Project Camino!

Looking good. Love the lack of rust in the pillars. My fiberglass-bodied Corvette has more rust than this car.

Wow, that dash is a basket-case! If you're interested, there's this place on Hicksville (LI), NY that's supposedly a premier interior restoration outfit. I'm sure they can do wonders for you: AutoMat

i live about a mile from automat, and ive seen alot of their work....

theyre probably one of the greatest interior shops this side of the mississippi, but they're prices reflect it... you get what you pay for tho...

:AH-HA_wink:

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy cow... how'd miss this thread? Congrats!!!

BTW: I have NOT forgoten about the tan interior that you need.

Saw this the other day when XP and I went to N.H. to look at a

bunch of Diesel GMs (some wacked out collector)

Te interior was black however.

Posted Image

Today's update:

The tech at the dealership installed the motor mounts and trans mount.

I got the parts car off of the trailer by doing the following:

-I backed the trailer into the garage with the end of the trailer deck right where I wanted the rear wheels of the car to be.

- Then, I chocked the left rear wheel of the car and removed all of the tiedowns.

- Then, I wiggled the chock loose and moved it a few inches away from the tire allowing the car to drift back to it. I repeated this process until I ran out of room for the chock on the deck of the trailer.

- Then, I chocked the right front wheel and removed the chock from the rear wheel. This allowed me to get the rear whels right to the edge of the trailer deck by moving the chock a few inches at a time.

- Then, I placed two 6x6s right at the end of the trailer on the floor where the wheels would land.

- Then, I slowly raised the deckof the trailer(hydraulic) and the car began to roll backward dragging the chock with it. It rolled until the rear wheels hit the floor and then I stopped raising the deck to chock the backside of the rear wheels.

- Then, I raised the deck higher so that the back end almost touched the floor.

- At this point, I pulled the trailer forward far enough to chock the front of the rear wheels as well.

- With the car immobilized at the rear wheels, I pulled the trailer out from under the car completing the job.

With the car now on the ground, I broke loose all of the lug nuts and put the car up on jackstands in the front and jacked-up the rear leaving the jack under it (since someone seems to have borrowed my second pair of jackstands). I removed the tires/wheels and loaded them into the truck, took them to the dealership, scrubbed them down, and installed 3 of the 4. The fourth wheel will have to wait for 5 new studs to be installed on the right rear of my car because some fool forced a truck wheel on there that has a wider bolt-pattern bending all of the studs!

Anyway, that was today.

Here are some pics of the wheels on my car and one pic of the sticker I peeled from the inside of one wheel.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Those wheels look so familiar... what are they off of? They look OE for something... Camaro Berlinetta? They also resemble *gasp* Chrysler minivan wheels of some vintage. I know they can't be off a minivan because of the RWD offset... hmmm... Edited by ocnblu

My best guess is mid-80s Firebird GTA:

Posted Image

They do look great all polished up, and they go well with the color scheme. I'm not sure what you can do about the center caps though...maybe one from a 80s Monte or S10 with the bowtie on it would fit.

I think you'd probably have to unmount the tires from the rims to find anything if it's not on the back. Don't bother, just sit back and enjoy how cool they look 8)

Well, the snow delayed me for a few days and messed-up my sleep schedule (I plow). Even so, my ebay and regular parts orders have begun to arrive and I'm knee-deep in steering column. Sorry, no dis-assembly pics (I was too into getting started). I will try to take pics of the re-assembly. Unfortunately, the reason I had to start with this is that my turn signal switch and cancelling cam were both broken. Because of this the ENTIRE steering column has to be taken apart. The switch has a connector the size of Texas which can't be fished down the length of the steering column so the whole thing has to come apart and be dropped from its mounts. While I'm in there, I am cleaning and servicing the whole assembly. Good thing too, as the upper bearings were shot. I got lucky and found a column repair kit at the local Chevy dealer with both bearings, sector and gear, lock pin spring etc. I'll be using all of the new parts and saving the old ones that are decent.

At this point, all of the dis-assembly is complete except for dropping the column from the mounts. It is a tilt wheel and surprisingly enough all of the mounting bolts are nice and tight. I will probably remove, clean, and loctite them anyway. The only hold-up is I'm not sure if I have the right reverse Torx socket for the job (I may have to make a trip to Pep Boys).

I'll update again after this job is done (maybe with pics).

On the upside, I finally got it home today. Project and parts car are side by side in the barn.

If cars could talk, what do you think those two would be saying to each other?

No, I'm not drunk or stoned :retard:

OK, it was really cold in the barn last night so I didn't get too far in my re-assembly of the steering column. I did begin by installing new inner and outer bearings in what I'll call the inner housing. This is the main housing around the tilt shaft which contains all sorts of parts including the tilt lever and ignition and lock mechanisms. The first two pics are of the bare housing cleaned and ready for new bearings and re-assembly. I'll save you a detailed blow by blow and let the pictures do the talking.

When it got too cold, I decided to see what I could do with my ratty steering wheel in the warmth of the house. As you can see in the first two pics, it looked really nasty and had what seemed to be an original leather wrap on it. The first thing I did was to cut the leather off, followed by hours of trying to get the thing clean. It came out pretty well considering.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That looks similar to the steering wheel in our '73 MC

Posted Image

We also had a '76 MC a long time ago, and I don't remember that groove being there or any leather wrapping (maybe the leather is aftermarket??). I think if you clean out the broken trim in the groove, and replace it with a custom-made aluminum ring to fit exactly in there, it would really be a very interesting look.

Something you might be interested in

Actually, take a look through that guy's eBay store. He's got a ton of 73-77 El Camino parts.

EDIT: Check this out - it's non-AC, but rare in itself.

That looks similar to the steering wheel in our '73 MC

...and the steering wheel in my '76 MC is exactly like your '73 MC:

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/newpics/DSC07655r8_jpg.html

...which makes me wonder ... since 1973-77 MCs had basically the same steering wheel, which is the same steering wheel Malibus and El Caminos had, from all I've researched, anyway ... from what year Chevy did that steering wheel come, Camino?

If I missed that info somewhere along the line, my apologies :(.

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I saw an old Malibu" ... Doug Stone ... 'I Thought It Was You'

Z: I already got some NOS bedrails and tailgate molding, but thanks for the heads-up. If that dash were for an AC car I'd be all over it!

Knightfan: The wheel in my car is original, the only difference between it and an MC wheel is the shape of the horn pad and insert.

I completed the column re-build late last night, pics later.

Here are some pics from the Column rebuild I completed last night. I was going to do a step-by-step with the pictures, but some of them didn't come out too well as my hands were cold and greasy while I was trying to take the pics. So, it will just be a few highlights as each major part goes on. I am including a pic of both cars in the barn as well.

Today I got the engine compartment and underside pressure washed but I had to use cold water so it isn't perfect. But, I'll get a lot less greasy when I do the suspension now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A couple of miscellaneous things I'm thinking about:

- That Monte dash pad may just work for my car as long as it has the far right hand air vent. Of course that means I'll have to learn all about re-coloring vinyl.

- It's tempting to go all black with the interior, but that means EVERYTHING has to change, right down to the seat belts.

- I really like the Monte dashes better and they would fit

- I'd like to trade those wheels for a nice set of original 15x7 Chevy Rally wheels.

I'm not sure about the far right air vent....the one on our MC is an aftermarket one. My grandfather installed an aftermarket A/C kit way back before I was old enough to try to stop him :AH-HA_wink: Maybe the '77 dash is different.

They make dashboard paint, but it's not all that durable. It will scuff over time. You're better off having it dyed, where the color gets impregnated into the vinyl.

You don't have black seat belts? Our '76 red/red MC did.

What's the difference between the Monte/El Camino/Chevelle dashes? Aside from the different emblems, they look very mich the same to me.

I'm not sure about the far right air vent....the one on our MC is an aftermarket one. My grandfather installed an aftermarket A/C kit way back before I was old enough to try to stop him :AH-HA_wink: Maybe the '77 dash is different.

That's why I want to see that side of the dash on ebay

They make dashboard paint, but it's not all that durable. It will scuff over time. You're better off having it dyed, where the color gets impregnated into the vinyl.

I wonder if it will work on a black dash going to a lighter color

You don't have black seat belts? Our '76 red/red MC did.

Nope, everything is one shade of tan or another

What's the difference between the Monte/El Camino/Chevelle dashes? Aside from the different emblems, they look very mich the same to me.

The Monte dashes are always or almost always black around the gauges and they have a different style of woodgrain that isn't so fake-looking. The "in bezel" air vent is also black instead of chrome. The Chevelle/El Camino dashes are identical, but there are two styles: square openings and round openings with gauges.

FWIW, here's a pic of a '74 non-AC Monte Carlo project car:

Posted Image

That definitely looks like a vent over there. Perhaps my grandfather's MC was a victim of first year car syndrome.

Knightfan: The wheel in my car is original, the only difference between it and an MC wheel is the shape of the horn pad and insert.

Heh ... interesting.

And, you're right ... MCs are always round gauges. From what I understand, base El Caminos and Malibus have rectangular gauges, with the circular ones for performance models....

And ... cool pics of your progress! Would love to see your Elky in person!

"We missed a page or 2 somehow" ... Suzy Boggus ... 'Cinderella'

If you're planning on keeping it, sure, why not? I'd convert it to a stick, too, while you're at it, but I guess it's only feasible if you decide to change out the entire interior. Go with a Ramjet 350/6spd combo, for a nice balance of power, fun, reliability, and economy.

Any more thoughts on that M/C dash? I think the auction ends tomorrow or Tues.

The M/C dash is not looking like it will work, but I'm still waiting for the seller to clarify the situation. He says it doesn't have the vent but has an emblem in place of it. I doubt that that is exactly true: it likely has the small square emblem in the normal spot and no provision for a vent.

Been looking at the Ramjet...

Thanks, Cort.

Hopefully you will get the chance to see it on one of your roadtrips.

*grins*

That certainly would be nice :). You're in PA, right .. or thereabouts?

And, you are welcome ... just keep posting those pics ... thank you :).

"Take my way, it's the highway, that's the best" ... John Mayer ... 'Route 66'

I'm all about BIG photos when required but pg.4 was a bit much.

Links would be make more sense... esp. when the photos are

being reduced to 20% of their original size. My computer almost

froze up opening up the first few. :blink:

That's right, not far from Philly actually. Don't worry, I plan to post pics all through the restoration.

COOL!

And, if I end up going to MD after being in the Pittsburgh area in August ... maybe we can meet up :).

"I'll always be around" ... Willie Nelson ... 'Highwayman'

The engine currently in the car has great (and even) compression in all cylinders and the trans shifts normally, but with all cosmetics re-done, it just seems like a short-cut to not do the drivetrain. I may be picking up a very clean '77 Chevelle wagon without an engine/trans which would be an ideal place for the old Camino drivetrain. The bonus is that the wagon comes with a full dual exhaust system with headers and dual cats. I'm thinking to transfer engine,trans and exhaust system from the Camino to the wagon. Then I can start fresh on the Camino with a crate motor complete with GM accesory drive, financed by selling the wagon.

The only reason I am considering a frame-off is that I want to protect the underbody and painting it while on the frame would be tough. I had never planned to take this project so far, but the body on my car is so good that I think I should.

And here comes the slippery slope: if I go as far as the above post suggests, then maybe "restification" is in order instead of the "restoration" I had planned on.

And if that's the case...

I may make a few exterior changes. The original color of this car is white and a orange/bronze metallic, I am considering doing a pearl white w/ 4th gen. F-body Sunset Orange Metallic or 05/06 GTO Brazen Orange Metallic.

The other changes would be removal of the bodyside molding (anti door ding) the door edge guards, the cargo hold-downs, and maybe the "classic" badges. To finish off, I might go with a set of aftermarket wheels instead of the rallys I was planning on.

I may be picking up a very clean '77 Chevelle wagon without an engine/trans which would be an ideal place for the old Camino drivetrain....

Do it! :thumbsup: Those wagons are getting very scarce. It would be great if you could breathe new life into one and have a companion to the El Camino too.