Been Thinking...

Guest YellowJacket894

Guest YellowJacket894

... About a certain 1969 Firebird that's for sale about five miles away from me. The asking price is $6000 and the car really only needs new tires, some bodywork, and paint to be mostly restored. The interior is in very good shape, although it does need a new headliner (there isn't any sagging ... just a tear above the driver's head ... and if that wasn't there, I really wouldn't spend anything on the interior at all for many years to come), and I wouldn't rule out some engine detailing later down the road.

But, overall, the car is in very solid shape with only minor surface rust in a few places and with solid floorboards and wheel wells. The color is a very faded bright red, which, providing I do buy the car and find a way to get it, will be repainted to Fender Candy Apple Red. It's powered by a Pontiac 350 V8, which sounds lovely I might add, doesn't miss or anything. I can't remember how many miles it had, but it was under 100k (less than my S-10 as a matter of fact, ha!). The numbers do match.

When new, the thought that it looked close to this wouldn't be far off ...

Posted Image

Now, just imagine that in this color ...

Posted Image

...And you'd have my vision of the Firebird I hope to own by this fall.

Now, I'm not saying I know for sure I'm going to get the car very soon. I have to find another job (quitting is fun ... but not when you start missing the paychecks, even if it is minimum wage) first. I also have to finish up squaring away some stuff with the S-10, too: I have to get around to cleaning the exterior up mainly, the pinstriping and all badges are coming off this week, and the bedliner is coming out for the second time and some very minor spots on the truck may finally get repainted, and some minor interior work will get done.

Save for new headlights, taillights, a roll pan, new grille and eventually new wheels and tires, I've abandoned all plans of making a mini-truck or Syclone-killer out of it. I've just come to terms with the fact I'll simply never have the cash and will never have my investment returned. Just getting it looking decent and removing a few years of abuse from it is all I really want to to do it, having a nice daily driver is all that matters.

But, anyway, I know the car isn't going anywhere, either. :AH-HA_wink:

If things prove to work the way I hope they will, the Firebird I'm crossing my fingers for won't be the only classic in my driveway: there was also a 1970 Olds Cutlass Supreme for sale for $2,500 alongside the 'Bird with a big ass Rocket 455. I think my dad wants that one.

Oh yeah. I just wanted to post the following image somewhere. Found it while looking for a car to use as a benchmark for my hopefully upcoming project.

Posted Image

:P

Edited by YellowJacket894

My bro-in-law has owned a '69 350 'bird for many years. Once, it breathed fire thru short duals and Tri-P, but I have not seen it in a lo-oong time and all that while it's been outside. Must be close to death. Med blue with a black interior.

My brother has a '68 'bird race car, 406, PowerGlide, 4.56s, roll cage. Another med blue with a black interior- real nice shape. Car ran a best of 11.4 with a bum motor, currently that motor is apart.

I never cared for the '69's grille & headlight bezels and that thick black gasket that shows; to the point if I was in the market for a 1st gen 'bird it's a deal breaker. I do like the '67-69 overall, a lot, but they are too small for my tastes.

Guest YellowJacket894

Thanks everyone.

I'm already getting the S-10 taken care of (finally!). Today, the pinstripe is officially gone, no more than dust in the air. At first, I had a heat gun to do the job, but it wouldn't seem to heat up after about five or ten minutes, so I invested in a 3M Stripe-Off wheel and the job took about fifteen minutes. The glue is a little hard to get off on the passenger side front quarter panel, but I'm expecting that a quick trip to the car wash will take care of it.

So, here's what I have left to do the S-10:

• New grille (all chrome, from LMC Truck).
  • Euro Parklight Lens Set (from LMC Truck).
  • New taillights.
  • New Rollpan.
  • New eighteen-inch wheels and tires.
  • New paint (when this is done, the bed liner goes for good), see the SEMA Silverado 427 concept.
  • Badges removed (this is next).
  • Fix the wiper stalk.
  • Drop in some bucket seats, new console, and a new shifter boot.
I'll have the truck looking better by June, at the latest. The grille and parklights (maybe the taillights, too) will be here either this coming weekend or the next.

Good luck getting a new job and that '69 Pontiac Firebird. I'd love to find a '68 Firebird myself, especially a convertible. That's my favorite of the '67-'69 1st generation.

Well, the place that has the '69 had a '68 Sport Coupe last year (imagine Sixty-8's old 68 as a Firebird and that's essentially what it looked like), but it's long gone now. There's also a '67 Firebird (with a 350 ... should have a 326, I think) and a '67 Camaro (has a I-6) there, too, but they're in way too poor condition for me to buy.

Edited by YellowJacket894

Good luck getting the 'bird, YJ. If you do get it, hold on to it. Everytime we drive one of our classics we hear people wistfully talk about the cool cars they used to own and wish they still did.

Good luck getting it. Once you make progress on your S10 post pics. I will do the same as well as I have found a project to my liking. A Fiero, non-GT body style, with a 4.9l V8 from a Cadillac Fleetwood. Both cars are at the yard and they would be cheap. An internet site also features step by step instructions on how to install them and everything. They will fit in the Fiero engine compartment as well with a few relocations for some engine accessories, custom exhaust work, cradle modifications, etc. That colour should look good on it.

Guest YellowJacket894

A-Rev, that sounds like a rolling deathtrap ... I want it. :P

Oh yeah, if anyone can tell me what can take the glue off of the passenger-side front-quarter, let me know. It's really determined to stay on there.

A-Rev, that sounds like a rolling deathtrap ... I want it. :P

Oh yeah, if anyone can tell me what can take the glue off of the passenger-side front-quarter, let me know. It's really determined to stay on there.

Goof-off works wonders

Guest YellowJacket894

Well, 3M had something else in their catalog just for my problem: Adhesive Remover. I'm really digging those guys at 3M right now. :P

Also picked up a buffer for seven bucks and some rubbing compound to remove some of the minor scratches on the truck. I have a friend whose grandfather can repaint and do minor bodywork, so I'm ultimately taking the truck to him for a total respray once I install the rollpan.