GMC, not GMC trucks

Welcome to 1997 - the last time GMC used the "GMC Trucks" emblem on their vehicles. However, I am not in agreement with you for a change here, or even with GM for dropping "Trucks" back in 1997. I'd rather it stay GMC Trucks here and come back to the division's emblems and advertising (my own personal preference).

Going back even further in GMC's history, while the "GMC" letters were inculded on the grilles of GMC trucks, the emblems also included "General Motors Trucks". Look at the first attached picture - it's from a 1920's GMC grille. The COE (Cab-Over Engine) trucks in the '40s actually had a different emblem that simply stated "General Motors Truck" instead of GMC (see the 2nd attached pic). It was starting with the 1947 redesign that "GMC" was used without "General Motors Trucks". Personally, I think the brand should have been identified as "GMT" (General Motors Trucks) rather than GMC way back in the day.

Too many people confuse GMC with General Motors Corporation - by which I mean people refer to General Motors as "GMC" and not in the sense of General Motors Corportation Trucks. Look at ebay - many General Motors-related products are listed as being GMC -for example, seach GMC dealership poster and you'll find they'll be a Pontiac, Chevy, Buick or Cadillac poster and not just a GMC Truck poster.

This is all just my good ol' :twocents: btw :P

post-418-1174221705_thumb.jpg

post-418-1174221971_thumb.jpg

I have not encountered anyone calling 'GM', 'GMC', but no doubt it happens occasionally.

But personally I am not in favor of emblems reading 'GMC Trucks' again because the 'Trucks' portion is redundant IMO. And so would my vote go for the header: the division's products are branded "GMC", the forum should be the same (in reality- everyone knows what it is either way). Is the Cadillac forum "Cadillac Motor Car Division"?

And yes I'd call the Acadia a truck before I called it a car.

GMC trucks dropped the truck part in the official name just recently. now its just GMC. No trucks. so let's drop the trucks bit ok? Its like apple computer. Now its simply Apple, Inc. No more 'computer'.

I want to know exactly how much GMC Trucks bothers you, Reg. If its alot, I'm totally leaving it up.

:P

My thought on this for a long time has been that the name should be changed to GMT (General Motors Trucks). Now here is where I know I will get some flak from Chevy Truck fans, but I think all trucks need to be sold under GMT, even Chevy trucks. This would take away the dual badges for the same trucks and allow any division of GM to sell trucks in any dealership.

If I were running GM there would be only one truck brand and that would be GMC, or as I would call it GMT.

OK, let me duck and cover! :smilewide:

Well, at one point in time, GMC did manufacture Buses as well so maybe this was used to differeniate the two. I know GMC hasn't made a bus since like 1985 so it just kinda made sense to remove the "Truck" from the nameplate since there is no more GMC BUS or GMC Tractor for that matter, cause GMC sold that all to Volvo.

My thought on this for a long time has been that the name should be changed to GMT (General Motors Trucks). Now here is where I know I will get some flak from Chevy Truck fans, but I think all trucks need to be sold under GMT, even Chevy trucks. This would take away the dual badges for the same trucks and allow any division of GM to sell trucks in any dealership.

If I were running GM there would be only one truck brand and that would be GMC, or as I would call it GMT.

OK, let me duck and cover! :smilewide:

Here, try one of these. :duck: