NyQuil almost killed me

It all started after I got back to work after going home for Christmas, my family lives in Detroit and I am a Coast Guard flight engineer in Kodiak Alaska. Well some one on one of my 6 (not joking) connecting flights gave me a cold. So 2 days after I got home the cold got bad so I went to go take some NyQuil, I poured 2 tablespoons into that plastic cup thingy and tried to drink it. Now is where the fun starts I have the NyQuil in my mouth and as luck would have it I cough unleashing a spray of red liquid out my nose all over my kitchen, it looked like I got shot in the back of the head. Then it got worse, I inhaled the rest on the NyQuil right into my lungs, so now im standing in my kitchen red spray all over the cabinets gagging and choking on NyQuil. Then like in most horrible contusions the funny part happened, my girlfriend hearing me making noises like a draining sink you know that sick sucking sound, runs into the room and thinking i'm choking trys to give me the heimlich. Problem is im 6'1" 185 and shes 5'9" about 115 soaking wet holding a brick. So she stars basically hitting me in the gut from behind, well I didn't need her to do that but I couldn't really talk so I pushed her away and coughed up the rest of the NyQuil into the sink. So after explaining what had happened to her we laughed about it, well she laughed I coughed some more. So long story short I really didn't sleep what night because I spent the rest of the night coughing. Well I don't really what you could post, but what do you think for my horrable but very funny story or do you have some thing funnier?

• Haha 1

thats pretty funny. I had that happen once start choke and some starts punching you.

But i cant take NyQuil or I will b up all night that stuff is like cocaine to me. gives me a boost of energy.

I've never tried snorting Nyquil, maybe that works better? I took Nyquil once. At first it had no effect, then I did some more. I ended up drinking about 1/3 of the bottle. Then I was so high, I couldn't sleep at all and just lay in bed, buzzing like crazy, trying not to wake up my boyfriend who WAS actually sleeping.

Tragic story, Double D. :AH-HA_wink:

Seriously, I'm another one of those weird people who cannot take Nyquil... it gives me a buzz, my eyes bug out and my heart races. Perhaps your body was trying to tell you something.

• 3 weeks later...

It all started after I got back to work after going home for Christmas, my family lives in Detroit and I am a Coast Guard flight engineer in Kodiak Alaska.

When I got this far inot the post I'm thinking I can see EXACTLY what is going to happen.

You get all hopped up on way too much NyQuil and the next day, as you're stumbling around

the helipad about the take the chaulks out from under the Helicopter's rear wheels you

almost walk right inot the rear blade since you're completely out of it...

So in actuality your story was VERY amusing but anti-climactic to me. :wink:

shes 5'9" about 115 soaking wet holding a brick.

That's funny! :lol:

• 11 years later...
Guest this Guy

10+ years later, I did something similar and currently dealing with the consequences... Been 2hrs of scratchy, burny windpipe!   Hoping to pass out between coughing fits.

• 2 years later...
Guest Dannette

I'm so glad I Googled this, because it just happened to me last night.  I had poured a full dose, but wasn't sure I wanted to take the whole thing.  So, the first half went down fine.  Then, I was like, "screw it," and tossed the second half back.  Straight down my windpipe.  I was soooooooooo miserable last night.  I literally felt like I was going to die for a good 20 minutes.  Plus, I'm asthmatic.  So, today, I'm still wheezing and coughing.  And I just feel crappy.  And, like, stupid for not being able to take meds safely.  At least I'm not alone.

• 5 months later...

Welcome 2021 and another victim of choking on NyQuil. Cherry flavored! Haha. Just happened to me about ten minutes ago. Throat burns. Eyes crying like crazy. The scratchy clearing my throat every fifteen seconds feeling sucks! Oh. And I can't drink enough cold water. Ugh. I guess it's going to be a long night, but thanks to you guys, I'm pretty sure I'll live to see another day. I'm almost 60 and THIS has never ever happened to me before. I hope it never does AGAIN.🥺

• 1 year later...

NyQuil dang near asphyxiated me last night … I quit breathing in my sleep while lucid dreaming that someone was poisoning me with candy … and I couldn’t wake up. I was groggy - like eye rolling, drooling groggy - and could not wake up even as my lungs burned from air hunger and my brain was telling me “WAKE UP, you have seconds left to breathe before bad s**t happens”.  It went on and on, panic and painful suffocation, til I finally woke up and was able to draw air.  

Wtffff… anyone else experience this?  I couldn’t stay awake after breathing again and slept another 14 damn hours, no further apnea but wild (tho cool) dreams that I can still remember- all 14 hours worth.  And severe restless leg - I constantly kicked violently the remaining 14 hours.

I checked the exp date and the NyQuil was over 5 yrs out of date, so maybe the formulation dehydrated, causing intensification of ingredients and resulting potientiation?  Pretty scary, just wondering if anyone else experienced same?