Project Camino!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few recent detail pics, showing my refinishing/refreshing of some of the parts. I used a cast finish paint on the spindles, three metallic colors on the brake booster( too make it look like cad plating), and a semi-gloss black on all of the now completely refurbished control arms. Other parts are finished as well, but I don't have pics yet. Expect lots more in the next week or so.

This thing is starting to come together. :thumbsup:

EDIT: I just realized that I left some things out. The entire batch of front end body parts have been beadblasted and DA'd, and were scheduled for etching primer today. I should know on Monday if they got primed. The inner parts will then be cut-in in silver and I'll go pick them up. Also, all of the ball joints and bushings etc. have been installed in the control arms (bitch of a job) and I have decided to replace ALL of the remaining parts of the braking system. The parts aren't too expensive, so now the car will have an entirely new braking system with the exception of the proportioning valve (which now looks new).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I finally got back to the project over the last few days. I completed the sanding/prep and have coated the frame, firewall, inside and outside of the cowl, and the front floor boards with Plastikote "Rust Fix". The stuff works quite well, and despite all of the sanding, I want to have all of these ares well-protected so I have coated everything. The stuff is really strange to work with and coats unevenly, goes on clear then changes to an "ink purple" and when it finally dries it is like a black primer. I plan to re-coat before I move on to primer and paint to get any of the areas where it hasn't "taken" yet. After the stuff finally cures, I'll do the primer and final painting.

After that, it will be time to re-assemble the suspension.

Pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Who knows where we are on this one, I tend to get carried away with the details. :AH-HA_wink:

Seriously though, I expect to have it re-assembled and on the road in a few weeks. The paint job is the real wild card at this point. Getting that done is so damned expensive, but I'm not equipped to do it myself yet. So, I may just hold-off on the paint until the right deal comes along.

Anyway, you are most welcome to come check it out,PCS. The only hangup is that it could well be sold by the time you return to the states. Even so, there are two more projects in the barn already so there will always be something to look at! :lol:

Inch by inch I'm getting there. Last night I did the second coat of "rust fix. today I moved on to two coats of primer and a ton of sanding. I scuffed all of the surfaces and mellowed out some runs and other bad spots on the frame and firewall. The top of the cowl was too rough for my liking so I sanded most of the primer back off to get it a bit smoother. I also screwed-up with the "rust fix" the stuff had pooled inside the cowl and not cured, so I had to literally wipe it out. This meant alot more sanding inside of the cowl- real PITA. Anyway, I'm ready to do the seam sealer and then a bit more sanding, followed by re-priming the top of the cowl and the "rough spots". Then it's time for a light sanding and finish paint! I can't wait to see it all black!

PICS:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I finally finished dealing with the seam sealer. It turned into a major hassle and a time consumer because it never really reached a "sandable" state of hardness. I tried everything to work it and wore out plenty of sanding discs before I hit on a solution. I finally tried some "Goo Gone" on a rag and it worked like a charm (like liquid sandpaper). After I got that situation under control, I shot another coat of primer over all of the sanded areas and all of the top and inside of the cowl ( no pic of the extra primer coat). Then I went to town with the topcoat at last!

I did two heavy coats of semi-gloss black - I think it turned out pretty well.

Pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm hanging parts on this thing!

I have installed the brake proportioning valve, the new stainless brake lines (front), the upper control arms, and some brackets (brake related, etc. I also took the steering column hub apart, prepped and painted the parts, lubed it, and re-assembled it. This is the fun stuff! I'm cleaning/re-conditioning/painting each part as I go, so this may take a bit of time.

Pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've been busy over the last few days, and a good bit of progress has been made.

Now installed:

New brake booster and master cylinder - detailed/ painted had to make the gasket between the booster and the firewall.

re-conditioned and detailed spindles - had to clean and re-use the rubber gasket between the dust shield and the spindle (NAPA had know idea what I was talking about)

re-conditioned/detailed dust shields

upper and lower control arms with new ball joints and bushings

new gas shocks

the rest of the front suspension except for the sway bar - new outer tie rod ends

steering box

I painted the new calipers, rotors, and rear drums and would have the front all installed but NAPA gave me the wrong wheel bearings.

pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an update.

I have installed :

-new rotors

-new races and bearings

-new calipers

-new pads

-new gas shocks

-new sway bar end links and bushings

-new wiper motor w/NOS gasket and washer pump

-re-conditioned sway bar

-re-conditioned cowl plate

-re-conditioned ground straps, hardware,various rubber pieces,steering shaft, brackets etc.

-re-conditioned A/C box (half of it anyway)

I've also started to re-do the wheels I'll be using for this car and have almost all of the remaining parts and hardware that mount to the cowl and firewall cleaned and ready for paint and re-installation. I'm about to tear into the rear brakes, and I've just picked-up a rechromed front bumper off of ebay. All of the parts are cleaned, and/or painted before they are installed. I'm pretty happy with the results so far.

I've noticed a few odd differences between the wagon and the Caminos. The bumper reinforcement of the wagon is a massive, full-length piece, while the Caminos have just two smallish mounting brackets at the frame horns. I'm guessing that it had to do with differing crash standards for trucks and cars. The other difference is an odd one, the wagon has a second, double ground strap that the caminos lack (it's the one near the wiper motor). The caminos have a dimple at the mount point, but no hole. I am also puzzled as to what the double strap is intended to connect to other than the engine block and firewall. The only point that seems within reach is a wiper motor mount which is already well grounded.

pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow, Camino ... lots of progress!

I've been following this since "day 1" ... enjoy what I see, even if I don't post ;).

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I can’t stop driving" ... New Radicals ... 'Someday We'll Know'

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the blasted wheels finished - took forever. I now have a ton of time in these things,

It likely wasn't terribly cost effective to bring them around, but I'm pretty happy with the results.

Here are a few pics right after they were completed today and a preview of how they will look on the car. Now to find the right centercaps and some black lugs for them.

Pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks KC, I can't wait either!

But It's getting mighty chilly in the barn again. :hissyfit:

That it was hence was i was in more of a mood to get out on the road to get trish warmed up again. but the wheels are def awesome. let me know when you need some help.

p.s. i still had to tweek the lights when i got home... a tad too high but now just right

Wow, hard to believe they're the same wheels! Nice job. You need to post a "before" pic with these.

If you wanted to carry your theme of black/chrome to the lugs, you could get some repro Pontiac Rally II lugs that would be chrome with the black center (or red). The ones I got for my '68 are 1/2" thread (from Ames).

What comes next, installing the motor and trans?

Those lugs sound like they might do the job (I'm hoping the local speed shop has some generic black lugs though). The motor and trans will go in soon, but I have some things to complete on the cowl and firewall first and I have to get the rear brakes finished etc. If I can get some heat going out in the barn, I should be able to get all of that done fairly quickly.