2007 Lucerne CXL 3.8 hesitation

chuck

I purchased a 2007 Buick Lucerne with 17500 miles a couple of months ago. It is a CXL with the 3.8 engine.

The car has developed an annoying hesitation when driving at 40-50 mph. The car hesitates/pings/groans unless you give it a bit more gas to turn off the overdrive. The problem is most noticable when using 87 octane gas but it still present when running 93 octane. I've run Techron through the system thinking perhaps the injectors were dirty but that didn't help. The check engine light is not on. To make matters worse the gas peddle vibrates as the car hesitates.

I don't notice the problem when driving around town or when on the highway at 65+ mph. I'm going to take the car to the dealer...but I know what is going to happen...they will drive the car and find nothing wrong and no "codes."

Has anyone else had this problem?

Congrats on a great car, the Lucerne's are excellent vehicles and are top notch in quality. The only suggestion I have is try doing the same kind of thing at the same speed but in 2nd gear. Don't worry you should be able 80mph out of second, I can in my Bonneville. Sometimes just running and winding 'em up is the best to clean 'em out seriously. Some say its an old myth I believe it to be true. I have never noticed it in my 2005 Bonneville SLE with a 3800 Series yours is a Series III although very similar. I have never had that happen mine only has 15,000 miles on it tho. Good Luck I hope you get your problem fixed and keep enjoying your wonderful Lucerne CXL. They are an excellent car!

Edited by gm4life

Congrats on a great car, the Lucerne's are excellent vehicles and are top notch in quality. The only suggestion I have is try doing the same kind of thing at the same speed but in 2nd gear. Don't worry you should be able 80mph out of second, I can in my Bonneville. Sometimes just running and winding 'em up is the best to clean 'em out seriously. Some say its an old myth I believe it to be true. I have never noticed it in my 2005 Bonneville SLE with a 3800 Series yours is a Series III although very similar. I have never had that happen mine only has 15,000 miles on it tho. Good Luck I hope you get your problem fixed and keep enjoying your wonderful Lucerne CXL. They are an excellent car!

Thanks for the reply...I'll try the "Italian tuneup" as you've suggested. I'm also going to take it in to see if the dealer can pinpoint the problem. I've gone through 1/4 tank of 93 octane and the problem isn't noticable. Could be some carbon build up in there somewhere. I'll post my results.

Yes, the Lucerne is a great car. I'm 6'4" so I was looking for a car that fits. I was between the Toyota Avalon and the Buick. I sat in a number of cars and didn't fit, especially in cars with a sunroof. I found that the Toyota had "no soul" and was constantly upshifting and downshifting. I almost bought a CXL V8 but was worried about the gas mileage. I bought my Lucerne used for $22K which I think was pretty good deal. I plan to drive the car for 150K+ miles. I put 20K+ miles per year on my cars. I have a long commute so I wanted a comfortable car.

I bought the car at a dealership over President's Day weekend. Buick had a big sale that week and to my surprise the dealership was packed. My wife and I were the youngest people (36) there.

I live in Maryland and I don't see many Lucernes on the road.

Congrats again what a fine car indeed. Can I ask what color? Floorshift or bench-seat? Heated/Cooled seats? 6 disc CD changer? Nav? Sunroof? Chrome wheels? Anyways I think it might be the build up of hydro-carbons, sometimes no kidding even in a fuel injected modern engine you need to get the cobs well out! You are 36 years old and you are in a Buick, that is great. Seriously Buick might be shaking the old man image after-all. I think you made a wise choice going with a Lucerne over the Crap-alon as I call it. Even tho it is down a few poines still 197hp is still enough to merge and blow-off 4 banger Camry's. I hope that helps with your problem. Once again great car after-all I have a G-body too, a Cranberry Red 2005 Bonneville SLE that shares alot of components with the Lucerne.

• 2 months later...

Congrats again what a fine car indeed. Can I ask what color? Floorshift or bench-seat? Heated/Cooled seats? 6 disc CD changer? Nav? Sunroof? Chrome wheels? Anyways I think it might be the build up of hydro-carbons, sometimes no kidding even in a fuel injected modern engine you need to get the cobs well out! You are 36 years old and you are in a Buick, that is great. Seriously Buick might be shaking the old man image after-all. I think you made a wise choice going with a Lucerne over the Crap-alon as I call it. Even tho it is down a few poines still 197hp is still enough to merge and blow-off 4 banger Camry's. I hope that helps with your problem. Once again great car after-all I have a G-body too, a Cranberry Red 2005 Bonneville SLE that shares alot of components with the Lucerne.

Update: I ran more fuel injector cleaner through the system and the problem has gone away. Must have been carbon buildup.

My CXL has no options. It is light quartz metallic with platinum interior.

Originally I wanted the luxury package, sound system and "driver confidence package" but I found this car for $22K. I've found that I don't miss the options. And I didn't want a sunroof because that cuts down on the headroom. I didn't really need a CD changer either; I just plug in my IPOD to the AUX in plug on the dash. Navigation would be interesting, but really I only drive back and forth to work. I would like to add 18" CXS wheels at some point, take offs are selling for around $1K on ebay.

Just before I bought this car I was also looking at a 2006 CXL V8 with stabilitrack and the drivers confidence package for $26K. The dealer really wanted to move the car but I hesitated on the V8...and then bought the CXL V6. I drive quite a bit so I wanted better gas mileage.

Looking back on it I should have bought the V8. The V6 has plenty of power for daily driving but the V8 model was SMOOTH. On the V8 test drive I opened it up on a long on-ramp. The car was quick from 30-80mph :)

A local dealer has a used 2006 CXS with 21K miles for $24K.

http://www.fitzmall.com/carfind/resultsb.a...117&loc=FOC

I'm tempted to go take a look at it but I suspect I wouldn't do well on a trade. My CXL now has just about 24,000 miles.

I purchased a 2007 Buick Lucerne with 17500 miles a couple of months ago. It is a CXL with the 3.8 engine.

The car has developed an annoying hesitation when driving at 40-50 mph. The car hesitates/pings/groans unless you give it a bit more gas to turn off the overdrive. The problem is most noticable when using 87 octane gas but it still present when running 93 octane. I've run Techron through the system thinking perhaps the injectors were dirty but that didn't help. The check engine light is not on. To make matters worse the gas peddle vibrates as the car hesitates.

I don't notice the problem when driving around town or when on the highway at 65+ mph. I'm going to take the car to the dealer...but I know what is going to happen...they will drive the car and find nothing wrong and no "codes."

this happens to my 99 monte 3.1 with ~140k miles on it. but it occasionally idles rough and can feel it driving around under 2k rpms. throws a misfire cyl. 4 once in awhile.

Ugh, I want a CXS so badly, but just can't afford it! What killed me last night was I was pulling my goddaughter around in her wagon down her block when we passed a parked Lucerne CXL V8 in Sagemist. It was so funny because she's only 2.5, and she saw the Buick insignia and said, "Ucoo Pawee's car!" I couldn't believe she recognized the logo! I picked her up, swung her around and said, "Yeah, I wish!" :AH-HA_wink:

Ugh, I want a CXS so badly, but just can't afford it! What killed me last night was I was pulling my goddaughter around in her wagon down her block when we passed a parked Lucerne CXL V8 in Sagemist. It was so funny because she's only 2.5, and she saw the Buick insignia and said, "Ucoo Pawee's car!" I couldn't believe she recognized the logo! I picked her up, swung her around and said, "Yeah, I wish!" :AH-HA_wink:

In due time Paolino.. In due time you will own one. This is just not the season. Do not grow faint of heart and be weary for when the season arrives, you will get the desire of you heart. Hold on, hold out and do not lose hope.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

I just drove a Lucerne today and had the same scenario. I can't believe it! It almost felt as if the engine was trying to shut off while driving. It often idled rough too. Never driven one before, no idea what it was. There MUST be a TSB on it, I thought I was driving a carbureted vehicle- porly running at that. I'm gonna suggest to the owner to try some injector cleaner. Thanks for the tip!

In my opinion the Italian Tuneup works too... that's what I did for a few days in the Cavalier, stepping on it a little heavy on onramps and hills on the expressway... it made a world of difference! You just need to make it sweat to clean the crap out of there!

Well thanks to the steep depreciation curve on these cars, you should be able to buy one soon! I did more searching on autotrader.com and found a 2007 CXS for $22K! (w/30K miles). There are several others listed near me for $23-25K with around 30K miles.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=226835176

I bet in another year they will be selling for $16K - $22K.

Edited by chuck