Which Truck Should I Get?

Im so confused on which midsize pickup to get. I test drove the dakota, tacoma, frontier, and canyon. I like them all. This is a very tough decision. I did a quick run down on what I think of these trucks.

Toyota Tacoma

Highs: Nice Interior, decent stock sound system, high resale value

Lows: ugly exterior

Nissan Frontier

Highs: 265HP V6, sporty looking

Lows: Interior isnt all that great, transmission didnt feel right to me

Dodge Dakota

Highs: Good looking, nice size

Lows: V8 isnt to powerful, V6 is weak, heavy

GMC Canyon

Highs: Smooth Ride, 5 cylinder engine, off road rugged looks

Lows: Price, 4speed auto, resale value sucks

My heart tells me to go for the Canyon, but I hear so many complaints about GM quality from friends and family. My grandfather would of been proud if I did get a GM vehicle though. But more than likely Ill probably end up chosing the Tacoma because of its high resale value and good looking interior. Which truck would you guys pick?

Uh... a GMC Canyon. If you put enough money down on it, you never have to worry about owing more than its worth, and you'll have the truck you want. How long will you keep it? That's a consideration when fearing low resale value.

Uh... a GMC Canyon. If you put enough money down on it, you never have to worry about owing more than its worth, and you'll have the truck you want. How long will you keep it? That's a consideration when fearing low resale value.

I would like to keep it for a while. Probably 7-10 years. I just want a truck that would last me that long.

Personally I would get a Ford Ranger, but from the list i would get the Canyon with 5 cylinder 5 speed manual. Kind of like what Ocn had. But As Long as You Like your final decision. And this Is a GM fan site.

What Ever you choose though be sure to write a C and G drives article and update it once in a while.

I don't know why GM has a bad quality rep though. If you do proper maintenance it should last well into 200-300k miles. Theres lots of people on this forum with GM Crap generation (80's-00's) cars that are in there 200k range.

Personally I would get a Ford Ranger, but from the list i would get the Canyon with 5 cylinder 5 speed manual. Kind of like what Ocn had. But As Long as You Like your final decision. And this Is a GM fan site.

What Ever you choose though be sure to write a C and G drives article and update it once in a while.

I don't know why GM has a bad quality rep though. If you do proper maintenance it should last well into 200-300k miles. Theres lots of people on this forum with GM Crap generation (80's-00's) cars that are in there 200k range.

The ranger is cool, but I need a 4 door crew cab truck. I wish Ford would hurry up and update that thing. Yeah you're right GM quality isnt all that bad like people try to make it seem. Most people think american cars have bad quality compared to Honda and Toyota. I wonder if GM is has any incentives for the Colorado/Canyon?

Usually the brand websites can fill you in on current incentives. Good luck hunting, and let us know what you decide. I know even here in the northeast, there are plenty of first-gen S-10s still trucking around. No fear with a GM truck for longevity.

I would like to keep it for a while. Probably 7-10 years. I just want a truck that would last me that long.

Just out of curiosity... in general, does resale value even matter after 7-10 years? Would a Tacoma be worth significantly more than the Canyon after that much time?

For a new truck, I'd vouch for the Frontier LE. It's a sharp truck when dressed up, and it's the lesser of the evils listed. Sorry, but the Canyon, IMO, is one of the worst products GM's churned out in the past few years. Now, if you could handle a used truck, I'd instantly recommend an S-Series twin. Either/or will be a good, solid, reliable truck.

Have fun hunting!

Just out of curiosity... in general, does resale value even matter after 7-10 years? Would a Tacoma be worth significantly more than the Canyon after that much time?

Depends on mileage....

but no, assuming 10k a year, after 10 years on either truck, resale is really a moot point. You're talking a couple hundred bucks tops. Are those couple hundred bucks at the end of the truck's life really worth the thousands more you'll spend up front for the Tacoma?

The Tacoma may have higher resale value, but how much extra did you pay <and pay interest on> just to get the Tacoma? Even if it's only $1,000 more for the Tacoma <which it's not>, you'll be paying interest on that $1,000 for the life of the loan. Factor in the 0% for 60 months on the Canyon and your decision gets a bit easier. This can be said for nearly all the domestic vehicles.

I seen alot of 2001 tacoma double cabs with over 80-100k miles still go for $18-20k. I've seen 04-05 colorado crew cabs with 50k on the odo that go for 15. I wanna have something that will be worth paying a loan over for. I dont wanna pay 25k for a truck thats going to be worth half that in a few years when Im still paying off a $25k auto loan.

How about an Explorer Sport Trac? I've driven the Tacoma, Frontier, and Canyon. If cost were no object, the Tacoma is the one to get. But if it were my money, I'd get the Frontier. Every now and then, I think about trading in my Silverado for a Frontier.

Edited by bobo

My beef with the Sport Trac is that the box is near useless, but that's just me.

I'd spring for the Frontier, because it's very capable, powerful, and has great looks to boot. Runner up would be the Tacoma, if only because the GM twins and the Durango aren't too great.

I drive a '90 Sierra, and for some reason, my 17 year old truck feels more substantial than the new Colorado/Canyon twins.

How about an Explorer Sport Trac? I've driven the Tacoma, Frontier, and Canyon. If cost were no object, the Tacoma is the one to get. But if it were my money, I'd get the Frontier. Every now and then, I think about trading in my Silverado for a Frontier.

Im not a fan of the sport trac. Its kinda odd looking to me. The Frontier seems like the way to go. Especially with that 265HP V6. And its a good looking truck too. The only downfall about the Frontier is the interior, Im not a fan of it at all.

Maybe you should buy a slightly used one. The Canyon can probably be had very, very cheap used. Dakota too. Not sure about the resale value on the others, but you'd still probably save a good chunk of change. And, since you're going to keep it for so long, you might as well pay as little as possible now since it won't be worth hardly anything when you get rid of it.

I have one big question. What determines resale value on a vehicle?

Lots of things...how well they sold new and how much or how little incentives there were, how high production numbers were, how the quality reputation is, etc. Just a lot of things, though with GM it seems to be a combo of semi slow sales and larger incentives in the beginning, combined with lots of fleet (i.e. rental and government) sales that knock them down a bit--but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. They're keeping production more closely in check, as well as keeping sticker prices down, and quality is some of the best ever, so some of the latest GM models are actually doing VERY well from a resale point of view.

Lots of things...how well they sold new and how much or how little incentives there were, how high production numbers were, how the quality reputation is, etc. Just a lot of things, though with GM it seems to be a combo of semi slow sales and larger incentives in the beginning, combined with lots of fleet (i.e. rental and government) sales that knock them down a bit--but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. They're keeping production more closely in check, as well as keeping sticker prices down, and quality is some of the best ever, so some of the latest GM models are actually doing VERY well from a resale point of view.

Oh ok, I've never thought about those factors for determining resale value. As of right now, Ill probably end up with the Canyon or Dakota. Im really feeling the Canyon.