Project Camino!

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure I'll be dragging a '77 wagon home real soon. It will be getting the Camino's current drivetrain and giving-up its headers and tru dual exhaust (with cats) to the Camino. It will then be sold to help finance the crate motor for the project.

This wagon is VERY clean, with an amazingly good interior, nothing but small surface rust areas, garage kept almost all of its life, still has factory paint.

It also has a full set of original Rally wheels, if I decide to use them.

That car is too nice- Cort would kill me!

*chuckles*

Ah, Camino ... you know me ... TOO well ;).

That MC sure is nice ... can hardly believe the price on it ...hmmm.....

*pauses*

Actually, death would be too easy ... I think I'd make you choose a 2007 Lumina (2 or 4 door ... your choice) ... and force you to buy and drive it........

*grins devilishly*

Yeah, that sounds like a MUCH better plan ... he he he

BTW ... yeah, I know I don't post much in this thread ... but I certainly keep tabs on it!

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"It's not the car I want" ... George Jones ... 'The Corvette Song'

That's why I won't commit the crime - the punishment is too harsh.

*nods*

As I figured ;). he he ... just glad that you won't commit that crime!

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"The story is between the lines" ... Dave & Sugar ... 'Golden Tears'

Did some quick work so I can get inspection/emission stickers tomorrow ahead of the teardown and...

Whew! I'm tired. But, the job is done (except for a license plate bulb) and I should have stickers tomorrow.

Today, I got set-up with a guy who does sandblasting and chassis painting and he is ready when I am. I figure that I should have the drivetrain transferred to the wagon within the week. Hopefully the disassembly of the front end and all the gingerbread should only take a few more days than that. He's going to prop the body up on wood blocks so he can get to the whole frame and underbelly for painting purposes. I'm going to try to get all of the surfaces as gease-free as possible before I take it to him.

The next few weeks should provide lots of pics for everyone to see and I will do my best to show as much as I can.

Tonight's tech observation: removing the parking lights without an offset screwdriver is a PITA! It can be done, as I managed it, but I would have been much better off if I had found my offset!

Also, the threaded plastic mounts for the headlight adjusters are crap even if they are not broken they are loose. I'll try to remember to replace all 8 when it all goes back together. Fortunately, the parts car provided a serviceable one for now.

I may be using the tailgate from the parts car as it seems to only have a small amount of surface rust. The one on the project car, while entirely rust-free was a bit mangled by some amatuer dent pulling by some previous owner.

While the chassis and underside are being tended to, I need to rig-up some sort of stand to sit the body on when it comes back so I have full access to the chassis to do the suspension, fuel lines/pump, any brake work, etc. Not quite sure how I'm going to do it yet.

Here are some pics of the simple repairs I made last night to pass inspection. The parking lights are GM restoration parts from the El Camino Store, which are exact reproduction that fit perfectly.

The other two shots are the parts car buried under new parts, and what might be the last pic of the car as it is now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also replaced both front marker bulbs and removed a bad license plate bulb which I will pick up on the way to inspection.

Now I'm off to get my stickers.

When you have something with this much potential, how do you choose where to stop? Do you have a time limit, a money limit, or both?

Pride, satisfaction, and a growing approval shown through respect of the car. Once you've gained all three of these things, you're willing to say "I'm done," though you will still be willing to put more money into 'er.

Between yesterday and today, I put at least 100 miles on the Camino and have run across a problem. The TH350 in it seems to have a tendency to get hung up and not shift into 3rd after driving a while. I think that the cable from the carb linkage is getting fouled somehow as it goes back to normal if I wiggle it around by hand. It will foul up again after a while but is fine for the first few shifts into 3rd. I'd like to get this corrected before I put the drivetrain into the wagon. Any and all insights welcomed.

Other than that, the Camino now has stickers for the next year and should be exempt from emisions testing for as long as I own it. I took the headers to be sandblasted ahead of the install into the wagon.

I doubt I'll be able to get back to the project for the next few days since lots of unrelated work has to be done this week. Hopefully, I will still be able to get the engine and trans into the wagon before the cold weather comes back this weekend. We shall see.

That Olds is in great condition. Hey, Norwalk, Ohio, I have been there for the drag strip. It was the Ford Nationals. Anyways I am going to do a drawing of this too. I am also off to a local wrecking yard this Thursday. I'll let you know if I find anything.

