Our new puppy!

Nick

Our last dog Rosie, a red lab, sadly passed away last september. We have been looking around for another puppy. My mom has been wanting a yellow lab for a long time. We recently found a good breeder who just had a litter of English labs. They are located up north from us, so my uncle who lives up in Morro Bay/SLO took a look at them for us today. We've seen a couple pics of the puppies, but my uncle took some more.

My uncle was actually the one who found us our last dog as well, and he picked up Rosie's sister (who was a black lab who also passed away). My uncle picked up a yellow lab puppy last year which sadly died in a tragic accident, and since then he adopted an older black lab. When he went to go check out the puppies he fell in love with a black lab puppy which he is decided to pick up as well. So once again, we have 2 sister puppies. My uncle picked out the name Stella for his, which is funny because my sister wants to call ours Bella. So their names will be Bella and Stella. They are 7 weeks old right now. They are let go at 8 weeks.

Here are some shots of the puppies.

Here's Bella

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here's Stella

Posted Image

Posted Image

A shot of some of the puppies...

Posted Image

I can't wait to go pick them up next weekend. I miss having a dog.

And here's Stella

Posted Image

I miss having a dog.

Congrats. And you have good taste in dog names...that was my Australian Shepherd's name!

I, too, miss having a dog.

Labs have great personalities. They are great to have around. I am a big fan of Australian Shepherds and Border Collies.

Border Collies.

Border Collies are awful dogs unless you live in the country, better yet on a farm.

Our neighbours had one when I was growing up, and all it would do was chew on things until they let it outside so it could run laps around the back yard (it formed a well worn track all the way around the yard just from running). Then it would get tired, go inside and pass out. Once it woke up it would repeat cycle.

We had a Jack Russell Terrier on the other side. That thing has a glass-piercing bark and never shut up. Another dog I wouldn't want to own.

The only dog I've ever had was a West Highland White Terrier. Basically, a white Scottish Terrier (Scotty). They're smart, and just energetic enough to be fun without being annoying. The only problem is they can rip the crap out of screen doors if there are birds or squirrels outside. They were bred to kill rodents on farms in Scotland.

Border Collies are awful dogs unless you live in the country

They probably didn't have a good one. Both Border Collies and Australian Shepherds are working/herding dogs and have an overabundance of nervous energy. They are also extremely smart. The dog guides warn that, if you own such a dog, you had better be an "on the go" type and that this dog is to be taken along to be exercised.

Our Australian, if left for long periods, say more than a day, would get bored and start digging in the yard out of boredom or maybe spite. Aside from this, she wasn't that problematic. And what a smart and fun dog. They're like "little people" ....so happy to go on a car ride or run on the beach with their owners...

Oh Nick, I just got home and saw the pictures--how cute they are!!

I can't tell you how much I miss having a dog in the house after having lived with one for 3 years. And for the "border collies are awful comment"... Kelly is a border collie. She's phenomenal... she's incredibly smart, and so loving. You just have to provide a border collie with a job, or they make their own, which can be a bad thing. Kelly has 2 jobs... which one she created on her own, and the other was instinctual.

She guards the house nonstop... when I let her out, she runs to the corners of the yard... she lets an alert bark out at each corner to signal everything is okay.

And job number two, even before she was around a child, we always thought she'd be a great mother. Well, when my friends had their daughter, my goddaughter, Kelly watches her 24/7. When my goddaughter is asleep, Kelly is outside her door. When my goddaughter was learning to walk, Kelly made sure she was between her and any hard surfaces. When people entered the home that weren't part of the family, she stood between them and Eve.

We bought a Beagle puppy! She's a sweety!

Posted Image

Are beagles a hassle when they bay? I have always wanted a beagle, but I'm uncertain if it's going to be too noisy for my neighbors (I live in an apartment complex).

Well, when my friends had their daughter, my goddaughter, Kelly watches her 24/7. When my goddaughter is asleep, Kelly is outside her door. When my goddaughter was learning to walk, Kelly made sure she was between her and any hard surfaces. When people entered the home that weren't part of the family, she stood between them and Eve.

That's the mark of a good dog...when it accepts and protects your new offspring like their own. I have a sad story in this regard.

I have a friend who is an architect and lived alone in a small house he bought for himself. Someone (a downtown homeless person) had abandoned a "tortoise shell" pit-bull outside the firm's offices. He had a house, so he was talked into adopting it and taking it home. She was a great dog who really liked people. She knew the sound of my engine as I pulled into his driveway (about once a month or so) and proceeded to come greet me by jumping up on me, licking me and even peeing from the excitement.

He then got married to this lady he worked with. They had a little boy about 2 years ago. This dog has not accepted the child. My friend and his wife keep an eye on both of them and the dog now spends the night in the study (with the door closed) when she used to have the run of the house. This dog does a lot better with bigger people (teens and adults, it seems) because they are not at eye level. Furthermore, she is obviously jealous. The dog hasn't done anything but it either growls or avoids the kid. It could be that, as the kid gets bigger, the dog might come around.

I know that our dog was wary of strangers, but as my friends hung around more, she came to accept them. They can read when you are a family friend, you like them and aren't out to hurt them.