Camino LS6

Project Camino!

487 posts in this topic

Paolino    99

Congrats man!

Camino LS6    866

I wish it would stop being so cold so I can get started. I'd at least like to wash the 2000 miles of road salt off before it ruins my rust-free head start! It's even too cold for that right now. :cussing:

Paolino    99

Camino... it amazes me there's no rust. I can't even tell you how much rust I saw on a 2004 Bonneville today. It was one whole panel of solid rust--there was no evidence of paint left!

Camino LS6    866

Camino... it amazes me there's no rust. I can't even tell you how much rust I saw on a 2004 Bonneville today. It was one whole panel of solid rust--there was no evidence of paint left!

I know! I expected this car to be pretty good sheet metalwise, but not this good. Almost all of these are rust barges - my parts car has terminal rust. With all of the salt and dirt on the car you can't see how truly amazing it is . The floorpans are not undercoated and still have the original paint and the frame and bumper brackets as well as the radiator support still have the factory black finish in good condition under all the dirt!

I got lucky - very lucky.

Fly: I'm done with British cars. :AH-HA_wink:

z28luvr01    170

Wow, this car is really clean, an excellent starting point for you. How's the body as far as dents and scratches go? The paint honestly looks really good for a desert car with no factory clearcoat. And it runs!!!!

Except for the dash and the seat, the interior looks like it'll clean up pretty nicely. Buy lots of those cans of interior cleaner - the ones with the britsles on the cap. It looks like the owner worked on the car, then jumped right in it and drove it without washing his hands. That should come out with lots of elbow grease, though.

Is that a spray-on bedliner? I'm having trouble telling. If it's a regular bedliner, get rid of that ASAP and go with a spray-on. The last thing you need is moisture collecting in that area.

Looks like you have 3 out of 4 Rally wheels, but no center caps (available everywhere for cheap). Defintely go with the parts-car wheels, they will look cool with that color scheme.

ocnblu    731
It looks to be in very decent shape, Camino. First things I noticed after the lack of rust are the tonneau cover tiedown eyes and the aftermarket side moldings, riveted on, I'd have to get rid of those and fill all those holes. It looks like a lot of the trim, like the paint break moldings and bed reveal and back glass reveals are in need of replacement. Those paint break moldings, they're on with rivets and clips, aren't they? Overall, a very sweet starting point with that impressively solid body. Good going, sir!

Intrepidation    846

The body is in great shape for it's age. You're very lucky not to have rust. Is that oil I see in one of the pics? Looks like it'll be a sweet car when it's done.

Camino LS6    866

Wow, this car is really clean, an excellent starting point for you. How's the body as far as dents and scratches go? The paint honestly looks really good for a desert car with no factory clearcoat. And it runs!!!!

It has minor dents at all 4 corners and a few others here and there and the tailgate is a victim of amatuer dent removal. The paint is shot and needs to be done ASAP to protect the metal. I'm not sure that the engine and trans are worth keeping yet, I should know early next week.

Except for the dash and the seat, the interior looks like it'll clean up pretty nicely. Buy lots of those cans of interior cleaner - the ones with the britsles on the cap. It looks like the owner worked on the car, then jumped right in it and drove it without washing his hands. That should come out with lots of elbow grease, though.

The interior isn't terrible, but I plan to re-do it, maybe in black.

Is that a spray-on bedliner? I'm having trouble telling. If it's a regular bedliner, get rid of that ASAP and go with a spray-on. The last thing you need is moisture collecting in that area.

It's more like a heavy black paint, and it will go away when the car gets painted.

Looks like you have 3 out of 4 Rally wheels, but no center caps (available everywhere for cheap). Defintely go with the parts-car wheels, they will look cool with that color scheme.

Actually, there are only two rally wheels . I will be using the wheels from the parts car (at least at first)

Camino LS6    866

It looks to be in very decent shape, Camino. First things I noticed after the lack of rust are the tonneau cover tiedown eyes and the aftermarket side moldings, riveted on, I'd have to get rid of those and fill all those holes. It looks like a lot of the trim, like the paint break moldings and bed reveal and back glass reveals are in need of replacement. Those paint break moldings, they're on with rivets and clips, aren't they? Overall, a very sweet starting point with that impressively solid body. Good going, sir!

The four circular, chrome pieces on the quarters are not tonneau-related. Nor are they what I thought they were (the base for side rails), they are actually cargo tie-downs and I'm not sure if they are original or if I want them to stay. The side moldings are original, I believe, and I may just fill those holes instead of replacing them. Yes the other moldings are the rivet/clip type and some of them are pretty bad - I will use the good ones from this car and the parts car and chase down the others through ebay.

The condition of the body itself makes the project worth doing well, I think.

Camino LS6    866

The body is in great shape for it's age. You're very lucky not to have rust. Is that oil I see in one of the pics? Looks like it'll be a sweet car when it's done.

Oh yeah, there's a ton of oil and trans fluid all over the engine compartment and underneath. I wont even be able to evaluate the drivetrain and front suspension until I get a power washer on the job!

Camino LS6    866

Help is always welcomed! 8)

The name of the game right now is evaluation,parts hunting, and plannning.

I need to bid on some stuff on Ebay.

Lookin' good, Camino ... CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Now ... I fully expect you to ENJOY it ;).

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"My heart would always be behind the wheel" ... Ronnie Milsap ... 'Prisoner Of The Highway'

Camino LS6    866

Lookin' good, Camino ... CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Now ... I fully expect you to ENJOY it ;).

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"My heart would always be behind the wheel" ... Ronnie Milsap ... 'Prisoner Of The Highway'

No worries there! :ohyeah:

I'm already enjoying it.

ocnblu    731
Maybe I was looking at that Custom Cloud too long, but I can't tell what they are from the pic. It looks like a set of two halves of something, and the color may or may not be a clue...