That's good then. They look good on the Camino and they just scream Chevy. It will only be a drawing however but I will get it up tomorrow night because I have to go to the wrecking yard in the morning to find some parts and possibly a 318 or 360 because I may take on that Dakota project.

It would be nice as a project. It would probably just be a long one because of the financial aspect and the fact I have never rebuilt a motor. I could at least get the truck and find some motors. The 318s are easy but the 360s aren't around as much anymore.

The weather is not cooperating so no progress to report. I did get the wagon off of the trailer and into the garage next to the Camino, they are both waiting for things to warm up so the drivetrain transplant can happen. I had to push the parts car and the Mothertruck by myself, so they aren't exactly where I want them to be. But, I should have enough room to get the job done when it finally warms up.

Meantime: A new NOS hood is on its way and I'd love to see some more chops/sketches if anyone is up to it. I'm starting to think about a custom interior rather than chasing all of the stock parts down. I'm not sure I want to go with this idea, but a good chop session might convince me. :AH-HA_wink:

If anyone wants to give that a try, let me know and I'll take some interior shots and post them.

I'm starting to think about a custom interior rather than chasing all of the stock parts down. I'm not sure I want to go with this idea, but a good chop session might convince me. :AH-HA_wink:

Are you open to the idea of shoehorning in an interior from a fellow GM A-body? I like the design and layout of the 73-77 Cutty:

Posted Image

Just a thought

Are you open to the idea of shoehorning in an interior from a fellow GM A-body? I like the design and layout of the 73-77 Cutty:

Posted Image

Just a thought

That would be even harder to find than the stock EC stuff!

XP: I think about the swivels as an option, but then I back away because that would really require a console,shifter,and different steering column. I just rebuilt my column afterall.

Still, it's a possibility.

Oh now that is sweet! I would just make absolutely certain that the bed is rust-proofed as well as possible though. Moisture and El Caminos are natural enemies.

I think you'd have to go with a paler color than the one in that photo. Like Oak or Pine or something. Whatever is in that photo has too much red in it to look good with your orange.

I was thinking the same thing,Z. But then I got to wondering if a darker color would work too. So, I sent them an email asking for pics of the different woods. I'm guessing that a white oak would be best.

Edit: Which leads me back to the interior color. If I go with a light wood, then I think a light interior will be required.

I'm guessing that a white oak would be best.

White oak would look awesome with the orange. My father had a bright red 1952 Chevrolet pickup truck that he did over with a white oak bed floor and stainless steel strips between that looked fantastic. I'll see if I can find pictures for you.

Looks like things are going good... I'd probably never get the chance to restore a car like this, so it's exciting to see all the "goings on." Thanks for posting it all!

Just thought I'd chime in on the wood color... What about a light wood, with a grey/black stain?

Done anything else on the Camino since it has gotten warmer? My Dakota project has been delayed or possibly halted for good. Apparently the dealer that let me into it with the Dodge key, had the VIN, started it for me, and had the price doesn't deal with those cars on that other lot which they moved them over there temporarily. That dealer just got new management with new employees that know nothing like this one. However, I found a mint condition 1993 Chevrolet S10 Blazer 2-door for sale. There is absolutely no rust on it which is incredible for those Blazers. A new project may be considered instead.

You might be better off with the Blazer.

Not much new to report on the Camino, except that I went to pick up supplies and the engine hoist today. With any luck the drivetrain transplant from Camino to wagon will take place this weekend.

Get anywhere with that sketch?

The sketch is just about done. I had to do numerous to get it right but I think this one is alright. I will get in here in the forums during the week because I have to work tomorrow and have plenty of homework. However, I have school off on Thursday so it will definitely be done by then. I went to check out the Blazer. Paint is almost perfect but it doesn't have rust on the body because the guy didn't drive it in the winter for some reason but he did have 2 other vehicles. Apparently its 2wd so that may be a reason.

The transplant from Camino to wagon is underway! Black and Blue stopped by to give me a hand and the engine/trans are ready to come out. We would have pulled it tonight but I couldn't find one of the lift brackets I like to use and we were getting tired. So, it will come out tomorrow. I'm too tired to detail what we did today so without further ado, here are some pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image