brothers and sisters in the South who are getting pummelled by these hurricanes, but isn't it time people start looking at where they are building their homes? It is going to cost everyone. Dearly.

If gas hits $1.50 and stays there...mark my words - we will see a slump in the economy. It can't absorb a doubling of gasoline in 6 months.

I agree, it will be too late untill we realize what this is doing to everyone.

Canada has 10 times more oil the Iraq, we refine enough oil to keep out oil supply healthy for the next 50 to 100 years. . . why does a storm that is in texas doubling our cost of oil. . . which was made a month ago by the time it comes from the ground to the pumps!

I agree, it will be too late untill we realize what this is doing to everyone.

Canada has 10 times more oil the Iraq, we refine enough oil to keep out oil supply healthy for the next 50 to 100 years. . .  why does a storm that is in texas doubling our cost of oil. . .  which was made a month ago by the time it comes from the ground to the pumps!

[post="18774"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

They said on TV that people from the States will flock to us for gas, so they have to regulate because of price and demand. To me that's BS that the oil companies are putting up, just for extra profits.

I remember back a while ago on the gas pumps there were labels indicating the distribution of profit and taxes in gas price, recently I noticed they were gone. You know the deal.

This is bull$hit. I don't believe the excuses for a minute!

Posted Image

Y'know, those labels on the pumps are pure bulls**t. Y'know why? Their cute little pie chart shows the cost of marketing, cost of refining, government taxes, etc. but guess what - cost of refining is THEIR costs. How much profit do they pocket at the refinery level? Bush is too cozy with these guys. With something like 85% of the refinery capacity in the U.S. controlled by a handful of companies, this choke point is creating the problem now, not the supply problem. I'd say the oil companies are being pretty stupid by having something like 40% of the oil refinery capacity all along the hurricane path. But why should they care - they just jack up the price and benefit either way!! And why is Canada being dragged into this mess? It would be interesting to see what Ottawa would do if there ever was a REAL crisis (not fabricated one, like this one.) Frankly, I deeply resent paying $1.50 a litre ( a very real possibility if this hurricane really hits Texas hard) when none of this has anything to do with us.

It really caused a panic. I live here in southwestern ontario, about 30 minutes away from Chatham, Ontario. When the rumours started flying, everyone (except me, apparently, but I was out and about to pick up my chinese takeout!) decided to fill up. All the gas stations had cars winding around their properties, into whatever business was next door, down the street, blocking traffic, etc. It was like some weird end of the world movie. Too freaky. As a result, in the small town where i work, we had 2 out of 4 gas stations run out of gas. So what happens now? Do they refill their tanks at higher prices? I'll never understand gas station pricing. As it was, gas peaked at about $1.46/litre.

I live in NY and could really carless about the problems down south. I dont live their livestyle. I have occasional more minor issus of my own with erosion due to heavy rains and spring thaws. I get no help nor ask for any, I just brake my butt moving rocks and buying stone fill. None of this has anything to do with anything except profits. Gas never went back down after the last storm. Imagine the money people wealthy enough to be in the stock market and invested into oil. Well we were all told 3 years ago it would be a sound investment, I have so little I failed to take the chance. In retrospect it would have worked for me too. Thats what this is all about. Rebuilding the losses the wealthy took after 9-11. Its just like a fixed ballgame and we are the ticket buying captive audience.

I really feel bad for those with weekly take homes around the $350-400 bracket. I know they must be spending somewhere close to $50 just for the gas more if they are over a 30 mile commute. I also know many bring home much less and travle further.

At least we know we are being served and protected where it really counts by our corporate and political leaders :rolleyes: yarite!

"Everybody goin to the party have a real good time"