Delta Township to be First " Tru Flex "

Ghost Dog

http://www.ita.doc.gov/td/auto/RA2005.pdf

pg. 8

GM is also focusing on increasing its manufacturing flexibility. For example, when it
opens its new plant in Delta Township, Michigan in 2006, it will be equipped with a new
manufacturing techno logy that allows vehicles based on different platforms to be built on
the same assembly line. Called “Tru-Flex”, the system is an extension of the C-Flex
bodyshop technology GM currently uses at several assembly plants.

True..........I wonder if this will make union strikes less powerful. Hmmmmm.......

[post="22352"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

most....excellent

SCENARIO: CAW goes on strike. GM is prepared and instead switched theta and impala production to underutilized plants in the US. Rending the CAW strike useless, while at the same time utilizing the UAW "worker pool". Strike ends with GM firing and rehiring (a la NWA mechanics)

if only it happened that way...

aside from the whole union labor/strike thing, its massively beneficial to be able to build multiple models at multiple plants, for demand reasons etc. Imagine if a design is successful, they can crank it up at some underutilized plants and respond to the market quicker. If a model is tanking, scale back and build something else and more efficiently use the manufacturing capacity you have. Other industries have been doing this since basically forever, so its great to see the carmakers being able to start doing this and lessening the harmful strike factor, as well as having more responsive and efficient production. "Hey folks, if you don't wanna build em in Michigan, we'll just build em in Texas", etc.

It is all about the globalization of American companies.

[post="22386"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

but you gotta admit, if it helps them respond to market faster and allows them to more quickly build what the market needs, its still a good thing from that standpoint. It helps them be competitive with other makers that way.

What about fat American comapnies that have killed jobs in smaller countries? Shit happens - but not to America? ie America wants free trade agreements but then protects some industries that other countries (at American insistence) have stopped protecting. I am not in any way anti USA but in order to protect jobs you need to find the edge in different products or by building a better product at a similar price - the CONSUMER demands this!! When was the last time Nike was made in the USA?? Lets face it - GM has p****d around for enough years and is only now starting to look like the global company it should have been years ago. GM is now starting to design vehicles that can be build around the world in simialr plants and altered to suit local conditions as we do not all share the same tastes in styling or powertrains. Flex is the only way to go - or maybe you would like Toyota to be #1?? btw - I love the new Tahoe and I think the 3.8 was a great engine. Not the smoothest but bloody economical and reliable. Only the journo's hated it because it was harsh high in the rev range.

It is all about the globalization of American companies. Which = BS. Or...the way I like to put it...BULLSHIT!

There has never been a time when American jobs have been more at risk than during this administration.

Go figure...Delay is indicted. Such a criminal!

[post="22386"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Indicted must mean guilty to you.

If he is guilty, he should serve his time. If not, questions need to be asked about this DA in Texas.

What policies are in place by this administration that makes American jobs more at risk than any other time?

Indicted must mean guilty to you.

If he is guilty, he should serve his time. If not, questions need to be asked about this DA in Texas.

What policies are in place by this administration that makes American jobs more at risk than any other time?

[post="22397"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree - let's wait to find out if he's guilty

And i don't think the "tru-flex" has anything to do with this administrion?

If anything, "tru-flex" enables GM (US workers) better able to compete in the car market. It cuts costs/labor...

I'm with Derek77 - stay on topic...

Hopefully.

[post="22423"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

if the plants are big enough, a strike can still be crippling, however, if a car can be made globally, any where, any time, and still meet all reg's then it gives GM great flexibility in utilizing all plants and on the fly deciding where the best place is to produce at any time any one of their models. It's a great move. If they strike in Lordstown, for example, and can build the same car in Mexico...they can just shift the production and keep making the cars. That doesn't mean the strike isn't damaging, but it wouldn't totally cripple the company. The net result would be more pressure to the union to get their demands closer to what the end result needs to be.

You guys are really missing the boat on what TRU FLEX really affords. If a car is a Hit GM won't be constrained to the capacity of just 1 plant. If a Car is a Dud GM won't be stuck with a Plants worth of them. Just Build a few of what's hot at the plant with the dud. It's Dynamic production. Build in quantities that they can sell. Not every plant will go Tru Flex anyway. Many will be Architecture specific. (Epsilon,Delta,Theta.....) Those plants won't need to be tru flex as they will be able to build any Vehicle on thier assigned architecture. (The whole interbuildability thing) For what this thread Has turned in to I regret starting it. Edited by Ghost Dog

You guys are really missing the boat on what  TRU FLEX really affords.  If a car is a Hit GM won't be constrained to the capacity of just 1 plant.  If a Car  is a Dud  GM won't be stuck with a Plants worth of them. Just Build a few of what's hot at the plant with the dud.

It's Dynamic production. Build in quantities that they can sell.
Not every plant will go Tru Flex anyway.  Many will be Architecture specific.  (Epsilon,Delta,Theta.....)  Those plants won't need to be tru flex as they will be able to build any Vehicle on thier assigned architecture. (The whole interbuildability thing)
For what this thread Has turned in to I regret starting it.

[post="22553"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

no, i totally get what you are saying as well. its market responsive. but there is a small facet of this that benefits the labor aspect of it as well I think.